Honored Contributor

Re: Please share your Tracfone experiences

I used to think I would never text and then when I got a phone with texting abiliity I went text crazy.

NEVER when I'm driving though.  I have to pay attention so I can stay out of the way (or try to!)  of all the drivers who are!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@Mominohio  Here's what I'd suggest.  Let your DH get the phone and you keep the one you have, at least for now.  That LG phone can be tricky, especially for someone who's never used a smartphone.  I'd let hubby go through all the frustrations (there will be) and get if figured out eventually. Then you can get one and he can show you how to use it!  QVC and HSN both offer these same phones at least a couple times a year with similar features (HSN's is less expensive, though).  I know it sounds great to be able to do all that new stuff, but for someone who's never used a touch screen, there is a definite learning curve!

I can't afford to keep ours going and add the new (well, don't want to afford it). We've been with Verizon for years, and are paying $80 for a couple of old flip phones. It is crazy what we are paying, for what we use, so the whole Verizon thing has to go. 

I'll be the one fighting 'our' way through the learning curve, so I might as well get on board from the start. Hubby is more challenged than I am.

If you are happy with Verizions' service, but notthe price, they do offer a pay as you go product.  That is what my parents use.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

My husband is pushing to get into the 21st century and upgrade our cell phones. I'm not really wanting to, as I never use it, but realize I can't put him off much longer, I want to explore Tracfone.

Please understand that we are using old flip phones and have never even so much as sent or received a text. We aren't looking for a bunch of bells and whistles. He wants to have a GPS, a camera, and be able to post listings to ebay and such, and of course send and receive texts.

A couple of questions we have off the bat are:

When you buy additional minutes, do you get a little card thingy to put in the phone, or do you download minutes through the phone itself, or are both ways available?

If I buy my minutes well ahead of needing them, do they expire? I know what comes with the phone is good one year beyond activation. Are additional purchases good for one year beyond activation or beyond purchase?

Those minutes (and texts and data), do they all come as a package, like the original offer? So I buy X amount of minutes, and the same text and GB's come as well? (I do understand that somehow it knows I'm entitled to triple, and how has other's experience been with it actually knowing you get the triple?) 

Sorry to sound so completely 1950's but we just don't need this technology, I have had no interest in it, but hubby thinks he can no longer live without it, so any help with some questions today would be greatly appreciated! And feel free to keep explanations simple, as this whole thing is rather new to me!

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the day goes on.

Hello, I can only speak from my experience.  I loved the phone I purchased from HSN however the tracfone proved not to be practical for me.  It is true I did receive triple minutes everytime I purchased minutes however I was purchasing minutes a lot.  I guess I talk too much for a tracfone. LOL.  I have a land line too.  So I am now with the Walmart family plan and am very happy with it.  I was not able to use the phone I purchased.  Had to purchase another one.  If you do not talk much on your phone I guess tracfone is fine.  I guess some of us need unlimited. LOL.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had various Tracfones for years.  I love them. Mine isn't a smart phone nor a flipphone. It's an LG 840G I bought about 5 years ago.  I text all tge time,the camera is great.  I get triple minutes. Just buy a 60,120 or more card anywhere and your phone automatically triples those minutes and adds a later date to the end date.  I'm up to 2021 now!. Most tracfones sold today are triple minutes. You don't have to find a triple minute card (as someone mistakenly said) it's automatic when you put the numbers in the phone.  It couldn't be simpler. You will love it.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

i have an LG smartfone sold here 2 years ago.   this is my 2nd tracfone.   i like it and have no need to ditch this one.  mine has a few features the ones don't give, like missed call notification and answer with led button without having to swipe.   before this one i had a Samsung android and that was the one i learned on . that was the first TS android sold by HSN (i think) and it was a piece of junque.

if you need hand holding, dont rely on Tracfone CS .   it's frustrating enough if you need them to help activate.  i talked to them only once.    minutes i buy online or in a pinch, there are cards sold at retail: ( Wally World, convenience stores)

my fone can be powered off or use airplane mode to save battery from powering down .  running apps, having data activated and wifi on will diminish battery quicker .  avoid leaving your battery charger connected once the fone is charged or at 100%, remove it from the AC adapter. most of the adapters have a USB chiclet so you can use a device to charge as well.  my standby time is about 5 or 6 days unless i'm using data a lot.

android phones triple minutes. i use lots more minutes but use very little data so i buy a card that gives minutes and minimal data for less $$ than a regular airtime card

there is a learning curve to these smartfones.  the newer smartfones have tutorials on youtube or amazon users who buy from amazon make them or there mught be a few posted in Tracfone Reviewer. this is a Blog (not affiliated with TF).  with helpful tips and reviews of phones.  get a stylus, it will help with entering contacts and make your texting life easier!

Guide to Activating of switching to a Tracfone:

http://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/2016/08/guide-to-activating-or-switching-to.html

http://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/

HTH

Honored Contributor

I have been very satisfied with all my tracfones--except I'm not a big LG cell phone fan. It just didn't "feel" good to me the short time I had one--it got sent back.   But the service has been great. I think I've been with Tracfone for at least 5 or 6 years now. I upgraded to a Samsung Grand Prime,, from the Q, when it was the TSV earlier this year and really like it. Never had any issues switching my old phone over to the new phone at all. And now that you can buy just texts and data, I only spend $10 every few months now. I don't use the talk very much and have a zillion minutes still.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought mine a couple of years ago as a TSV also. The most bothersome part was transferring my exisitng cell number over using their non great speaking english customer service. After a few phone calls, it all worked out. My old phone was a pay as you go ATT flip phone when I made the move to Tracphone LG smart phone.

The phone is only good for people who don't talk a lot. My minutes just keep rolling over.

I can't believe the new phones won't turn off, that doesn't make any sense. I would call the phone maker (not Tracphone) with the model number and ask them how does the phone turn off.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio, I have had a tracfone nearly since they first became available.  I now have an Alcatel smartphone and have had a Samsung and LG.  Liked them both.  I always found them easy to activate and the triple minutes are great eif specially if used a lot.  I do not use mine that much for calls and texts but really like having the internet.  The talk, text and data minutes never expire as long as you keep your phone activated.  If you buy online you can get a month of service for $9.99 and there are many special offers that will be cheaper per month.  I actually have nearly 3,000 of each at this point and each time I have to add to keep service activated there are more but still way cheaper than any plan!  It's nice to have GPS directions and I have used them when in an unfamiliar area walking.  I read magazines and books.  I go online to buy my minutes but have bought directly from the phone (you have to set it up to do that) or you can buy a card and call toll free number to add.  You can use your internet service at home and if there is free WiFi anywhere you can use that rather than use your data minutes.  You only need to use data minutes if neither option is available.  It's all very easy and I am somewhat tech challenged. You can go online to tracfone.com and read FAQs. Just don't get overwhelmed by the technology and stay calm and follow the directions which are easy but can seem overwhelming.  The few times I needed tracfone CS I have never had a problem either.  I always activate online as it's so easy.  You can also keep your old phone numbers if you wish.  It might help if you had someone (children, relative or friend) that could help you through the activation process and explain how to use the phone.  I hope this helps a little at least.  Good luck! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought my first mobile phone, a tracphone from QVC, in May 2015. I had no problem setting it up even though a complete novice. I still have a landline but use my tracphone for long distance which costs me on my landline. I got a different phone number for the tracphone so that I could just give out the number to those I wanted to have it. I didn't use all the time/data so at the end of the year that time was addded onto my renewal purchase which I renewed on tracphone's website. I rarely text or make calls so I don't need a lot of data on the phone. I am satisfied with the phone and the experience.

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio I can answer some questions if they haven't been answered yet.

Yes this phone can be turned off.  On the tsv page go down to description and click on the services guide pdf.   This guide (you should get a hard copy with your phone) shows a drawing and on the back of phone #10 is the on off and tells you how to use it.  You can study this online services guide before you get your phone.

How do you buy minutes?  You can buy cards in stores all over or buy from tracfone online with your phone or on another device.  At the store you will see many choices and you don't need to buy a card that says triple minutes, you buy a regular card and it will triple the minutes automatically.  Because I don't use my phone much I buy a 90 day card with 60 minutes (triples to 180 minutes) it costs 19.99 so it costs me $80 a year to have my phone.  My husband uses his more so I buy the 1 year card that is $99 and it has lots more minutes (I can't remember how many) and it triples.  You can add a card whenever you want.  You could get your phone next week and add a card the next day.  You don't lose your minutes while keeping your service active. There are many types of cards even some that just add data if a person needs that.

I usually just buy a card at the store to add minutes because I have something real in my hand.  I go to tracfone on my tablet (because it is big and easy to read but you can do it with the phone (tiny) or your computer.  You need to have your phone on to receive the added minutes. 

I can't say this enough, look at the services guide to become familiar with the phone.

libby's folly