Trusted Contributor

Re: Pokemon Go-what is wrong with these people?

@HULAGIRL wrote:

Just another way for people to interact with an electronic device instead of building actual human interpersonal relationships.............if they have all this time on their hands they should be out volunteering with summer lunch programs/homeless shelters/animal shelters/senior centers/helping with summer reading programs........I could go on forever.  With so many programs losing funding they desperately need help and what a wonderful way to spend a few hours...........much more rewarding than staring at your phone.......JMO!!

Or, for many people, staring at your computer monitor for hours while posting on message boards. Surely we can ALL spare an hour or two picking up trash or scooping dog poop or volunteering somehow....JMO!

Respected Contributor

I saw grown ups fastly walking down my street last night while I was gardening. Then, I realized, they were my neighbors that I hadn't seen in months LOL

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Wish they would create a game where you go around picking up dog poop and trash. Make it real trendy and the latest thing. Think how we could clean up the environment!

How about the lazy inconsiderate dog owners pick up their own? Wow that would be amazing.

Honored Contributor

sure would be, not gonna happen. Not trendy enough or popular

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@KathyPet

I believe I overheard on one of the news shows that one of the locations (in a park) had a loaded gun for the players to find. Maybe I misunderstood. I was busy trying to understand who plants what for this game.

Too bad... finding out about national treasures (with respect) would have been such a good idea.

NO, the game does not leave things to find.  A couple of kids found a gun and reported it to police while they were playing the game.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I heard that there are already a couple or so of unfortunate incidents which have occurred.  I do not believe this is a very safe game.  Kids will, of course, will want to play this and I do not believe that it is a good thing.  And as for adults, I agree --- too much time on their hands.  And shouldn't be happening in some of the places that it is. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re:  Too much time on people's hands...

There should always be time for fun.

Granted, one person's fun is probably not the same as the next person's fun, but I never understand the anger from many the minute they hear others are having fun.

Sure, there are usually kinks to be worked out, like where the critters should not be placed, but there are people who just dislike the idea that anyone else is having a good time.

Fun is healthy, doesn't everyone know that?  And danger is everywhere, including merely going out for a walk.

Respected Contributor

Apparently there is a "gym" in the middle of our local cemetery. 

I don't care what people play, don't be disrespectful.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was out today during my lunch hour. Found a gym at the entrance to our park and pool area. Found two PokeStops, but they were too far away to access. And I found six Nearby Pokemon; I managed to collect one, but the others were too far away. I only get one hour for lunch.

I did see two young guys looking at their phones in the park. As I looked at them, they looked over at me and I started to laugh. They came over to me and we chatted for a while. They know where everything is at, so they talked to me.

I'm such a novice. The Trainer of the game showed up on my phone and told me that I "was not an experienced Pokemon hunter". Well, I know that! And one of the kids told me the same thing. I looked at him and said, "Yes, I am aware of that!" and the kids laughed. It was all in fun, they weren't being nasty. They answered some questions for me, I thanked them, and we all went on our merry way.

And I came back into work with a Pokemon to add to my collection. 

ETA: I've been an avid walker now for going on 15 years. Two years ago, while walking out the street in front of my house, I got hit by an elderly driver. I was in my own walking lane and he wasn't paying attention. His mirror got me on my arm and I ended up with a hematoma....despite me paying attention and trying to make a mad dash for the field when he swerved. It was the driver's fault and when the police got there, they did charge the driver.

Two weeks after that, I was walking my route at work. An elderly woman was backing out of her driveway while she was talking to her passenger. She never even looked. There I was. Thankfully I was paying attention and I stopped. As she backed out, she saw me out of her window. And had the guts to roll her window down and give me a lecture on scaring her because she was old. But she had never even bothered to check. Thank god, I was paying attention. 

You can be the most careful walker around, but if the drivers aren't paying attention, you're going to get hit anyway. And that's true whether you're simply walking for exercise or playing a video game. Sure, the chances are greater if you're not paying attention. We should, all of us, watch what we're doing. Because if it comes down to you or the vehicle that hits you? The vehicle will always win. Always. 

Honored Contributor

Can someone explain to those of us who are clueless what this IS? 

If I have extra time on my hands, I'm not going to use it playing a game on my cellphone. It's summer - for me that means reading and dreaming! Smiley Wink