Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

30 deaths in America do not warrant all this panicking. My family are all still flying, shopping, going to school and doctors appointments.

Thats a risk I choose not to take. I am self quarrantining myself in my home until the threat passes. Have enough fuel and food to last several months.  To each their own.

Honored Contributor

Re: Please stay home

[ Edited ]

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I present Flippant & N'Tizzy

The Yin & Yang of Public Health.

Esteemed Contributor
That 30 can turn into a lot if people don’t observe simple precautions. You don’t know the full picture. In NYC, from
One cluster in Westchester 2019 people are in quarantine. The only reason it’s not worse is because people do take this unpredictable new virus seriously at the national level down to the local health departments.
Honored Contributor

Schools are closed here for two weeks. So not all can go about their normal everyday lives. 

Honored Contributor

@Stray 

I am one block from the frozen zone"

@Stray wrote:
That 30 can turn into a lot if people don’t observe simple precautions. You don’t know the full picture. In NYC, from
One cluster in Westchester 2019 people are in quarantine. The only reason it’s not worse is because people do take this unpredictable new virus seriously at the national level down to the local health departments.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please excuse the blank response. I evidently was having some issues with my phone!

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Coronavirus is hardly a killer virus. The mortality rate is much lower than the ordinary flu. It does seem to be more contagious though but everyone who has had it and recovered says it was not that bad. The people who have died from this illness were either frail elderly or had other underlying chronic health issues. Everyone is drastically overreacting. 

@Buffalogal47   I'm reading this as you saying it's ok because it's elderly and chronically ill people who are dying and it shouldn't concern anyone else who is younger and/or healthier.

I would hope that if there is a vulnerable population (age/health issues) that others would do whatever necessary to keep them safe.

I'd rather overreact than be responsible for someone else getting ill, or worse.

Trusted Contributor

@Caligurll : You are reading something into my comment that is entirely false. I in no way either stated or implied that it's ok for elderly people or those with underlying chronic illness to die from this virus. 

Of course, if we have at-risk relatives or friends we should be careful about exposing them to this or ANY contagious disease because they are at a higher risk. Do you stay in the house and grind your life to a halt during a normal flu season? Probably not, yet the mortality rate from the normal flu is much, much higher than from this virus. Even doctors are saying this virus isn't nearly as bad as they first thought. 

And yes, egged on by the media, many people are overreacting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Because some of us, actually a lot come to think of it, have to work or go to school?  What kind of question is this?

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

Because some of us, actually a lot come to think of it, have to work or go to school?  What kind of question is this?

Everyone has to balance and prioritize what is important to them.  To me, life is more important than a job or school