Trusted Contributor

Police Office targeted and murdered in Ohio

[ Edited ]

Suspect in custody, said he wanted to kills a police officer.

And SOME people think LE officers are always to blame when a suspect gets killed. This is just another example of what they face day to day.

Danville Ohio officer killed

edited to be completely and totally correct about my statement

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Police Office targeted and murdered in Ohio

@60sgirl wrote:

And people think LE officers are always to blame when a suspect gets killed. This is just another example of what they face day to day.

Unfortunately that is not how many people see it.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

In EVERY field there are the ugly; police are no exception..nor are doctors...nor are teachers...etc. But, the MAJORITY are good people doing their very best. We have allowed many to portray the police as ALL being horrible humans and so...what this murderer did is to be expected and I'm sure applauded by too many.

Esteemed Contributor

I hate seeing stories like this. Too many now take law enforcement officers for granted and don't seem to fully understand their ever present risks.

Heartfelt condolences to the family of this officer and his "Brother and Sister Officers".

hckynut(john

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Just yesterday there was a shoot out here, with one officer being killed and another wounded.  Perp was a drug dealer with an illegal weapon and was killed by other officers when he fired upon them as well.  Later when the perp's mother and brother showed up to the scene, the brother attacked one police officer and sucker punched him in the face, then head butted another officer.  Both were arrested.  Some strange kind of family values going on there.

The officer killed was a respected member of the force and had just returned to work after winning his battle with cancer (twice).  Heartbreaking situation.

Super Contributor

I know a policeman. I read these stories and wonder, HOW  many people will apply in the future to be a cop?

The wives and husbands and children of cops today.

The worry...fear they live, GROWING day by day.

Many years ago my sisters daughter was murdered.

I read the news, watch the news, listen to the news.

Somebodys ..somebody does NOT come home :-(

Its not news....its somebody :-(

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@60sgirl wrote:

And people think LE officers are always to blame when a suspect gets killed. This is just another example of what they face day to day.

SOME people think LE is always to blame. Others just expect LE to behave differently than common street criminals. Most people celebrate the majority of police officers who do their job and stay within the law without profiling, excess violence, aggression, etc. That's all most people want: fairness and accountability. LE is a dangerous profession. We all recognize that, and it takes very special people who have common sense, restraint, people skills, and a sense of justice for all to be good at it. Burn out is common, which is understandable. We salute those at the top of their profession, we mourn those good officers who give their lives trying to uphold the law and keep us safe, and we want those who aren't exemplary drummed out of it. Is that too much to expect in any profession dealing with the public? 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

In EVERY field there are the ugly; police are no exception..nor are doctors...nor are teachers...etc. But, the MAJORITY are good people doing their very best. We have allowed many to portray the police as ALL being horrible humans and so...what this murderer did is to be expected and I'm sure applauded by too many.

This is very true.  and the issue about police being portrayed in a not-so-good light, I fault those few bad apples that have had the trust of the community put in them and they have essentially committed crimes while wearing badges.  If I were a polic officer, THAT is who I would be mad at.  However, I HIGHLY doubt that "what this murder did will be applauded by many".  That is an awful thing to say and when thigns like that are said, it contributes to the problem...

I live in Chicago, so there is a huge problem here right now with all of this....  I do hope trust is restored on both sides soon.

Respected Contributor

I wish more good cops would stand up against the blue wall of silence when they see their fellow officers abuse citizens and falsify reports.

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I wish more good cops would stand up against the blue wall of silence when they see their fellow officers abuse citizens and falsify reports.

I agree. They fear retaliation and being told that if they request backup, none will show up for them if they tell. But threats like that just drive home the fact that the person making the threat needs to go.