Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

People are panicking over this virus -- stop!  More people die from the Flu than this Coronavirus.  The news media is to blame and people are running out to buy antibacterial wipes.  It is so overdone.

@Katcat1  Our schools are closed for two weeks. That is from the town officials not the media. They have never closed for the flu.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I am prepared to literally stay home 24/7 if the situation warrants it and our state orders us to do so. I am a rules follower.

But since we are not at the point that we need to do that (and hope we don't get to that point) I don't want to just hunker down now. I'd go right out of my mind if I literally couldn't leave our yard for several weeks with no reason for it. 

I'm kind of a social creature. My husband is very quiet and sleeps a great bit. I can't just sit here all day in silence, with no interaction with people.

Again, if there is a huge outbreak, I'm home for the duration, but until then, nope. 

@gidgetgh   I feel the same way!  I'll go crazy if I have to spend weeks either in my house or the yard (it's starting to get warmer out...thank goodness for that!).  

I need to be around people!  ...But at least I don't have to go to work!

Honored Contributor

@BrandiDavis I want you to know that I've been thinking of you too.  I read another post of yours where you mentioned that you need to support you teen daughter & your dad.  I wish you the best.

I realize that most have to work (my adult kids do), but you put another face on someone who just simply can't stay at home when they want to.

My DH who is retired is very concerned because of his chronic illness and I mentioned to him that thank goodness he didn't have to go to work anymore!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Please stay home

[ Edited ]

I confess I have not read all the comments yet, but my first thought is to partially blame the media for crying wolf so many times past.  Y2K, swine flu, SARS, etc., etc.  It's hard to know when the threat is really legitimate or being inflated for ratings.

Trusted Contributor

I'm not going to live my life in fear.  We had schools in our area close for a week in January due to the flu no one made a big deal.

All this has done is just make me more vigilant about cleaning.  The CDC recommendations are no brainers.

I watched on TV people entering a political rally and were given drops of hand sanitizer upon entering.  How long was that really lasting???  Once the people are inside they are still touching everything thus passing germs around.

Valued Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@BrandiDavis I want you to know that I've been thinking of you too.  I read another post of yours where you mentioned that you need to support you teen daughter & your dad.  I wish you the best.

I realize that most have to work (my adult kids do), but you put another face on someone who just simply can't stay at home when they want to.

My DH who is retired is very concerned because of his chronic illness and I mentioned to him that thank goodness he didn't have to go to work anymore!

@haddon9  Aww, how sweet are you! I really appreciate you even taking the time to post a message to me, that was very nice of you! Yes, I do have to work unfortunately, but that is okay....somehow/someway I will make it thru all of this and you and your family will too!! We just have to stick together and do all that we can to stay safe on our end and hopefully this will pass soon enough. 

I'm sorry to hear about your DH's chronic illness....as I said just stay safe and follow all the advice from the CDC (that is what I'm trying to do) and hang in there!! Definitely no traveling unless absolutely necessary, which I'm sure you know. The ONLY place I go is work/home and the grocery store, and my grocery store has a fuel center so I can do it all right there. Quite convenient. I haven't bought anything "extra", as a matter of fact....I usually stop by the grocery store every morning after I get off work (I work 3rd shift) and get dinner for the night. For me, doing a list has never worked...I just have to go day by day. lol Of course I pick up other things like bread, milk, lunch meat, etc...I don't qualify for food stamps or anything, I think I'm like $2k over the limit of $26K the last time I looked into getting any assistance a couple of years back. Total BS imo. That $2k definitely doesn't feed us for a year. Heck, I go through that in 2-3 months almost. 

Anyways, It's crazy how the gov works, but that is another issue in itself lol...so, I just do what I have to do to survive and I'm sure many of us here do the same thing. #strongwomen

Well, I hope you have a great day!! Heart

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Please stay home

[ Edited ]

People will do as they please, compliance is generally quite low.  I am over 60 with health issues, so am staying home.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  I beg your pardon, my point is that more people die from the flu.  I am quite aware that Coronavirus is NOT the flu but check out the symptoms so educate yourself.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  That is a good thing to close the schools in fear of an academic.  If anything, this virus has people thinking about germs and where they come from.  We have to sign using the same pen in the drugstore or at the grocery store.  Using a pen that everyone else is using at the dr.'s office, and so on and so on.  Bring your own pen!!!!!

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@sidsmom 

I've never been one to follow the herd. So the rest of you are welcome to drive yourselves crazy worrying about the possiblity that the sky is falling. I'll pass, thank you.

I don't know why you want to characterize anyone who takes this seriously and uses common sense measures to mitigate the spread of a very contagious virus as chicken little.  Many people make their informed decisions on what scientists and doctors (some directly in the field, battling the illness directly), are saying.  Most people are going about their day, but using precautions to avoid unnecessary exposure. 

Just because someone postpones a cruise doesn't make them hysterical.  The media is all over this story so, of course, people will be impacted by what is reported unless they tune out all media reports.  And some have family in the line of fire, so to speak, so there is reasonable heightened concern.