Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  That is a good thing to close the schools in fear of an academic.  If anything, this virus has people thinking about germs and where they come from.  We have to sign using the same pen in the drugstore or at the grocery store.  Using a pen that everyone else is using at the dr.'s office, and so on and so on.  Bring your own pen!!!!!

Gotta laugh at the typo I bolded!

Anywho, I can't help but wonder if all the precautions being taken will also drastically reduce the transmission of ALL contagious illnesses, including the common cold and flu.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, good point.  And there will be millions of cleaner, healthier homes throughout America.

Honored Contributor

I can't fathom why anyone would come onto these threads and advocate that they all be shut down by TPTB.

Why? If they offend you, don't read them. But it's not your call to dictate to other what they can dicuss. If someone breaches the Standards. then it's up to mods to either delete a post or leave it.

I, for one. like the vast majority of information and help and, yes, the comaraderie I find here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Caligurll : You are reading something into my comment that is entirely false. I in no way either stated or implied that it's ok for elderly people or those with underlying chronic illness to die from this virus. 

Of course, if we have at-risk relatives or friends we should be careful about exposing them to this or ANY contagious disease because they are at a higher risk. Do you stay in the house and grind your life to a halt during a normal flu season? Probably not, yet the mortality rate from the normal flu is much, much higher than from this virus. Even doctors are saying this virus isn't nearly as bad as they first thought. 

And yes, egged on by the media, many people are overreacting.

You do come across as being callous, @Buffalogal47, and misinformed.

@tansy, there no one that I've heard who says that the mortality rate for the flu is much higher than fov Covid 19. In fact, just the opposite.

@Buffalogal47 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I can't fathom why anyone would come onto these threads and advocate that they all be shut down by TPTB.

Why? If they offend you, don't read them. But it's not your call to dictate to other what they can dicuss. If someone breaches the Standards. then it's up to mods to either delete a post or leave it.

I, for one. like the vast majority of information and help and, yes, the comaraderie I find here.

@suzyQ3  I have to say the only thing I don't like about all of these coronavirus threads is that there is one particular poster who seems to thrive on posting nothing but the most fear inducing threads possible. To me that is not helpful.

State the facts yes, but fear mongering isn't cool imo. I hope I used that term right LOL Anyways, I think you kwim....I actually do like to read the factual information and see that there are others on here who do actually genuinally care about you. That is comforting during something like this to know that you're not alone and others are there too. 

As I said, the only thing I don't care for is that particular poster. There always has to be that one person in everything that ruins it for others. 

~ Hope in TN ~
Esteemed Contributor

Exactly @BrandiDavis 

Everything is usually fine until that starts up.  Calling others ignorant, for example.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3  Number of flu-related deaths in the 2019/20 flu season as of 1/22/20: 6600 or approximately 6.9%.

Number of coronavirus deaths: 29 as of today or mortality rate of around 2%.

The threshold mortality rate for an epidemic is 7.3%. 

This applies to the USA only.

Source: CDC. Look it up. The ordinary flu is much more deadly than the coronavirus. They also have worldwide stats if you're interested.

Respected Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@suzyQ3  Number of flu-related deaths in the 2019/20 flu season as of 1/22/20: 6600 or approximately 6.9%.

Source: CDC. Look it up. The ordinary flu is much more deadly than the coronavirus. They also have worldwide stats if you're interested.

@Buffalogal47, since you are not an expert, please leave this information to the experts and stop trying to confuse people!

Today, Dr. Faucci just testified to Congress that COVID-19 is 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.

I repeat, he testified that COVID is ten times more lethal than the seasonal flu.

Please stop trying to spread misinformation, both of these diseases are really problematic.  

The only thing right now is that people need to listen to the experts, follow the information, and make their decisions.

You do you, but please stop spreading misinformation.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Buffalogal47, I strongly urge you to read @pitdakota's post. She happens to be an expert in health. She never fails to to corrent and helpful information. If you don't understan how the percentage of deaths are calculated, ask her to explain it. All I can say is that the novel virus is more deadly than the flu.

But that DOES NOT mean that we're all going to die. Please don't mistake the stats for panic. The truly vulnerable remain the elderly and those with compromised immunity or diseases that would affect their recovery.

Honored Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3  I have to say the only thing I don't like about all of these coronavirus threads is that there is one particular poster who seems to thrive on posting nothing but the most fear inducing threads possible. To me that is not helpful.

State the facts yes, but fear mongering isn't cool imo. I hope I used that term right LOL Anyways, I think you kwim....I actually do like to read the factual information and see that there are others on here who do actually genuinally care about you. That is comforting during something like this to know that you're not alone and others are there too. 

As I said, the only thing I don't care for is that particular poster. There always has to be that one person in everything that ruins it for others. 

@BrandiDavis, the best to handle that person is to skip over her posts. I think that many of us have a couple posters like that. :-)