Valued Contributor

Please someone tell me the solution:

We are moving to a rural area where there is no cable out there. awwww ******, how do I get internet service, I have no idea what to do. I need to get on my computer everyday to pay bills for one thing. 

My phone is a cheap $149.00 iphone from Walmart and I buy straight talk phone cards once a month. 

Help, please

Respected Contributor

Re: Please someone tell me the solution:

@gulf coast girl An area where we looked at houses used satellite internet. The area where my mother lived had a telephone cooperative. That phone co-op provided internet over a designated second phone line. It was fast and not dial-up. Maybe the term was DSL? I liked it. She got her TV from DISH.

Honored Contributor

@gulf coast girl - are there any neighbors at all where you could ask them how they get their internet service?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Without cable service, your choices are DSL (they use a phone line to connect the internet) or satellite. DSL uses your existing phone wire and connects that to a modem where the internet and phone services are separated into two so that there is no interference between them. DSL speed is slower and not as reliable as cable. Satellite service comes with even more downfalls.

Valued Contributor

I think there might be a house down the road about a half mile away, I could ask but I don't like the idea of knocking on someone's door that doesn't know me or expecting me. 

Okay than, I have no idea if this house is wired with a phone line, it's a new build, it might I'll have to check. So if it does than we need to buy a better phone with Tmobile or Verizon so that's a possibility then. 

Thanks so much folks

Honored Contributor

Satellite, or use your mobile phone (assuming yours has data).  Or, if you'd rather not ask the neighbor, ask the realtor who sold you the house.

Respected Contributor

@gulf coast girl  I live in a newly built house in an almost rural area. The homes in my development don't have landlines for phones, and mobile phones don't require wires.

Some mobile phone providers are now offering home internet service. It's a separate package, and it doesn't matter whether you have their cell phone service. However, it may be cheaper to bundle if possible. T-Mobile has home internet service at a price that's not supposed to go higher, Verizon has Fios, etc. T-Mobile's internet program has had a focus on rural areas. You might want to google and see if there's a mobile phone home internet provider in your zip code.

Frequent Contributor

TMobile has been advertising Internet which I believe runs off their cell towers so it does not have to hardwired.  That may be worth investigating.  Take a look at their website for information.

Honored Contributor

I live in a rural area that doesn't have cable.

You have gotten some good suggestions: check out satellite and also the wireless companies.  I agree that if you do have neighbors to ask them--it's a good way to break the ice anyway.

What I have is a local internet company.  It works similarly to cell service, with smaller towers which send the signal to a small dish on my roof (smaller than my satellite TV dish).  That has a cable that's attached to my router inside the house, which gives me WiFi throughout the house.

You can also ask people in your nearest town--I actually found out about this service years ago from the guy that installed our satellite TV.  Also google your internet options.

Good luck.  I know it's just one adjustment you'll be making in your new home.

Respected Contributor

@gulf coast girl 

You can get an iPad with cellular.