Esteemed Contributor

Poll says 69% would stop giving gifts if family and friends agreed..

There is a poll that says 69% of the people polled said they would like to stop giving gifts if family and friends also agreed to stop...

I know in our family we only buy for the kids now.......it got out of hand and expensive......

Honored Contributor

Re: Poll says 69% would stop giving gifts if family and friends agreed..

I scaled back (gift giving)  a few years. No need to go into debt  or have the need to recipicate how much they spend on you. The holidays IMO should be about being with friends/family, if one celebrates it.

Respected Contributor

100% of me agrees

Honored Contributor

I like it also, especially if it brings a renewed focus on the true meaning of Christmas.

Honored Contributor

Totally agree! We are Blessed and enjoyed giving but the list kept growing. We finally decreased from 29 to 5. During the holidays we still entertain and visit with the others. We have more get together with finger foods or just coffee and pie and play board games or have a special movie night, so much more fun and less expense and stress. SouthernBee 

Honored Contributor

We do the same. Kids only and then a Secret Santa for the adults which I would do away with in a heartbeat.  It's so stupid to pass $50 back and forth every year.

I have also scaled way back on the kids especially as they have gotten older.  They get so much from everyone, they don't need as much.

I found that Christmas is the one time of year I actually start buying a lot of stuff for me.  I really stick to a strict budget most of the time but holidays I loosen it up and get frivolous with some interests of mine.  And that's the kind of gift giving I love to do.  Smiley Happy  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We stopped exchanging with the adults in the family a few years ago.  Everyone agreed it was such a relief and took the pressure off.  We only give to the children in our family.  I actually enjoy shopping for them and am able to spend a little more on each child.

Honored Contributor

A little surprised that it is that high.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

We stopped exchanging with the adults in the family a few years ago.  Everyone agreed it was such a relief and took the pressure off.  We only give to the children in our family.  I actually enjoy shopping for them and am able to spend a little more on each child.

@twinsister   My family, too.    When the "children" turned 18, it way "bye-bye Santa".    If cousins wanted to exchange among themselves, it was up to them.   Most didn't.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I guess we are part of the 31% who still like giving gifts to family and friends. I enjoy everything about gift giving....from picking out the "perfect" presents to the wrapping them up and giving them. I cannot imagine Christmas without even a little something for those I love. And my grandson's face on Christmas with no presents under the tree? He would think "Santa" hadn't arrived.