Honored Contributor

Please explain to me WHY the error at the Oscars is such a big deal.

[ Edited ]

The right movie, in the end, WAS awarded.

What, exactly, is it that's causing people to be fired, nasty comments from celebrities and all the press? Is it just Hollyweird doing its thing as usual?

Can you tell I don't give a flip about the Oscars? I DO, however, want to know why this story is appearing on all my news feeds, hence the original question.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please explain to me WHY the error at the Oscars is such a big deal.

Are you kidding?

The VP of the accounting firm PWC was so busy tweeting a picture of himself with Emma Stone who had just won, that he handed the wrong envelope to Warren Beaty.

That is disgraceful. He has just one job. Hand the right envelope--which are labeled with the particular award-- to the presenter. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

Because Hollywood and celebreties are toally self-absorbed. I read what Shirley McLain said about it. Now I see why she acts...drama queen. While no one likes a mix-up like that, the world certainly has bigger issues. This whole thing is why I avoid award shows. What other industry has award shows to tell themselves how wonderful they are? None.

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Esteemed Contributor

I have no idea why this is such a huge deal, but I am tired of hearing about it too. If this is the biggest problem people have, then they don't have any problems in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

I'll take a stab at it - because people keep bringing it up again and again?  Smiley Happy

I hadn't thought about it for a while, until I saw another new thread about it.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't seen any nasty comments -- frankly I am not looking.  It was an honest mistake.  I do think, however, they were right in telling the couple they could no longer work the Oscars (although it was HIS fault, not hers, but it seems she got "punished" anyway).  I heard he posted a photo of Emma Stone on line just before he gave out the wrong envelope.  He was not supposed to be taking photos or posting anything.  So he was at fault here.  So let Price Waterhouse deal with it.

Everyone else should just let it go.  Honestly, Hollywood types think they are so much more important than they really are.  I only watch to see the dresses, that's it.  The entertainment isn't that good.  I don't care who wins.  I don't care what they say -- although the politics in the speaches is quite annoying.  They all need to get over themselves.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

What, exactly, is it that's causing people to be fired, nasty comments from celebrities and all the press? Is it just Hollyweird doing its thing as usual?

Can you tell I don't give a flip about the Oscars? I DO, however, want to know why this story is appearing on all my news feeds, hence the original question.

who was fired? the accountants who made the mistake will not have that opportunity at the oscars again, but they are still a part of the firm.

30+ million viewers watched the oscars.....there was a HUGE mistake at the end, one that has not happened before. that gets attention......the oscars always get attention, both good and bad.  good thing about newsfeeds though is that one can pass by the stories that are of no interest.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

What, exactly, is it that's causing people to be fired, nasty comments from celebrities and all the press? Is just Hollyweird doing its thing as usual?

@SahmIam

I agree I don't understand all the attention over a silly mix-up over a silly movie award, it's all about self-absorbed GOLLYWOOD....and I even got scolded because I even thought the situation was humorous.....  Woman Tongue

Just look at all the problems in this world---6 torandoes touched down in my area destroying homes/apartments,  a friend has been diagnosed with breast cancer, and other people with health issues preventing them from leading "normal" lives, take a visit to a children's hospital and see these little ones battling serious illnesses and some may not make it, look at people desperately looking for work, a resavoir threatening to destory homes in California as the rains continue,  beheadings, shootings, etc etc etc.....and then consider a mixup over an award--all the ridiculous hoopla---it's as if the situation has been declared A NATIONAL DISASTER......PLEASE there are many real serious and important things happening in the world, a mixup with an enevelope isn't.....so what if it never happened before.....get over it Hollywood and move on!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Just goes to show that texting can cause problems in more situations than behind the wheel of a car. 

Super Contributor

As others have said on another thread, , Warren Beatty knew he had the wrong card. The award was for best picture not best actress and he should have stopped right there and then and called over the guy who handed him the incorrect card.  But no,  he allowed Faye to read the incorrect information.