Esteemed Contributor

Re: Police Office targeted and murdered in Ohio

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@deeva wrote:

I wish more good cops would stand up against the blue wall of silence when they see their fellow officers abuse citizens and falsify reports.

Why are Police Officers singled out, there need to be this peer review in all professions.  Teachers, Doctors, Social Workers etc., there are numerous reports in these professions yet no one is on the streets protesting about these abuses. 

Oh I think it's implicit that we expect peer review in all professions dealing with the publilc. There is a tendency in some to not necessarily cover for, but to turn the other way at colleagues who are violators of trust or the law. It is a problem in many places.

I have to disagree that they "just turn the other way" when they see these abuses.  If it is not reported it is covering it up, in many cases resulting in devastating consequences.  Yet you did not answer the question as to why Police Officers are being singled out as a profession while other professions get a pass.

I used the term "cover for," meaning lie for the person. Instead they may turn the other way. Of course they are both complicit in whatever is going on that shouldn't be. One chooses not to know the details; the other may fabricate a story to obfuscate.  Satisfied? As to why LE is singled out? It seems obvious that crimes and police action are reported in newspapers and broadcast news on a daily basis. We have a separate section in my town's newspaper called Crime Report. You don't see an everyday occurrence reported on doctor's offices, etc. Also in the age of social media, cell phone cams, etc. more and more of the public are filming incidents where in the past we were given ONLY the LE film or testimony. Nobody follows patients in a doctor's exam room or operating theater with cameras, etc. Next question??????

Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Seems to me that too many are forgetting that policemen and women are all human.  There isn't one among us who can't be pushed too far, or who can be threatened to the point of panic or a temporary loss of reason - we all have an inbred need to defend and protect ourselves. For the few who may go too far, there are thousands who manage to handle difficult situations with reasonable care.  Why do we want to throw out the baby with the bath water?  The world is full of people who live for an opportunity to challenge authority. Sometimes it just goes too far.

Throw the baby out with the bath water? So what would you suggest we do? Just ignore what has happened all too often with LE??? Sweep it under the rug?  When part of your job deals with a lethal weapon, you had better have control of your emotions and have a handle on how to deal with difficult situations. If not, find another profession.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@60sgirl wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@deeva wrote:

I wish more good cops would stand up against the blue wall of silence when they see their fellow officers abuse citizens and falsify reports.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I so agree with you both.  This is a HUGE problem and it has been for probably as long as any of us have been alive.

I'm kind of surprised that some are not familiar with this concept.  Maybe some of us are at an advantage in that regard, but it's extremely easy to find a zillion examples of this.

It's a fraternity of sorts.  If you don't play the game the way they want you to play it, you will be at peril - to say the least.

BTW, I saw in the OP that it is believed that everybody thinks all LE officers are bad.  Nobody has EVER said that so that notion needs to be reeled in.  There is plenty of good and plenty of bad everywhere, but to think in such absolutes is unrealistic.

Really? Just stop that., Quote where in the OP I said EVERBODY. I said
people think" but of course someone who is looking for a reason to disagree would say that my statement means "everybody" because I did not use ther term some people think.  As for a zillion examples, really? That many examples would signify more bad than good cops covering up because I doubt that a ZILLION criminal acts are committed in the first place. 

Talk about skewering the facts!  And BTW, I posted a link to this officer's murder. Where is the remorse for an innocent LE officer being targeted and killed? 

I think it's a forgone conclusion that we send our sympathy to the officer's family and feel sadness for his death. I think people have expressed that here. However, you opened this up to debate when you added this statement, "And people think LE officers are always to blame when a suspect gets killed."

The fact of the matter is people in the universal sense DON'T thiink officers are ALWAYS to blame. And not one person said this victim of violence was to blame for anything. If you wanted this thread to be only a memorial for the officer, then perhaps you should have left YOUR judgmental statement out of it. 

Rest in Peace, Officer Thomas Cottrell.

Trusted Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@deeva wrote:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I so agree with you both.  This is a HUGE problem and it has been for probably as long as any of us have been alive.

I'm kind of surprised that some are not familiar with this concept.  Maybe some of us are at an advantage in that regard, but it's extremely easy to find a zillion examples of this.

It's a fraternity of sorts.  If you don't play the game the way they want you to play it, you will be at peril - to say the least.

BTW, I saw in the OP that it is believed that everybody thinks all LE officers are bad.  Nobody has EVER said that so that notion needs to be reeled in.  There is plenty of good and plenty of bad everywhere, but to think in such absolutes is unrealistic.

people think" but of course someone who is looking for a reason to disagree would say that my statement means "everybody" because I did not use ther term some people think.  As for a zillion examples, really? That many examples would signify more bad than good cops covering up because I doubt that a ZILLION criminal acts are committed in the first place. 

Talk about skewering the facts!  And BTW, I posted a link to this officer's murder. Where is the remorse for an innocent LE officer being targeted and killed? 

I think it's a forgone conclusion that we send our sympathy to the officer's family and feel sadness for his death. I think people have expressed that here. However, you opened this up to debate when you added this statement, "And people think LE officers are always to blame when a suspect gets killed."

The fact of the matter is people in the universal sense DON'T thiink officers are ALWAYS to blame. And not one person said this victim of violence was to blame for anything. If you wanted this thread to be only a memorial for the officer, then perhaps you should have left YOUR judgmental statement out of it. 

yes because I should know that people on this forum take everything literally and if someone posts something without going over their comments with a fine toothcomb to make sure it contains the proper words, syntax, adverbs, and so on, others will find your omissions to be some sort of hidden agenda.  

I said people without saying some people so of course for those looking to make a stink they will say I meant to say EVERYBODY. Don't presume to know what I meant to say. I made no judgmental statement whatsover. None. Oh, and in my first sentence here I should have said some people on this forum so no one thinks I mean everybody. 

I had no intention of opening this up for debate. LITERALLY. 

BTW, funny how you had no problem with the poster who agrees with you using the word zillions of times, is that an accurate statement? Are we to believe that literally zillions of times LE officers cover up crimes? 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Esteemed Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@deeva wrote:

Why are Police Officers singled out, there need to be this peer review in all professions.  Teachers, Doctors, Social Workers etc., there are numerous reports in these professions yet no one is on the streets protesting about these abuses. 

Oh I think it's implicit that we expect peer review in all professions dealing with the publilc. There is a tendency in some to not necessarily cover for, but to turn the other way at colleagues who are violators of trust or the law. It is a problem in many places.

I have to disagree that they "just turn the other way" when they see these abuses.  If it is not reported it is covering it up, in many cases resulting in devastating consequences.  Yet you did not answer the question as to why Police Officers are being singled out as a profession while other professions get a pass.

I used the term "cover for," meaning lie for the person. Instead they may turn the other way. Of course they are both complicit in whatever is going on that shouldn't be. One chooses not to know the details; the other may fabricate a story to obfuscate.  Satisfied? As to why LE is singled out? It seems obvious that crimes and police action are reported in newspapers and broadcast news on a daily basis. We have a separate section in my town's newspaper called Crime Report. You don't see an everyday occurrence reported on doctor's offices, etc. Also in the age of social media, cell phone cams, etc. more and more of the public are filming incidents where in the past we were given ONLY the LE film or testimony. Nobody follows patients in a doctor's exam room or operating theater with cameras, etc. Next question??????

Not sure why you have such an attitude, but once again I disagree with your "It seems obvious...."  The crime report section is to report police activity, not the wrong doing of police officers - them doing their job.  I do not see everyday incidents of police, or any other profession, wrong doing. Yet media, activists, criminals etc seem to be targeting Police Officers on a daily basis.  This officer was killed simply because he was a police officer,  and in my opinion this killers rage was fueled by the constant public bashing of the law enforcement profession.  Would also like also add that video snippets do not always tell the whole story or situations, however that is all you ever see on social media further feeding the frenzy.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@60sgirl wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@deeva wrote:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

yes because I should know that people on this forum take everything literally and if someone posts something without going over their comments with a fine toothcomb to make sure it contains the proper words, syntax, adverbs, and so on, others will find your omissions to be some sort of hidden agenda.  

I said people without saying some people so of course for those looking to make a stink they will say I meant to say EVERYBODY. Don't presume to know what I meant to say. I made no judgmental statement whatsover. None. Oh, and in my first sentence here I should have said some people on this forum so no one thinks I mean everybody. 

I had no intention of opening this up for debate. LITERALLY. 

BTW, funny how you had no problem with the poster who agrees with you using the word zillions of times, is that an accurate statement? Are we to believe that literally zillions of times LE officers cover up crimes? 

Okay. WHATEVER you say. You had no agenda at all. Didn't see the "zillions" comment, but I do have a problem with that as well. So shoot me.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@deeva wrote:

Not sure why you have such an attitude, but once again I disagree with your "It seems obvious...."  The crime report section is to report police activity, not the wrong doing of police officers - them doing their job.  I do not see everyday incidents of police, or any other profession, wrong doing. Yet media, activists, criminals etc seem to be targeting Police Officers on a daily basis.  This officer was killed simply because he was a police officer,  and in my opinion this killers rage was fueled by the constant public bashing of the law enforcement profession.  Would also like also add that video snippets do not always tell the whole story or situations, however that is all you ever see on social media further feeding the frenzy.

And I disagree with you. So that makes us even. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@tantallum wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

In EVERY field there are the ugly; police are no exception..nor are doctors...nor are teachers...etc. But, the MAJORITY are good people doing their very best. We have allowed many to portray the police as ALL being horrible humans and so...what this murderer did is to be expected and I'm sure applauded by too many.

This is very true.  and the issue about police being portrayed in a not-so-good light, I fault those few bad apples that have had the trust of the community put in them and they have essentially committed crimes while wearing badges.  If I were a polic officer, THAT is who I would be mad at.  However, I HIGHLY doubt that "what this murder did will be applauded by many".  That is an awful thing to say and when thigns like that are said, it contributes to the problem...

I live in Chicago, so there is a huge problem here right now with all of this....  I do hope trust is restored on both sides soon.

Terrible thing to say? No, just the truth. There are those who support, encourage and celebrate when these things happen. To say people don't is to sweep the problem under the rug.

There are multiple problems on BOTH sides of the coin; this is just one of them.

Oh come on now.  You truly believe that the murder of an innocent police officer will 'be applauded by many'??  Sure, there might be one or two looney toons out there (perhaps the anti-government types that are in Oregon for example) but just because someone wants police accountability does not mean that person is against police officers.  

There are not two different sides of the coin.  We should all be on the SAME side of the coin, which is professional police officers doing their jobs properly and responsibly and SAFELY, being respected for doing so, and of course going home to their families every night. 

Valued Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Seems to me that too many are forgetting that policemen and women are all human.  There isn't one among us who can't be pushed too far, or who can be threatened to the point of panic or a temporary loss of reason - we all have an inbred need to defend and protect ourselves. For the few who may go too far, there are thousands who manage to handle difficult situations with reasonable care.  Why do we want to throw out the baby with the bath water?  The world is full of people who live for an opportunity to challenge authority. Sometimes it just goes too far.

Police officers do have to deal with the worst of the worst in society.  There are evil people in this world.  Some because they are born that way, others because they have had such horrible lives that they do not care what happens to them and who they hurt along the ride.  And cops have to deal with that day in, day out.  No question it is a tough job.  But not just anyone can or should be trusted with that job.  As has been mentioned, thousands manage to handle these difficult situations professionally and properly.  Which means it certainly can be done, and we should expect it to be done!   Not to say there will never be a mistake made, ever.  The issue is not a rare honest mistake, but rather the few officers who egregiously and/or repeatedly violate the trust we place in them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@naturalfan wrote:

Perhaps John should look up the case of John Burge in Chicago who was accused and FINALLY went to jail after torturing suspects for nearly 20 years.  He was convicted of torturing over 200 suspects, some of whom were later released as he had TORTURED 1confessions out of them.

John knows nothing about this case other than what you have said above. Sounds like he was found guilt and is now where he belongs.

I would like to hear what John has to say after the Federal investigation of the Chicago Police Department is completed and released.

John's says Chicago should do something to stop the number of murders in their city. John believes if Rham can't come up with a solution, the Feds should be called in to investigate. John says from the Mayor on down.

Wonder no more, John has spoken.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)