Honored Contributor

Re: Please, share your thoughts about “ push present” for daughter.

I always thought a push present was from the father?

I think it's nice that you want to give her something but I too hate that term.  LOL  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Lol. This question pops up every so often. I enjoy reading the comments. 

When I had my first, I had never heard of the (1998).  Then, when he entered pre-school, I overhead a few months talking about them and showing them off. At that time, they were gem encrusted baby shoes you wore on a necklace. 14K yellow or white gold, covered in REAL rubies, emeralds, diamonds...whatever the gem of the month your child was born. Then I met moms who received a pair of earrings for their first. Then second child meant those earrings had to be upgraded to a larger size; the more kids, the larger the diamond. Then there were those who received a piece of jewelry based on what number the child was (first, second, third, fourth); earrings for the first, necklace for the second, ring for the third, etc;  ALL diamonds of course.

There is a jewelry story in Baltimore (Smyth Jewelers) where the "in the know" shop for the good stuff. They send out catalogs catering to Push Presents. Full of VERY expensive gifts (charms, earrings, bracelets, rings, necklaces) to present the mother after she has had the baby. And, don't forget their trade-in/trade-up program where you can get a more expensive item with each child. Oh, and if she had twins, here's what you need to buy her: 1ctw diamond for EACH baby in the form of a special necklace.

Yeah, it's popular with a certain crowd. I didn't belong to that crowd. Still don't.

@SANNA Regarding purchasing something for your daughter as a gift after having the baby.... will it be for this one child or will you present a gift to her with each child? In my family, a daughter ( or daughter in-law) is presented with a ring when she has her first child. In my situation, I received the ring that my mother received from her godmother when I was born. Should each of my sons marry, the first DIL to have a child will receive it; I'll purchase a new ring for any other DIL who has a child. It's a simple, gold ring with diamonds that can be worn along or with other rings. A special bond between a mother to a new mother and lovely tradition.

I love your story! Very nice tradition! I might start it with my daughter like you said. 

My daughter is not the type to wear corny shoe /doll pendants or charms , just not her style. So nice earrings would be a better choice. 

Lotions, robes and other things like that are not considered to be a special things in our family, and are bought a while ago as a necessity. I can only imagine to give my only child a lotion basket , how ridiculous. Mama is not a coworker or a neighbor.

Thanks again! And I loved the story about the store! I am not that crowd either! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So does the mom get a gift after a certain number of changed diapers??????.....or.....so many sleepless nights????  Isn't a healthy baby enough for everyone...🙄 All these new ideas for gifts is downright ridiculous...JMHO

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

Oh I am sure there can be many variations of it!

I'm old school...so whatever you want to call it...ONE shower please!  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Personally, I feel like this, and several other, new(er) traditions are going overboard.  When does it stop?  However, you are obviously free to do whatever you feel is appropriate and want to do.  I've normally heard of the husband/father giving the push present but, again, it is totally up to you.

I do wish your daughter a safe rest of her pregnancy and a safe delivery for both mother and child.  I know you'll cherish your new grandchild!  Enjoy and Congrats!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Super Contributor

Anything to make a new mom feel better and supported, why not?  Especially, as this is your daughter that you want to give a gift representing your love for her, go for it!

Super Contributor

A very thoughtful gift, but I would wait until she is home from the hospital to give it to her.  My Granddaughter recently had a baby, and there is so much going on it would be easy to lose them there.l

Honored Contributor

If a husband, mother, friend or whoever wants to give a mother a gift for having a baby is fine.

Having a baby is a gift in itself.

Is there really a reason to make a big production about it?

And how insane to go even more extravagant for each subsequent child.  

Calling it a *push presen*t is just, well, do you up the ante if an episiotomy is performed?

Honored Contributor

I think people should gift what and when they want to. Especially with your immediate loved ones, giving what you feel in your heart, when you feel it, is what life is all about. 

Personally, a gift for a new mom is very thoughtful in my opinion. Much at that time revolves around the baby, and new moms are often very tired, emotional, sometimes physically weak or in pain, and sometimes overwhelmed with everything. 

Growing and birthing a human being is a big job, and taking the time to give a new mom something just for her, is kind and thoughtful. 

But it's like all the other party/gifting things going on now, from engagement celebrations to wedding showers, to the reveal event, to baby showers, to sprinkles for the next baby, to even sprinkles for grandmas, and now push presents.....it can get to be just way too much. 

I say do what works for you, what you feel is right. And when it comes to a mom having a daughter now becoming a mother, it's a really special time. Celebrating part of it by treating the new mommy is a beautiful thing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SANNA wrote:

Our  daughter is expecting a baby girl in 6 weeks. We are obviously very excited and thrilled.

Even though I really dislike the term “ push present” I would like to present her with something beautiful, memorable and personal. 

I saw a pair of diamond hoop earrings that I think would be a very nice gift , maybe even from us and her husband that he could present her in the hospital. 

My husband being very practical man is saying it it unnecessary and wasteful.

I as a woman , speaking for myself, feel that it is a very nice, cheering gesture.

What do you ladies think? Please share your thoughts. Thank you

PS I know that the baby is the biggest present and all, but.....!!

@SANNA @I'm with you. If your DH was doing the pushing he'd probably feel differently. Giving birth and bringing new life into the world is a monumental task and a strong connection between you and your daughter is wonderful. Wearing a lovely piece of jewelry as a reminder of your love and connection is wonderful.

I'm not crazy with the term push present though. Wish it was called something else.