Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please stay home

[ Edited ]

The only way mortality rates can be determined is by knowing exactly how many were sick and how many pass away from the respective viruses.  No agency has  that information.  Everything is a statistical guess based on the information currently available.  Information is changing daily.

The number of people who never seek medical attention, never show symptoms  or are not tested can greatly skew these rates.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"The 2009 pandemic of H1N1 was even less lethal than the regular seasonal flu,” Dr Fauci said.

I'm posting this in response to posters who keep bringing up H1N1.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@suzyQ3  Number of flu-related deaths in the 2019/20 flu season as of 1/22/20: 6600 or approximately 6.9%.

Number of coronavirus deaths: 29 as of today or mortality rate of around 2%.

The threshold mortality rate for an epidemic is 7.3%. 

This applies to the USA only.

Source: CDC. Look it up. The ordinary flu is much more deadly than the coronavirus. They also have worldwide stats if you're interested.

@Buffalogal47, I strongly urge you to read @pitdakota's post. She happens to be an expert in health. She never fails to to corrent and helpful information. If you don't understan how the percentage of deaths are calculated, ask her to explain it. All I can say is that the novel virus is more deadly than the flu.

But that DOES NOT mean that we're all going to die. Please don't mistake the stats for panic. The truly vulnerable remain the elderly and those with compromised immunity or diseases that would affect their recovery.

Thanks @suzyQ3, but @Buffalogal47 should spend her time watching Dr. Fauci's testimony.  He explains it beautifully.   

Anyone can look up about his testimony and the testimony of Dr. Redfield from I believe yesterday.  Dr. Redfield is the director of the CDC.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I very much resent a poster who presumes to decide what's best for others, aka J Edger.

Like SARS, this virus may return more virulent in the fall and since a vaccine isn't expected to be available for a year at best, I'm thinking that getting it now and gaining immunity may be a good thing.  That doesn't mean I'm not being cautious.

On the positive side, pollution is being reduced worldwide. The cloud of noxious gas over Wuhan has disappeared.

Respected Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I can't fathom why anyone would come onto these threads and advocate that they all be shut down by TPTB.

Why? If they offend you, don't read them. But it's not your call to dictate to other what they can dicuss. If someone breaches the Standards. then it's up to mods to either delete a post or leave it.

I, for one. like the vast majority of information and help and, yes, the comaraderie I find here.

@suzyQ3  I have to say the only thing I don't like about all of these coronavirus threads is that there is one particular poster who seems to thrive on posting nothing but the most fear inducing threads possible. To me that is not helpful.

State the facts yes, but fear mongering isn't cool imo. I hope I used that term right LOL Anyways, I think you kwim....I actually do like to read the factual information and see that there are others on here who do actually genuinally care about you. That is comforting during something like this to know that you're not alone and others are there too. 

As I said, the only thing I don't care for is that particular poster. There always has to be that one person in everything that ruins it for others. 

Hi @BrandiDavis!   I will always encourage you to gloss over any poster that is always alarming or those that are just the opposite; always dismissive.

Rarely is the truth at either end of the spectrum.  So just walk right on past those that say the sky is falling and walk right on past those that are telling people to dismiss this because the flu is more deadly.  

It seems like with your anxiety, you have been doing a good job thus far managing!  Kudos to you!  Things may start to really get bumpy here in the next couple of weeks, but remember that is what they expect if that happens.   Just keep doing what you have been doing!

Honored Contributor

I went to Mass at noon .  Usual number of parishioners for a Wednesday Mass and Novena.  Met with some people after Mass and then stopped at the supermarket on the way home.  Shelves well stocked.  Store had the usual number of shoppers for an early weekday afternoon.  Brief conversation with checker I've known for years .... she feels the same way I do = media hype.

The general consensus around here (NYC / East Side residential area) - no one seems to care very much.  We are going about our lives as usual.

Respected Contributor

I'm a public school employee in Maryland, they are not shutting down unless there's a spike in absentee rates or there's a confirmed case and they've been in the schools. So I must come to work if I'm not sick, it's as simple as that. They have told us if we are feeling unwell to stay home. If we have fever, cough, sore throat, typical cold or flu symptoms, etc. we don't come in and we can't come back unless we've been fever free for 24 hours without medication. They have also canceled all work travel that's out of state. So yes, stay home if you can, but for many people it's simply not an option at this point. I practice good handwashing and try to keep things clean as much as possible. Life must go on, it just has to go on more cautiously. 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

The only way mortality rates can be determined is by knowing exactly how many were sick and how many pass away from the respective viruses.  No agency has  that information.  Everything is a statistical guess based on the information currently available.  Information is changing daily.

The number of people who never seek medical attention, never show symptoms  or are not tested can greatly skew these rates.

@CrazyDaisy, We don't use mortality rates when talking about epidemics or pandemics. 

There are all kinds of percentages that we do use when evaluating threats of communicable disease that factor in risk, etc.   Same mathematical equation they use for the flu.  No one has ever had an exact count of every single individual that has contracted a certain strain of flu in a defined area either.

Morbidity rates are numbers of people that have at disease, but we don't use morbidity rates when dealing with epidemics pertaining to communicable disease either. 

Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy, We don't use mortality rates when talking about epidemics or pandemics. 

There are all kinds of percentages that we do use when evaluating threats of communicable disease that factor in risk, etc.   Same mathematical equation they use for the flu.  No one has ever had an exact count of every single individual that has contracted a certain strain of flu in a defined area either.

Morbidity rates are numbers of people that have at disease, but we don't use morbidity rates when dealing with epidemics pertaining to communicable disease either. 

ALL are a statistical guess based on assumptions and limited data.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

if everyone could stay home it would certainly help with the spread but of course that is not possible

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller