Respected Contributor

Police warn pet owners of tennis ball bombs

From ABC 7 Chicago:

Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:41PM
Authorities are warning pet owners about tennis balls filled with firecrackers or other explosives ahead of the Fourth of July weekend.

Police in Kent, Wash., shared a photo and explained how to identify the homemade bombs in response to a question at a recent community meeting.

"A tennis ball bomb is very easy to identify. It is a real tennis ball that has some sort of fuse sticking out of it. Here is a picture of one. The tennis ball could also be completely wrapped in duct tape with a fuse sticking out," the Kent Police Department wrote on its Facebook page.

In February, a Washington man discovered several homemade bombs - including one tennis ball bomb - in a park, KING-TV reported. It's not clear if any tennis ball bombs had surfaced recently.

The tennis ball bombs can pose a risk to pets as well as people. Anyone who sees a tennis ball that appears to have been tampered with or has a fuse sticking out of it should contact 911.
_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Re: Police warn pet owners of tennis ball bombs

Love the 4th of July. My dog and I hate the fireworks.Woman Mad

Honored Contributor

This is why I prefer animals to people.  People are sick.  No offensive meant but there are so many idiots out there and you never know who or where they are.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Our local news reported this the other day - what a horrid thing to do. Cat Mad

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Preds wrote:

This is why I prefer animals to people.  People are sick.  No offensive meant but there are so many idiots out there and you never know who or where they are.

This! Plus my first thought was 'oh good grief'.   

There are lots of good people out there, several of whom I care about to varying degrees.  But, as a species, I'm just not impressed.  Smiley Wink

Anyway, hope everybody and their innocent pets stay safe.   Have to tell the husband about this in case, when they're on their outing, they see an innocent-looking tennis ball out there.  Smiley Sad   No brain, no pain.  SMH

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing like giving the nuts more ideas.

Trusted Contributor

Lovely ~ Just yesterday I was planting some ferns in the fairy garden and noticed a tennis ball on our side of the fence.  I didn't give it a second thought ~ figured it belonged to the neighbor's dogs and picked it up and threw it back in their yard.  It's kind of sick that now you have to think twice about handling something as common as a tennis ball.  Thank you for posting this ~ I'll have to tell my husband as he walks our large dogs and one of them likes to find things and bring them home (we've had a few discussions about this, my husband and I)...

I am dreading this weekend!  We have three dogs, one of which is TERRIFIED of fireworks.  At a little over 100 pounds you can't control her when she's scared and trying to hide in an area that her big body can't fit into.  I bought some of those treats that are supposed to calm your dog during thunderstorms, fireworks, etc.  It has the same ingredient in it as turkey so will hopefully make her sleep.  I hate giving them anything but the vet confirmed that it is safe and all natural.  We never go anywhere on the 4th, but my birthday is the 2nd and we will go to my parent's house (which is next door) and have a barbeque early on the 4th.  Then it's home to take care of the pups!  Be safe everyone and please watch over your pets.  :-)

Respected Contributor

That's sickening.

We dislike the 4th of July celebrations for several reasons -- at the top of the list because the fireworks terrify the animals.

Respected Contributor

I honestly don't know wth is wrong with people anymore. 

Respected Contributor

How nice.  They've provided instructions for any axx holes who never heard of the things.  Now it will spread like wildfire.  Just in time for the 4th.