Super Contributor

Please help-New rescue dog with history of biting...

I am so upset. My husband and I adopted a 4 year old cocker spaniel from a large reputable animal rescue organization. Upon meeting her she was very sweet-tempered, great around other dogs and even cats. She allowed us to examine her all over, look in ears, etc without any signs of aggression or even discomfort. The shelter assured us she had been very sweet and they had no problems with her. After getting her home (we live 3 hours away from shelter) I was reading her vet records from the owner who surrendered her and there are 4 seperate references regarding the owner reporting that she bit her and/or husband...one of the entries stated that the biting occured primarily when taking something away from her. I am so heartbroken. I can't believe that the rescue didn't tell us this information...maybe they didn't read the records?..but shouldn't they have?

We still have not seen any signs of aggression, not even growling...my husband has tried giving her a treat and then taking it away, taking away her stuffed toy, and I removed her food bowl while she was eating. She just sat there like an angel and waited for to return it to her. She is calm, housebroken, and seems so laidback. My mother stopped by and she did not bark or growl at her but just wagged her tail and let her pet and scratch her. I don't know what to think or do now. We don't have a lot of experience with dogs and we are both very nervous around her now. I know a lot of you ladies work with rescue's and are very knowledgable. Is it possible that she is just behaving now and when she gets more "settled" her personality will change. She is so sweet and mild-mannered I can't believe it could even be the same dog. I am sitting her crying writing this because I just can't bear the thought of returning her but I don't want to get myself into someone we can't handle. Please help me.