Respected Contributor

Re: Police Officer's Open Letter to ticketed 18 yr old

@chickenbutt wrote:

@shopperqvc wrote:

I used to drive both the highways and back roads for work. I can't begin to count the number of men I saw driving in to work while reading the newspaper. The women primping for work while behind the wheel. The young people sitting there driving and dancing. I remember a school friends father driving the family somewhere while he was drinking a beer. A neighbor falling out of his truck and crawling across the street to his house because as he ssaid he was too drunk to walk. All the things people did/do while they are holding the lives of everyone near them in their hands. I loved to drive years ago, but I've gotten to the point where I'd rather stay home where it's more safe. Speed limit signs and stop signs have become suggestions. And this idea of slow traffic keep to the right on a 4 lane road means those going the posted maximum speed keep right. Those going well over the maximum speed, keep left. 

Probably the most egregious case of 'doing other stuff while driving' I've ever seen was a guy who had a full dinner-size plate of food that he was balancing on top of the steering wheel (I kid you not!).

He was kind of holding the plate and the steering wheel together with a knife in one hand and a fork in the other  as he ate and drove.

Needless to say, I got the heck away from this guy.  This was before cell phones, or I might have considered calling him in before I got away from him.     That was just a bit too much.  

I remember the woman speeding on the highway breast feeding!  LOL that was all over the news!

Honored Contributor

Now THIS is a PSA.

Past Sunday morning in a noted dangerous intersection.

No other details....but speed, either on her part or someone else, 

had to have been involved.

In this case, the focus is on SEATBELTS.

Saved her life. 

AF7604B9-0FC1-4419-98CB-5CF4D593AC39.jpeg

Respected Contributor

It's not just teens. Adults wno should know better are speeding and distracted every day. None of us are safe anywhere anymore.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Trusted Contributor

I hope the keys to that car are taken from that kid.  100 mph? Seriously, how stupid can you be? 

If it were my kid those keys wouldn't be back in their hands for months.  That cop did that kid a huge favor.  

Esteemed Contributor

@catwhisperer

You are absolutely correct, it is not just teens.  The following is what my daughter's ex-husband did two years ago.  He was driving on surface streets in broad daylight at 95 miles an hour, crashed into three parked cars totalling them and badly injuring himself.  He had an open whisky bottle in the car and was so drunk that when they got him to the hospital they put him in self induced coma and had to cleanse his body of alcohol before surgery.  He no longer has a driver's license, can't work due to his injuries and applied for disability. 

Thank God he didn't hit any other drivers or pedestrians and I hope he never gets a drivers license again because he will go right back to his old habits.  Some people are just plain irresponsible no matter what age they are.   Every time  I drive onto my driveway I breath a sigh of relief, it is so dangerous out there.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

This reminds me of that old “letter” from the Ann Lander’s column entitled, Dead at Seventeen.  Every new teen driver should read it. Always brings tears to my eyes. 

Esteemed Contributor

Great letter thanks for posting.  And I too have witnessed "soon to be problems" on the road.  1.  Driving excessively fast  2.  Weaving in and out  3.  Taking the shoulder and using it as a lane to pass fast and furious.  4.  Having fun, moving in front of a car and stopping short and laughing  5. Balancing a syrofoam plate on the steering wheel and having dinner while driving  6.  Reading a newspaper or magazine propped up on the steering wheel. 7.  Motorcycles racing between lanes at high speed  8.  Racing cars completing with each other.   These are just a few.  When I return home safely from any drive I feel  lucky.  It is getting worse and I see less and less police presence.  

Regular Contributor

I am one of those people who received the devastating news from the police. I am the daughter of the victims. Twenty five years ago on December 1 my parents were hit by a 19 year old with a car full of kids who turned left in front of my dad in a 45 mph zone.  My mom died at the scene and my dad suffered for 6 more weeks till he died.  I have zero patience for reckless drivers no matter what the age.  What gives you the right to do as you please on the road so many lives are effected.  You don't really get over it just used to it.