Honored Contributor

Re: Police Office targeted and murdered in Ohio

@tantallum wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

In EVERY field there are the ugly; police are no exception..nor are doctors...nor are teachers...etc. But, the MAJORITY are good people doing their very best. We have allowed many to portray the police as ALL being horrible humans and so...what this murderer did is to be expected and I'm sure applauded by too many.

This is very true.  and the issue about police being portrayed in a not-so-good light, I fault those few bad apples that have had the trust of the community put in them and they have essentially committed crimes while wearing badges.  If I were a polic officer, THAT is who I would be mad at.  However, I HIGHLY doubt that "what this murder did will be applauded by many".  That is an awful thing to say and when thigns like that are said, it contributes to the problem...

I live in Chicago, so there is a huge problem here right now with all of this....  I do hope trust is restored on both sides soon.

Terrible thing to say? No, just the truth. There are those who support, encourage and celebrate when these things happen. To say people don't is to sweep the problem under the rug.

There are multiple problems on BOTH sides of the coin; this is just one of them.

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I wish more good cops would stand up against the blue wall of silence when they see their fellow officers abuse citizens and falsify reports.

I wish doctors and lawyers would do the same thing. Nurses try but pay the price. In a world when the majority are one paycheck from losing it all, it's easy to see why people keep their mouths shut.

Trusted Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

@naturalfan wrote:

Perhaps John should look up the case of John Burge in Chicago who was accused and FINALLY went to jail after torturing suspects for nearly 20 years.  He was convicted of torturing over 200 suspects, some of whom were later released as he had TORTURED confessions out of them.

The officer who killed the young man by pumping 16 shots into him was also involved in other shootings.  I would like to hear what John has to say after the Federal investigation of the Chicago Police Department is completed and released.

Is every officer bad?  No.  By the way, I believe that the information about the shooting mentioned in my second paragraph was given to a reporter by a police officer who was disgusted by all the abuse he witnessed.  The reporter started asking for information and that is how the info on this case became known.

in a court of law, that's  called hearsay and inadmissible. If it can't be verified, it doesn't exist, he said, she said kind of thing.  Similar to someone at work, any job, seeing an employee come in late every day and not getting fired and the witness says to another employee "I'm sick of seeing all this abuse and nothing being done about it" while in reality it is one person being late all the time and that fact being stretched to say "all this abuse". People use terms like always, never, all the time in a casual sense that in no way mean always, never, and all the time. 

Well I guess with the video that is available,  it's not really a question of he said, she said.  It is there for all to see.

Trusted Contributor

@naturalfan wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

@naturalfan wrote:

Perhaps John should look up the case of John Burge in Chicago who was accused and FINALLY went to jail after torturing suspects for nearly 20 years.  He was convicted of torturing over 200 suspects, some of whom were later released as he had TORTURED confessions out of them.

The officer who killed the young man by pumping 16 shots into him was also involved in other shootings.  I would like to hear what John has to say after the Federal investigation of the Chicago Police Department is completed and released.

Is every officer bad?  No.  By the way, I believe that the information about the shooting mentioned in my second paragraph was given to a reporter by a police officer who was disgusted by all the abuse he witnessed.  The reporter started asking for information and that is how the info on this case became known.

in a court of law, that's  called hearsay and inadmissible. If it can't be verified, it doesn't exist, he said, she said kind of thing.  Similar to someone at work, any job, seeing an employee come in late every day and not getting fired and the witness says to another employee "I'm sick of seeing all this abuse and nothing being done about it" while in reality it is one person being late all the time and that fact being stretched to say "all this abuse". People use terms like always, never, all the time in a casual sense that in no way mean always, never, and all the time. 

Well I guess with the video that is available,  it's not really a question of he said, she said.  It is there for all to see.

so you're saying someone videotaped a police officer saying he was disgusted by all the abuse he sees? That statement is on tape? And he is still on the force? 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Trusted Contributor

No, I am saying that that is how this case came to light,  After receiving information from an informant, the reporter submitted a FOIA and that is how the case came to light.  If the reporter had not submitted the FOIA, this would just be another fatal  shooting of a young man by the Chicago Police.

Trusted Contributor

@naturalfan wrote:

No, I am saying that that is how this case came to light,  After receiving information from an informant, the reporter submitted a FOIA and that is how the case came to light.  If the reporter had not submitted the FOIA, this would just be another fatal  shooting of a young man by the Chicago Police.

so then my original post of hearsay stands since he is not videotaped saying he is sick of the abuse. 

Trusted Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

In EVERY field there are the ugly; police are no exception..nor are doctors...nor are teachers...etc. But, the MAJORITY are good people doing their very best. We have allowed many to portray the police as ALL being horrible humans and so...what this murderer did is to be expected and I'm sure applauded by too many.

I doubt very much if what this murderer did will be "applauded by many" or that there are "many" who portray all police as horrible.  Just like everything else, there are always a few very loud voices on either side of an issue and others who use every opportunity to try to capitalize on situations like this.  

May this police officer RIP and may his family find some solice in their memories of him and their love for each other.  Thoughts and prayers for his family & friends. 

Trusted Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

@naturalfan wrote:

so then my original post of hearsay stands since he is not videotaped saying he is sick of the abuse. 

It that is now you see it, nothing more to be said. 

Trusted Contributor

@naturalfan wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

@naturalfan wrote:

It that is how you see it, nothing more to be said. 

Trusted Contributor

@naturalfan wrote:

@naturalfan wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

@naturalfan wrote:

It that is how you see it, nothing more to be said

except condolences to the family of this officer. There should be no arguments about that.