Respected Contributor

Please forgive me for beating a dead horse....

...but here we go again re: STUPID DOCTORS.

I've have spinal and hip problems for several years now. I saw a pain doc yesterday and I'm not sure how she got out of medical school without cheating. You know what she wants me to do to help with my pain issues?  SEE A PSYCHOLOGIST!!!!!

Will someone explain to me (or to her) how talk therapy is going to help with excrutiating pain???

Later in the day I saw an orthopedist and he figured out what the problem is in probably less than an hour. He rememebered to take X-rays (a whole series, not just one or two little snapshots)  and after the went over them with DH and I, he came to a conclusion NO ONE else had thought of.

Not even the genius who, 15 years ago, was going to put me through a series of painful tests because my hip was hurting, then thought oh wait, let's take a weight-bearing x-ray, then almost ran into my room and said, actually, you need your hips replaced. 

Which he did, and left one leg shorter than the other (there's more to it than that but it's a long explanation which I won't subject you to) and that's probably what's causing my pain now. Dr. Genius made another mistake during surgery that required corrective surgery a few months later, too.

I'm so exasperated...there's not a whole lot that can be done for the arthritis in my back but we (I always think of my doctor and I as a team) might be able to come up with something. At least THIS guy has a brain!

Regular Contributor

Re: Please forgive me for beating a dead horse....

[ Edited ]

If you really think about what it's like to beat a dead horse, it's a horrible expression.

Football is my favorite season.
Honored Contributor

You have accomplished one important step, you have confidence in this guy.  

Honored Contributor

Am sorry you have been through so much dealing with incompetent drs. I have had my share as well. Sounds like you have turned a corner and finally found one who will take the time to figure out how to fix or treat your pain issue. I do know that drs don’t like challenging cases. They give a quick diagnosis, write a script, and they are outta there!
Esteemed Contributor

I had an encounter with a huge "medical factory."  I had fallen over my husband dancing on a cruise ship.  Okay for a few days but when I got home I was in horrible pain. My leg all the way up from the toes to my hip.  Sciatica I was told when I went to that "factory."  And here is the most fun part.  Exact quote... " you are old, don't you know how old you are?  You cannot expect to heal."  I got out of there fast even in pain and went to a local physical therapist. Cured, cured and very cured.  You would think the medical doctor with a huge facility set  up for just my problem would have helped me.  Orthopedist without kindness, caring or even a brain. 

Honored Contributor

Yeah, if at first they don't do what you need, find another doctor.  They are after all, just human and as prone to mistakes as the next person.  But,   we know our bodies, and I am a firm believer, that if you continue to hurt, seek another doctor.  I sure am!

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten      just want to say I totally understand your feelings... you really are on your own in the medical  industry.... I, like you, have arthritis everywhere and have two artificial knees and two artificial hips... I went through all the imaging... Xrays.. tests... and came to the conclusion I am on my own and so I deal with the pain and discomfort with natural things...  herbs, diet and some meditation.. instead of using pharmaceuticals. 

The joint replacements for me were a blessing. Sorry to hear that you did not have a good outcome. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten      just want to say I totally understand your feelings... you really are on your own in the medical  industry.... I, like you, have arthritis everywhere and have two artificial knees and two artificial hips... I went through all the imaging... Xrays.. tests... and came to the conclusion I am on my own and so I deal with the pain and discomfort with natural things...  herbs, diet and some meditation.. instead of using pharmaceuticals. 

The joint replacements for me were a blessing. Sorry to hear that you did not have a good outcome. 

Hi Sea Maiden--

I guess I gave the wrong impression about my hip replacement. I was very glad to get it done and for the most part, the replacements worked well. But that darned, dumb doctor forgot to turn me on my side during surgery and pinched a nerve in my arm, which had to be surgically repaired. It was a "simple" case of someone NOT paying attention.

I should also add that the replacements are still in good shape, after 15 years.

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I had an encounter with a huge "medical factory."  I had fallen over my husband dancing on a cruise ship.  Okay for a few days but when I got home I was in horrible pain. My leg all the way up from the toes to my hip.  Sciatica I was told when I went to that "factory."  And here is the most fun part.  Exact quote... " you are old, don't you know how old you are?  You cannot expect to heal."  I got out of there fast even in pain and went to a local physical therapist. Cured, cured and very cured.  You would think the medical doctor with a huge facility set  up for just my problem would have helped me.  Orthopedist without kindness, caring or even a brain. 

My God, that is really shocking but having witnessed my sister getting tongue-lashed by a surgical tech, I believe you. And, yes, the doctors I've been seeing are with what's considered one of the best facilities in this area.

Honored Contributor

I will never forget when a relative was going through medical school. I can not tell you how many times he would say that he would feel sorry for whoever went to certain classmates when they became Doctors. 

He also would quote a saying, what do you call the person that graduates in last place in medical school. The answer is Doctor.