Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please, share your thoughts about “ push present” for daughter.

To me, the charms are more appropriate for the mother to give.

Let the husband give the bigger jewelry.

That way, grandma isn't upstaging the father, you know, the one that provided the sperm that helped to cause the mom to become pregnant.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

First; Congratulations to all!👼🤰🤱🙏🏼🎉🎀

Second; I've never heard the term "push present" and if it's to    imply the pushing that goes on in labor, I don't care for                it either.

Third; My dad gave my mom jewelry when my two siblings       and myself were born. My husband did not do this.                       My mom has since given them to each of us.Mine is                   a gold dress watch with "yo te amo"(I love  you in                        spanish and his name on the back of the face) It's so small, I can't wear it. (women's  wrists were smaller in the 50's! Lol!)

I say go for it! Something to treasure, remember and pass down!

Again, best wishes with your new granddaughter!🎉🎀👼🙏🏼😁

Thank you so much! What a beautiful story!

Respected Contributor

No there is nothing wrong with a mother giving her daughter a present to make the birth of a grandchild but for the love of God don't call it a push present. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SANNA 

Thank you! 

I have sons but I do own both the little angel charms for my sons and two gem baby shoes for each of my granddaughters. I bought them myself. Jewelry can always be passed on or sold later. If I had a daughter, I would've given her some type of jewelry gift(from mom to daughter to daughter.) Everything doesn't have to be practical. I don't see anything wrong with including your son in law. You know what your relationship is with him and if he'll be offended or not. When it comes to my sons I give and do as much as I want and can do. I don't usually ask or listen to others because most people think I give too much. My sons never ask me for a thing. They're both doing very well! I just finished paying off their undergraduate loans. I wanted to do it so I did! I told them if they want to go to graduate school they're on their own. I didn't  want them starting out in debt. I wanted to help them get started so I did. Most people say why are you paying? Like I'm doing something wrong! As far as my daughter in law, I love her and try to be the kind of mother in law I wished I had had! I respect her and my son's wishes when it comes to my granddaughters. I don't  compare what her parents do or don't do. I'm not trying to compete or upstage them. I do what I want and what I can for my granddaughters. I have set up a college fund and whole life insurance for each one.(practical) Afterall, he is my son. I love him and(my granddaughters)when I help them, I help him. So far it's working. I say do what's in your heart. You can't go wrong!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

I agree with the majority here.  I think giving your daughter a jewelry gift is stepping into the husband's territory.

If you feel compelled on getting her something, maybe you could consider giving her something the first time you visit after she gets home. I think any new mom would appreciate a "personal care" package that had new jammies, slippers, body lotion, bubble bath, and whatever else she likes to pamper herself with.

How exciting though about a new granddaughter coming!!!  🤗

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

Any new mom's I have known for the past couple years EXPECT/DEMAND  a Push Present.  It has caught on with this generation for sure.

Just like Sprinkles!  Really, ANOTHER baby shower?  What did you do with the stuff from the first?  I know now with almost everyone knowing the gender before birth, different genders for the second may require some new clothing...but another shower?

That's what the family should do...take care of their own.

I dislike being invited to Sprinkles and expecting to give another gift.  If I am close, I would be buying a gift anyways!

Zeesh, am I old.

@RespectLife 

Yup, sprinkle parties. 

For those who may not know what a sprinkle party is, it's basically a baby shower for the grandparent.

The grandparent has a party, for themselves, to celebrate their becoming a grandparent.

@Anonymous032819 

I never heard that explanation of a Sprinkle before!

Around here, anyone throws the mom another shower for additional children.  I was even invited to one for a third child and they were all girls!

Never knew of a Grandparent connection.  All the ones I was invited to were given by sisters, girlfriends etc.

Gifts for the baby/mom were expected.

It was a total repeat baby shower

Esteemed Contributor

@SANNA - Imo, a push present is not a gift from you, the parents. It is a gift from the husband to his wife should he choose to do so. You would be overstepping into his territory. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

Any new mom's I have known for the past couple years EXPECT/DEMAND  a Push Present.  It has caught on with this generation for sure.

Just like Sprinkles!  Really, ANOTHER baby shower?  What did you do with the stuff from the first?  I know now with almost everyone knowing the gender before birth, different genders for the second may require some new clothing...but another shower?

That's what the family should do...take care of their own.

I dislike being invited to Sprinkles and expecting to give another gift.  If I am close, I would be buying a gift anyways!

Zeesh, am I old.

@RespectLife 

Yup, sprinkle parties. 

For those who may not know what a sprinkle party is, it's basically a baby shower for the grandparent.

The grandparent has a party, for themselves, to celebrate their becoming a grandparent.

@Anonymous032819 

I never heard that explanation of a Sprinkle before!

Around here, anyone throws the mom another shower for additional children.  I was even invited to one for a third child and they were all girls!

Never knew of a Grandparent connection.  All the ones I was invited to were given by sisters, girlfriends etc.

Gifts for the baby/mom were expected.

It was a total repeat baby shower

@RespectLife 

I was mistaken and have been corrected in my definition of a sprinkle party.

😊 😊 😊 😊 😊 😊 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lol. This question pops up every so often. I enjoy reading the comments. 

When I had my first, I had never heard of the (1998).  Then, when he entered pre-school, I overhead a few months talking about them and showing them off. At that time, they were gem encrusted baby shoes you wore on a necklace. 14K yellow or white gold, covered in REAL rubies, emeralds, diamonds...whatever the gem of the month your child was born. Then I met moms who received a pair of earrings for their first. Then second child meant those earrings had to be upgraded to a larger size; the more kids, the larger the diamond. Then there were those who received a piece of jewelry based on what number the child was (first, second, third, fourth); earrings for the first, necklace for the second, ring for the third, etc;  ALL diamonds of course.

There is a jewelry story in Baltimore (Smyth Jewelers) where the "in the know" shop for the good stuff. They send out catalogs catering to Push Presents. Full of VERY expensive gifts (charms, earrings, bracelets, rings, necklaces) to present the mother after she has had the baby. And, don't forget their trade-in/trade-up program where you can get a more expensive item with each child. Oh, and if she had twins, here's what you need to buy her: 1ctw diamond for EACH baby in the form of a special necklace.

Yeah, it's popular with a certain crowd. I didn't belong to that crowd. Still don't.

@SANNA Regarding purchasing something for your daughter as a gift after having the baby.... will it be for this one child or will you present a gift to her with each child? In my family, a daughter ( or daughter in-law) is presented with a ring when she has her first child. In my situation, I received the ring that my mother received from her godmother when I was born. Should each of my sons marry, the first DIL to have a child will receive it; I'll purchase a new ring for any other DIL who has a child. It's a simple, gold ring with diamonds that can be worn along or with other rings. A special bond between a mother to a new mother and lovely tradition.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@SANNA Regarding purchasing something for your daughter as a gift after having the baby.... will it be for this one child or will you present a gift to her with each child? In my family, a daughter ( or daughter in-law) is presented with a ring when she has her first child. In my situation, I received the ring that my mother received from her godmother when I was born. Should each of my sons marry, the first DIL to have a child will receive it; I'll purchase a new ring for any other DIL who has a child. It's a simple, gold ring with diamonds that can be worn along or with other rings. A special bond between a mother to a new mother and lovely tradition.

@FiddleDeeDee 

I love this! I think this is very lovely and special! @SANNA perhaps you can start this tradition in your family with the gift of the earrings! Afterall, traditions have to begin somewhere!🤗

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran