Honored Contributor

Has anyone used a pocket translator while on vacation? Do they work? 

Super Contributor

Google Translate works well for translating written things like signs and menus. Honestly I've been all over the world and have rarely come across anyone who doesn't speak at least some English, so not sure how necessary a translator is.

Esteemed Contributor

No, just faked it all over the world.

Just watch what may be a bathroom door to see who goes in and out, everyone point to something different on the menu and then pass the plates around, and what ever you don't do the subway in Moscow since the signs are in script.  And always walk since you can't get far.  For taxis, get a card from the desk.

It works.

Honored Contributor

Google translate works with people as well.  I was having work done on my house last year and the workers were using it to talk to each other.  One time one of them used it with me when I needed to ask him a question.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Thank you @peace6576 @Still Raining , I was thinking on translating those near who seem suspicious. The translation of that is eavesdropping. Mrs, Kravits goes abroad. 

Super Contributor

Ah, I see. My husband tried that at a restaurant and it didn't work well. Conversation is generally too fast for it to pick up.

Sounds strange but I actually enjoy when I travel and can't understand all the noise around me. I can just relax on the train or bus and tune everything out. Sometimes all that noise and conversation around me can be too overstimulating. When it's all in Dutch, or Indonesian it's like white noise, lol.

Honored Contributor

@peace6576  To bad, but I'm pleased to know there's another spy want-a-be out there. 

Respected Contributor

DH uses one with our ranch workers.....he made a special little t-shirt for one of our Silkys with "Jefe De Jefes" on it and they laughed and joked about it all day. Works great for us!

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain  ..  I speak Italian. But I have used google translate at times to assist in writing cards/messages.  Some translations are really off.

Esteemed Contributor

Only time I encountered it was in a shop in Shanghai when shop girl was trying to explain something to me.  It didn't work particularly well.