Valued Contributor

Re: Police Officer's Open Letter to ticketed 18 yr old

I used to drive both the highways and back roads for work. I can't begin to count the number of men I saw driving in to work while reading the newspaper. The women primping for work while behind the wheel. The young people sitting there driving and dancing. I remember a school friends father driving the family somewhere while he was drinking a beer. A neighbor falling out of his truck and crawling across the street to his house because as he ssaid he was too drunk to walk. All the things people did/do while they are holding the lives of everyone near them in their hands. I loved to drive years ago, but I've gotten to the point where I'd rather stay home where it's more safe. Speed limit signs and stop signs have become suggestions. And this idea of slow traffic keep to the right on a 4 lane road means those going the posted maximum speed keep right. Those going well over the maximum speed, keep left. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Yes, we need to be reminded to travel safely &

within the parameters of the law.  

That really goes without saying.

But...

I’m not a fan of these Police-releasing-lawbreaking-accounts

in a beautifully written Facebook post. 

I would think posts of Driving Under the Influence stops

would be more impactful...and timely...during the Holiday season.

I’m more fearful of the 50-yr old driving after a few drinks

coming home on a Wednesday night from the office 

Holiday Happy Hour than a 18yr old speeding on a Sunday morning,

but that’s just me. 

Speeding? Yes, it can kill just like drinking & everything else,

but I guarantee an 18-yr kid is not going to think ‘I better slow down’

if/when they read this Facebook post. 

I’m glad he was stopped for speeding, breaking the law is

breaking the law, but my wish is to have a message of 

not drinking go viral. #MADD #Holiday2018

Having grown up and living in this community I follow this Facebook account.  They often post about things that have happened in the community.  The post does not mention the person's name, but the police blotters published in the weekly paper will.  

This was an actual event that happened, not a holiday reminder.  There have been a number of horrific accidents and they have a toll on the officers who have to respond.  This was a personal heart felt message from an officer who made the stop.  At that speed it is hard not to imagine the worse.

The message transcends just speeding, 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@shopperqvc wrote:

I used to drive both the highways and back roads for work. I can't begin to count the number of men I saw driving in to work while reading the newspaper. The women primping for work while behind the wheel. The young people sitting there driving and dancing. I remember a school friends father driving the family somewhere while he was drinking a beer. A neighbor falling out of his truck and crawling across the street to his house because as he ssaid he was too drunk to walk. All the things people did/do while they are holding the lives of everyone near them in their hands. I loved to drive years ago, but I've gotten to the point where I'd rather stay home where it's more safe. Speed limit signs and stop signs have become suggestions. And this idea of slow traffic keep to the right on a 4 lane road means those going the posted maximum speed keep right. Those going well over the maximum speed, keep left. 

Probably the most egregious case of 'doing other stuff while driving' I've ever seen was a guy who had a full dinner-size plate of food that he was balancing on top of the steering wheel (I kid you not!).

He was kind of holding the plate and the steering wheel together with a knife in one hand and a fork in the other  as he ate and drove.

Needless to say, I got the heck away from this guy.  This was before cell phones, or I might have considered calling him in before I got away from him.     That was just a bit too much.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much, @IamMrsG, for the timely and important message.  You've done a public service in passing that along.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Thank you so much, @IamMrsG, for the timely and important message.  You've done a public service in passing that along.

I agree, thank you @IamMrsG

Honored Contributor

I certainly get where that cop is coming from, but my dad was a cop and he had a lead foot. I hated when I was late for school and he had to drive me, I was scared to death and it wasn't an option for me to tell him to slow down.

Honored Contributor

It's a good reminder to look in the mirror and reflect.

Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG: I have a 17yo son who will soon be driving. I will share this with him! Thanks for posting.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell@Lucky Charm and @Foolywooly11  I am glad you recognized my intention.  As 'they' say, "If just one person..." 

Foolywooly, I sincerely hope your son sees and remembers the wisdom in this officer's letter.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Oznell@Lucky Charm and @Foolywooly11  I am glad you recognized my intention.  As 'they' say, "If just one person..." 

Foolywooly, I sincerely hope your son sees and remembers the wisdom in this officer's letter.  

Me, too! I can say it to him, but sometimes I think they need to hear it from someone else. Thanks