Super Contributor

I keep on watching all the latest news as to what people should do. Why can't people just stay home anymore. We used to have to stay in our houses with measles and chicken pox. This is a killer virus and people are still traveling and going on vacations. It's just like in the winter when they warn people to stay home don't go out but what do they do they go out and get into accidents and kill innocent people. How would you like to be responsible for killing hundreds of people because you wouldn't stay home. This isn't just old people anymore.  We need to send out a lot of prayers for all the people with this illness because respiratory viruses are very painful and they don't talk about treatment.

Respected Contributor

No...thousands have died from the flu & we carry on. I volunteer  at hospitals  & have no plans on stopping, if others want to hide in the house go ahead but I won't. 

Honored Contributor

I understand the sentiment, @fresh kitty, but it is unrealistic. The vast majority of people cannot shelter in place. Very few actually have that luxury. And I don't think that it is warranted, at least for now.

Worse comes to worse, areas extremely impacted by this virus can call for strict measures. Let's hope that it doesn't get to that point.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

The world can not stop on a dime.

Trusted Contributor

So far, there are no cases real close to us.  If it does start to spread our way, I will try to stay home more, and go out only when I really have to go somewhere.  I'll limit, for example, our going out to eat, unnecessary shopping, large events, etc.

Honored Contributor

@fresh kitty  You sound very scared and I'm sorry.

You know realistically everyone cannot just stay home.

The world goes on and it's very sad when people get sick and it's very sad when people die.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I think people should stay home if they are sick, but can you imagine if all of America stayed home for a week? What about the folks who work in retail, restaurants, beauty shops, and so on and so forth, who depend on customers to stay in business? People would go bankrupt. Would you want to go a week or two without getting your mail? Some of us would be in bad shape if medical personel stayed home. I don't think it can be done.

By all means, if someone wants to stay home do so, but we all cannot. I would go nuts if I had to stay cooped up for a week or two for one thing.

I admit, I have stocked up on stuff, but it is in case we are quarantined or dh an I end up with it. My dh has already been informed by his employer if we get quarantined, he will have to stay at his job. They do have a cafeteria and at least one nurse, so I guess there is that.

Esteemed Contributor

The worst thing we can do is panic & overreact. I will live my life as close to normal as I can.I will restrict my space when I have a reason to & not before.After that it's out of my hands.

Trusted Contributor

Coronavirus is hardly a killer virus. The mortality rate is much lower than the ordinary flu. It does seem to be more contagious though but everyone who has had it and recovered says it was not that bad. The people who have died from this illness were either frail elderly or had other underlying chronic health issues. Everyone is drastically overreacting. 

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

So far, there are no cases real close to us.  If it does start to spread our way, I will try to stay home more, and go out only when I really have to go somewhere.  I'll limit, for example, our going out to eat, unnecessary shopping, large events, etc.

@BunSnoop, not that my husband and I are social butterflies or anything, but we are already rethinking unneccesary outside exposure. We are both in the vulnerable age bracket. Also, although we live in a very small beach town in SoCal. it is still near metropolitan L.A. Plus, even though travel must be done, I'm sure that we still get some tourist traffic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland