Honored Contributor

Re: Please stay home

[ Edited ]

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Caligurll : You are reading something into my comment that is entirely false. I in no way either stated or implied that it's ok for elderly people or those with underlying chronic illness to die from this virus. 

Of course, if we have at-risk relatives or friends we should be careful about exposing them to this or ANY contagious disease because they are at a higher risk. Do you stay in the house and grind your life to a halt during a normal flu season? Probably not, yet the mortality rate from the normal flu is much, much higher than from this virus. Even doctors are saying this virus isn't nearly as bad as they first thought. 

And yes, egged on by the media, many people are overreacting.

You do come across as being callous, @Buffalogal47, and misinformed.

Respected Contributor

@fresh kitty 

In answer to your question, I think there are some people that have to work to pay bills and such.

I hope you can find a way to manage your stress.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Caligurll : You are reading something into my comment that is entirely false. I in no way either stated or implied that it's ok for elderly people or those with underlying chronic illness to die from this virus. 

Of course, if we have at-risk relatives or friends we should be careful about exposing them to this or ANY contagious disease because they are at a higher risk. Do you stay in the house and grind your life to a halt during a normal flu season? Probably not, yet the mortality rate from the normal flu is much, much higher than from this virus. Even doctors are saying this virus isn't nearly as bad as they first thought. 

And yes, egged on by the media, many people are overreacting.

@Buffalogal47  No, my life doesn't come to a grinding halt during a normal flu season and I don't stay in the house.  Unless of course I were sick, but as far as I know, I have never had the flu. 

I was reacting to you saying this:

"Coronavirus is hardly a killer virus. The mortality rate is much lower than the ordinary flu. It does seem to be more contagious though but everyone who has had it and recovered says it was not that bad. The people who have died from this illness were either frail elderly or had other underlying chronic health issues. Everyone is drastically overreacting." 

I read this as you saying, yes it is more contagious, but hey, don't overreact, because it's just elderly and people with health issues dying. 

And at this point do we even know what an overreaction is since we don't know how many people in the US are infected?  

I'm happy that wasn't your meaning, but that is exactly how I interpreted it.

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

Because some of us, actually a lot come to think of it, have to work or go to school?  What kind of question is this?

Everyone has to balance and prioritize what is important to them.  To me, life is more important than a job or school

@Reever 

I hope it is the stress that is making you respond this way. Some people do have to work to keep a roof over their head. That is a basic need.

I agree that people need to prioritize what their plan of action is but I realize some people are not in a financial position to just stay home for two weeks.

doxie

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Everyone has to balance and prioritize what is important to them.  To me, life is more important than a job or school

That's all fine but for a lot of us, lack of income can ruin a life pretty quickly.  We aren't talking about a vacation here.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Even doctors are saying this virus isn't nearly as bad as they first thought. 

@Buffalogal47 

Who these supposed 'doctors' saying this?

Esteemed Contributor

I think people are very nervous because we don't understand how fast or slow this virus will spread. I am retired and have never been much of a social person but if I need to go do errands, I will go. I thank God that I live in America and have great doctors and facilities.  We should support one another and help where we can.

People experience different levels of anxiety and I have empathy for them. Hopefully, this virus will run its course sooner than later. I wish everyone good health for now and in the future. 

When someone expresses their views or opinions, we need to be kind. All of us have our priorities in life. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Buffalogal47 

Who these supposedly 'doctors' that are saying this?

I'd like to know too seeing as my state in under an emergency order now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had a meeting at church scheduled for tonight. DH has had a cough and congestion today...no fever, I think it is allergies starting to flare up...but we stayed home and chose to skip the meeting. No we are not “ hiding” at home....just being smart and also considerate of others. DH is in his 70’s and I am not taking any chances with his health. Too bad so many are quick to try and shame others when they take measures to protect themselves and others from getting sick. I am not ashamed.

Respected Contributor

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/yes-coronavirus-is-worse-than-the-flu/ 

The length of time it lasts on the surface depends on factors such as temperature and the type of surface, for example at around 37C (98F), it can survive for two to three days on glass, fabric, metal, plastic or paper.

This research is fascinating and ominous. On January 22, an infected passenger boarded a fully booked long-distance coach and settled down on the second row from the back. He stayed on the bus for four hours and the windows remained closed. Reviewing security camera footage, the researchers found the passenger did not interact with anyone else. The person next to him was not infected, but he did infect two people behind him, one person three rows ahead of him, four people who were six to seven rows ahead of him, and one person who got on the bus after the initial passenger disembarked.

the current coronavirus figure is roughly 35 in a thousand. Even if that’s elevated because we’re not testing enough, if the figure is cut in half, you’re at 17 in a thousand — or nearly one out of every fifty.

For what it’s worth, the death rate in Italy is currently at 5 percent — one in 20!

the date of this article is 3.10.2020