Honored Contributor

I'll follow any guidelines that health officials suggest, and at this point, I don't have any standing appointments. Will grocery shop weekly but that's about it. If I had school age children, I'd eliminate any extra curricular activities like basketball games or school trips into the city just as a precaution.

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom 

There are approximately 333,000,000 people in the US. There are as of today a little more than 1000 cases of Coronavirus reported. That amounts to .0003% of the population. 98% of the patients recover. I'm with KatCat1. The reaction is way off the charts. 

Esteemed Contributor

Be prepared to be scolded into submission by daring to defy the authority on all things flu and/or flu-like!

Honored Contributor

Some here think that those who are taking things seriously are just sitting home wringing their hands in a the sky is falling panic.  I see it as just plain common sense.  We probably  do not know where everyone we come in contact with  has been.  Right now no one in my part of the state has been shown to be infected or in immediate danger so I feel I can probably be safe until it spreads here.  I am going about my normal life and things such as doctor or  visits for  tests, elective surgeries , etc are causing no concern but I will avoid larger crowds for now.  It only takes one infected person to rapidly cause it to sweep through an area and take hold.

Trusted Contributor

@tansy 

It's too bad you take it that way. I am 72 years old so I myself am in the higher risk group automatically even though I'm in reasonably good health. The plain facts are that older people and people who have underlying health problems tend to have more serious cases of any contagious virus and a higher death rate than young healthy individuals. That's not callousness; that's just Nature's way.

Honored Contributor

Re: Please stay home

[ Edited ]

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@sidsmom 

There are approximately 333,000,000 people in the US. There are as of today a little more than 1000 cases of Coronavirus reported. That amounts to .0003% of the population. 98% of the patients recover. I'm with KatCat1. The reaction is way off the charts. 

@Buffalogal47 

Well y'all are slowing becoming a small minority.

Everyone in the world realizes this is important.

It's was never 'just' a United States issue....never was.

#fact

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom 

I've never been one to follow the herd. So the rest of you are welcome to drive yourselves crazy worrying about the possiblity that the sky is falling. I'll pass, thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Please stay home

[ Edited ]

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@sidsmom 

I've never been one to follow the herd. So the rest of you are welcome to drive yourselves crazy worrying about the possiblity that the sky is falling. I'll pass, thank you.

@Buffalogal47 

Some people see the COVID-19 as two extreme camps:

• 'the sky is falling'

or

• 'it's just like the flu' & 'the virus isn't nearly as bad as they first thought' 

BOTH are not good. 
(ps...still waiting who the doctors were who said it's not as bad...your words
.)

Esteemed Contributor

Not everyone can afford to stay home when they're sick. They may not get paid sick time, and need to pay their bills. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't read all of the replies but I have been trying to get ready in case things get really bad here. 

I have been stocking up on paper goods, cleaning supplies & non perishable foods.  I'm also so much more aware about not touching my face while out now than ever before!

I have a regular standing nail appointment and I will see my manicurist today...however I plan on letting her know that there is a good chance this will be my last visit until things get better.

I also joined a gym (located in a hospital campus with lots of seniors) that I've been going to for a month.  I plan on going today but go at an off time...3pm when there are less than 10 people there...and have been super careful with antiseptic wipes and not touching my face...keeping my distance from people too.  However it might be my last week.  I can always walk outdoors.

Since DH and I are retired we are lucky that we can shelter and stay at home but I still worry since he has an autoimmune illness and I worry about my thirtysomething kids who live in the city!

As for travel, I told my mother that I will not be flying the end of the month to see her and will try another time.  My trip to Spain in June is looking less likely too.