Honored Contributor
Best not to paint all seniors with the same brush...none I know just sit and rock.
Honored Contributor

Re: Please stay home

[ Edited ]

@SydneyH wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Buffalogal47 

Who these supposedly 'doctors' that are saying this?

I'd like to know too seeing as my state in under an emergency order now.

That's three of us who would like to know who these doctors are.  @Buffalogal47 

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

We had a meeting at church scheduled for tonight. DH has had a cough and congestion today...no fever, I think it is allergies starting to flare up...but we stayed home and chose to skip the meeting. No we are not “ hiding” at home....just being smart and also considerate of others. DH is in his 70’s and I am not taking any chances with his health. Too bad so many are quick to try and shame others when they take measures to protect themselves and others from getting sick. I am not ashamed.

@lovesrecess 

I think it should be a normal plan for people to stay home when they are sick or weakened. That does not always happen as we witness sick people comng to work. Sometimes situations make it very difficult for people to miss work.

I think it is sad that there are people on BOTH sides that are shaming others.

I do worry about posters that are so consumed with fears of the corona virus that it messes with their life in the form of stress. Stress is bad for people and they need to manage it.

For me it would be more stressful to keep going on and on about it and my health can not deal with that now. That does not mean I am shaming people. 

I do not think this is going to be over quickly and it will be a stressful time for everyone. 

I hope that things calm down for you.

doxie

Honored Contributor

People are panicking over this virus -- stop!  More people die from the Flu than this Coronavirus.  The news media is to blame and people are running out to buy antibacterial wipes.  It is so overdone.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I am not particularly worried about a general corona virus. I AM worried about THIS COVID19 virus for many reasons, none of which arise from any media, right or left. Using my own 40 plus years of health knowledge and my several months (since before this virus became mainstream news) of research about this particular strain of virus, I see some things to be worried about.

1) If you have heart disease and/or high blood pressure, diagnosed or not

2) If you are diabetic

3) If you have lung damage however slight or severe whether from smoking, inhalation of cleaning chemical fumes or other chemical or environmental exposures, diagnosed or not

4) If you are immune compromised in any way, whether congenital or acquired, diagnosed or not

5) If you have kidney disease, diagnosed or not

6) If you are in the more vulnerable age group for death from the virus

Remeber the damage done to the lungs of so many by the vaping pen issues that were in the news recently? If the virus descends into the lower respiratory system and begins to spiral out of control, the damage caused to the lungs of corona virus patients looks very similar to vaping patients. Doctors will tell you that if the virus does this in a patient, it is very difficult to come back from that depending on how severe the damage becomes. If you are older, or compromised in some way as I listed above (or many others that I did not list), then your cells will lack the health and ability to regenerate and repair once the lung tissue becomes damaged.

Of course, please do your own reading on this subject. You do not need to take my word for any of this, obviously. The information is available in any true medical source if you choose to learn about it. Most importantly, please thoroughly educate yourselves on Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and its relationship to the corona virus. This particular strain of corona virus is not the general flu. In fact, the Spanish flu may not have even been just a general flu strain, as virulent as it was and based on the symptoms. So to compare the potential destruction of COVID19 to a regular seasonal flu is a little like putting your head in the sand and hoping a nuclear bomb dropped one mile away won't do you any harm.

I also do not think panicing ever did anyone any good for any situation. Forewarned is forearmed, and knowledge is power. But, it doesn't hurt to be prepared and to try and protect yourself and others either. No one should be shamed for that, nor for being scared and worried.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

People are panicking over this virus -- stop!  More people die from the Flu than this Coronavirus.  The news media is to blame and people are running out to buy antibacterial wipes.  It is so overdone.

@Katcat1 

COVID-19 is -not- like the flu.

Please educate yourself.

Valued Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

Because some of us, actually a lot come to think of it, have to work or go to school?  What kind of question is this?

Everyone has to balance and prioritize what is important to them.  To me, life is more important than a job or school

@Reever  Are YOU going to pay my bills? Put food for my family and I on the table? If not, then don't tell that I need to Prioritize. That is a joke. Of course my family is MORE important than ANYTHING to me, which is WHY I HAVE TO WORK!!!!!! No choice! Not trying to be snarky, but some honestly need to be realistic. Geez.  Not everyone has the luxury of a savings acct and houses that are paid for and unlimited income. Must be nice.

~ Hope in TN ~
Valued Contributor

@BrandiDavis  I wanted you to know I did see your response to me on another thread and didn't get a chance to respond. 

I also want you to know that I completely understand where you are coming from. I've worn your shoes, for about five years, back 15 to 20 years ago. Your concerns are valid. 

I want you to know I care and I do understand. 

if it's not too personal what state do you live in? I've heard some states are looking at ways to combat lack of income during this, but would need to do more research to find out how and which ones.....just curious if you had heard anything like that too....

on my way to work myself right now....hope your day goes well and hang in there Heart

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Valued Contributor

@SunSprite wrote:

@BrandiDavis  I wanted you to know I did see your response to me on another thread and didn't get a chance to respond. 

I also want you to know that I completely understand where you are coming from. I've worn your shoes, for about five years, back 15 to 20 years ago. Your concerns are valid. 

I want you to know I care and I do understand. 

if it's not too personal what state do you live in? I've heard some states are looking at ways to combat lack of income during this, but would need to do more research to find out how and which ones.....just curious if you had heard anything like that too....

on my way to work myself right now....hope your day goes well and hang in there Heart

@SunSprite  Oh, no worries at all hun!! I appreciate you even thinking of me!! How nice of you! I am in Knoxville, TN. I did hear briefly about a stimulus package (not from TN, but I guess the federal gov...it was on CNN) that the president was proposing for people that don't have sick time/hourly employees? (of which I meet both)

I am an operator for an answering service. We answer for about 80% medical (mostly dr's offices and then hospitals calling those dr's) and 20% commercial. So, unfortunately I HAVE to work. We are a 24/7 business. I'm just not sure how all of this will pan out, but I'm super worried. If my boss doesn't get paid, then we don't either ya know? It's a small company. I've been here 6+ years, we only have 9 employees, so it's a small business.

As, I have stated before I'm really just trying very hard to stay as positive as possible about this situation. I plan on continuing with handwashing as I've always done, avoiding touching my face, etc....that is all I CAN do. The rest is out of my hands, but I have faith that things will improve. I know they will. I hope you have a fabulous day too hun and stay safe!! :-)

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Coronavirus is hardly a killer virus. The mortality rate is much lower than the ordinary flu. It does seem to be more contagious though but everyone who has had it and recovered says it was not that bad. The people who have died from this illness were either frail elderly or had other underlying chronic health issues. Everyone is drastically overreacting. 

No everyone is but there are always those that spread doom and gloom and panic.  Live and let live.  This is no worse than the ordinary flu we experience very year.  Dealing with the ones spreading panic is more bothersome.

This is way faster spreading than the flu with no way to contain it or treat it right now so it's not doom and gloom but reality for now!!  Everyone should be listening to the qualified experts and not those just saying the numbers are low here but that is only because testing is only becoming more available here.  I was just at a luncheon with retirees where many were saying the numbers should be portrayed as lower because they were counting those from cruises and those that were expposed overseas and it was unfair they be counted against us like it's a game!!