Esteemed Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

Because some of us, actually a lot come to think of it, have to work or go to school?  What kind of question is this?

Everyone has to balance and prioritize what is important to them.  To me, life is more important than a job or school

@Reever 

I hope it is the stress that is making you respond this way. Some people do have to work to keep a roof over their head. That is a basic need.

I agree that people need to prioritize what their plan of action is but I realize some people are not in a financial position to just stay home for two weeks.

doxie

Exactly.  Choosing life over a job sounds great, but without the ability to pay for food, shelter, heat, etc., lives could be put in jeopardy.  No one knows how long this threat will go on.

A lot of people have to work - There's no choice.  And some might prefer to work, just for the mental health benefits of doing something they love.  Or of having something else to think about.

We all have to make our own decisions.  As with all things, I think it best to educate ourselves and act in moderation.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@4labs wrote:

Corona is indeed a killer virus especially among elderly and immune-compromised people. And according to Dr Anthony Fauci the mortality rate is 10 times that of the flu.

Im frightened @4labs.

@Reever @4labs 

Dr. Fauci was talking GLOBALLY it's 10x.

"The federal government’s top infectious disease expert told lawmakers Wednesday that the novel coronavirus spreading across the globe is 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu."

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Even doctors are saying this virus isn't nearly as bad as they first thought. 

@Buffalogal47 

Who these supposed 'doctors' saying this?

I haven't heard that anywhere. 

The NIAID Director said today that things will get worse, and it's 10 times more lethal than seasonal flu.  People need to be aware and use sensible precautions.  I'm not panicking - I don't think there's a need.  But I'm not onboard with downplaying what this can become if people don't take it seriously.

Respected Contributor

Re: Please stay home

[ Edited ]

Fauci said COVID-19 is at least 10 times “more lethal” than the seasonal flu, even if the mortality rate drops far below the World Health Organization’s current estimate of 3.4%.

CNBC

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

The only way mortality rates can be determined is by knowing exactly how many were sick and how many pass away from the respective viruses.  No agency has  that information.  Everything is a statistical guess based on the information currently available.  Information is changing daily.

The number of people who never seek medical attention, never show symptoms  or are not tested can greatly skew these rates.

@CrazyDaisy, We don't use mortality rates when talking about epidemics or pandemics. 

There are all kinds of percentages that we do use when evaluating threats of communicable disease that factor in risk, etc.   Same mathematical equation they use for the flu.  No one has ever had an exact count of every single individual that has contracted a certain strain of flu in a defined area either.

Morbidity rates are numbers of people that have at disease, but we don't use morbidity rates when dealing with epidemics pertaining to communicable disease either. 

@pitdakota, interesting. I keep seeing mortality rates being mentioned by experts in the field.

@suzyQ3, yeah it's kind of like the doctor that tells a patient they have stomach flu.  That doc knows there is no such thing as stomach flu but the term is so well known, they just go with the flow and take the easiest route.

Most will refer to fatality rate which is a different type of case fatality rate and different than mortality rate.  If you stop to think about it, we can't report a  rate at all.  In epidemiology a rate is a number, not a percentage.  

So for example, age adjusted mortality rate for cardiovascular disease for this state might be 282.6 deaths per 100,000 people.  That is a mortality rate.

When we talk about communicable disease we generally talk in percentages.  For example the percentage of deaths due to pneumonia in COVID-19 is around____________________.  And that approximately x% of patients diagnosed with COVID-19 have died.  

But then when talking with the lay public a lot of them will just call it the fatality rate because that is easiest.  

But we also study the major causes of death in this emerging disease as well.  And those deaths will be broken down into percentages of overall deaths due to COVID-19.

So now that is clear as mud!  LOL   LOL!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom 

Dr. Fauci was talking GLOBALLY it's 10x.

"The federal government’s top infectious disease expert told lawmakers Wednesday that the novel coronavirus spreading across the globe is 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu."

Honored Contributor
I’ve stayed out of most of these discussions. My big concern is that without slowing the transmission rate we certainly could end up like Italy with our healthcare system totally overwhelmed. Not enough beds. Not enough ICU beds. Not enough ventilators. I don’t hear anyone addressing this issue of a lack of capacity.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe 

All travel from Europe, except for UK, will be suspended for 30 days.

Honored Contributor
I know. Not enough.
Honored Contributor
Tom Hanks and his wife are positive and in Australia. On the news.