Super Contributor

Please recommend the best place/site to purchase contact lenses

Hi All,

I just started wearing contact lenses. My optometrist said he could order them for me but, I’m wondering, if it be cheaper if I directly order from a website. I was hoping someone could please recommend the best place/website to do so.

I’m assuming that I will not need a prescription from my doctor. I know exactly the prescription for each of my eyes. Thanks again!
Respected Contributor

Re: Please recommend the best place/site to purchase contact lenses

@MsCatLuver wrote:
Hi All,

I just started wearing contact lenses. My optometrist said he could order them for me but, I’m wondering, if it be cheaper if I directly order from a website. I was hoping someone could please recommend the best place/website to do so.

I’m assuming that I will not need a prescription from my doctor. I know exactly the prescription for each of my eyes. Thanks again!

You will need the prescription from your doctor to order contact lenses online.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MsCatLuver   When I used to wear contact lenses, you could shop around for the best price, but in more recent years, I found the price is standard all over the place.

You will need a current prescription to buy from any legitimate site, and I would only get them from a valid site, because you don't want inferior or unsafe contacts.  I would also stock up if you need to in order to not run out if your prescription is close to expiring.  

You can always try 1 800 contacts website, they probably have the most stock or even the Walmart or Target optometry sites.  You can always check for any rebates or coupons or rebate sites, but I think the prices have been standardized across all retailers.

Someone who currently buys contacts could have more current information.

**I just checked and see that Target optical has a sale of 15% off on contacts with the discount code right on the site, plus if you use a Target card, you get an additional 5% savings, plus ebates (rakuten) also have a 5% rebate on target optical today. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

The price depends on the prescription.    I wear bi-focal, plus astigmatism, and they are pretty pricey compared to single vision.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

Thank you for all those who replied. I was just Wondering if somebody had an exceptionally good or exceptionally bad experience ordering online. Thanks again!
Honored Contributor

I always had good luck with 1 800 Contacts when I was buying them for my son. 

Honored Contributor

Many members of my family order contacts from 1 800 Contacts.  No one has ever complained, not to me anyway.  You need the prescription.  We print if off from our Opthalmologist's website or the office will fax the script to us.  I ordered eyeglasses online, it a few years ago.  I wanted red frames.  It was a good experience, no problems at all.  

Respected Contributor

I've been buying mine from Costco initially in the store, but now I order thru their website. 

Super Contributor

My daughter used to get her contacts from the 1 800 contacts place but she found them significantly cheaper at Costco.  Exam was cheaper too, and they gave her a couple of the new transitions ones for free..