Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please allow me to vent - ShopHq

I understand your frustration with their unbending policy. I don't know if you are aware but you can go online at USPS and schedule a pick up at your home. This would have saved you time and heartache. I would chalk it up as lesson learned. I have found that customer service is not what it used to be. Many retailers are suffering due to inflation. Wishing you well.

Honored Contributor

Years ago, back when we actually had real live people answering phones in customer service departments, I think the representatives had more leeway in allowing for exceptions to the company rules.  I don't think that's as widespread now as it used to be.

More customer service reps are now just working from home off the company scripts with no leeway whatsoever.  Once again, a money saving option for the company.  There still are companies with that personal relationship with their customers, but apparently the one that the OP dealt with is not one of them.

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

I agree with @SeaMaiden @moonandthestars  they should have allowed a one time exception. A lot of companies do this. They could have also offered a credit instead. 

You got a lot of scolding here today.  You clearly asked "please allow me to vent". Venting means listening not scolding. So yes, you can vent and some of us will listen. 

Life happens, and time does get away from us. I feel bad for you. Good luck with the dental issues. That's enough to make anyone miserable. 

I don't see anyone scolding her. No one stopped her from venting. I see people stating facts about Shop's policy. Some comments might not be mushed up with all kinds of sympathetic and loving words but that doesn't mean OP is being scolded.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Etoile308 wrote:

Oh, brother! Now who is passive aggressively scolding?

The concept that someone post a vent and expect all to feel the same and be supportive seems unrealistic to me. Then those not in agreement are accused of lacking goodwill. Oh, brother.

Exactly.  When someone posts, they have to expect feedback. Not everyone will agree. Not everyone will like it. We all walk away unhappy with comments sometimes. People need to put on their big girl and big boy pants. 

Respected Contributor

@Sage04   Yes, I know I don't have to respond to all posts, but I will for yours. I am over the shophq situation, but that doesn't mean that I've changed my mind about how they handled things.  I mean it's fine, it's their right of course but I don't have to agree or like how they handled it.  Most here don't agree with me, and that's ok too.  However many of those, I feel, responded towards me with a harshness and disbelief that I could even think this way and imo came at ME with the comments as opposed to just a situation.  - do I understand business at all?  should I even shop online? do I expect to be treated specially by a business?  should I adjust my expectations?  why would I even think this way? (like grow up or something).  And then when I posted a comment about a busines and the value of goodwill, which I thought some posters were not acknowledging (the idea of business goodwill), my comment was misunderstood and twisted to be I guess saying posters didn't have good will.  Maybe?  Which wasn't what I was saying at all.  Anyway that person called me passive aggressive, and I just checked now and find 4 people have liked her comment - including you.  (not very nice).  Goodwill is part of a company's value..  Includes loyalty of customers, just fyi.  And I think I shouldn't have had to ask for people to be more gentle - would be nice if people could do that on their own.  But I did ask so why not?  So hard to be kind?  And in case my asking wasn't enough I posted again about my mouth issue to see if that woud spur people to lighten up on me.  My being upset about this situation is not interfering with my healing.  It will naturally heal in it's own time. Overall I am just sorry that I posted this venting thread at all. 

Esteemed Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@Sage04   Yes, I know I don't have to respond to all posts, but I will for yours. I am over the shophq situation, but that doesn't mean that I've changed my mind about how they handled things.  I mean it's fine, it's their right of course but I don't have to agree or like how they handled it.  Most here don't agree with me, and that's ok too.  However many of those, I feel, responded towards me with a harshness and disbelief that I could even think this way and imo came at ME with the comments as opposed to just a situation.  - do I understand business at all?  should I even shop online? do I expect to be treated specially by a business?  should I adjust my expectations?  why would I even think this way? (like grow up or something).  And then when I posted a comment about a busines and the value of goodwill, which I thought some posters were not acknowledging (the idea of business goodwill), my comment was misunderstood and twisted to be I guess saying posters didn't have good will.  Maybe?  Which wasn't what I was saying at all.  Anyway that person called me passive aggressive, and I just checked now and find 4 people have liked her comment - including you.  (not very nice).  Goodwill is part of a company's value..  Includes loyalty of customers, just fyi.  And I think I shouldn't have had to ask for people to be more gentle - would be nice if people could do that on their own.  But I did ask so why not?  So hard to be kind?  And in case my asking wasn't enough I posted again about my mouth issue to see if that woud spur people to lighten up on me.  My being upset about this situation is not interfering with my healing.  It will naturally heal in it's own time. Overall I am just sorry that I posted this venting thread at all. 

@moonandthestars  so glad you are over the shophq situation. Most of us don't like the way certain things are done but we have no choice but to accept it. One thing you should know (I know you do) is that you can't tell others what to say.

When I'm in pain (nerve pain) I do not let anything upset me. I avoid anything that would aggreviate me, and I don't complain because no one can help me, but that's just me. I like peace of mind.

It's ok to Post and vent as much as you want but always remember that we don't have to agree with what you say. Thanks for responding to my Post.

Hope over the next week the swelling would be gone and also the pain.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps during ordinary times, a hard 30 day return policy can be justified, but these are far from ordinary times. That the item has to be received within 30 days is unacceptable since  the OP has no control once the item is handed off to the shipper, and  have all waited weeks for a package to arrive.

Calling first may have made a difference, at least it would have saved $10.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Perhaps during ordinary times, a hard 30 day return policy can be justified, but these are far from ordinary times. That the item has to be received within 30 days is unacceptable since  the OP has no control once the item is handed off to the shipper, and  have all waited weeks for a package to arrive.

Calling first may have made a difference, at least it would have saved $10.

@occasionalrain  we don't know when it was mailed but anyway it got there too late.

I remember years ago when everyone went to the mall to shop and returns were only accepted within 7days. That was surely something and people made it on time.

Now Companies are famous for saying "oh we can't override it, the Computer says it's late". Blame the computer.