Honored Contributor

Re: Please, Take Off Your...

[ Edited ]

Sounds to me as if the OP is more offended about removing her shoes rather than the slobbery dogs! I don't know about any of you but whenever we have guests over, whether we know them or not, the first thing they do is remove their shoes. I never have to ask! Don't your guests do the same?? I just can't imagine entering someones home wearing my shoes, unless they insist, then I keep them on.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I learned many years ago from a bad experience to never go to the bosses house for dinner, meetings, or any type of gathering.

The boss should have meetings at the work place and cater breakfast to be brought in, meet at a restaurant or just bring coffee and donuts to work.

No way would I meet at a bosses house. 

Honored Contributor

I have no problem with taking off my shoes in a home, especially if it is new or has light colored carpet. However, the dogs would have done it for me. When I go to someones home I do not expect to have my clothes slobbered on or be covered in fur when I leave. I would never go back.

Honored Contributor

It is rude (and tacky) to ask an adult guest to remove their shoes in your home.  Period.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

The dogs should have been locked away during the breakfast. Manners is about making OTHERS feel at ease. Shoes? It’s a matter of local customs. Where I grew up, it would have been rude to ask guests to remove shoes, and, equally bad in our area, asking guests to remove their shoes would have been viewed as the act of a the parvenu or nouveau riche. To paraphrase my mother, if you have to worry that much about something, whether it’s your home flooring or a handbag, “you can’t afford it.” Better for some people to have cheap vinyl flooring and allow guests to wear shoes. I wouldn’t want to be shoeless in someone else’s home, esp if they have dogs.

Exactly!!!!

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Sounds to me as if the OP is more offended about removing her shoes rather than the slobbery dogs! I don't know about any of you but whenever we have guests over, whether we know them or not, the first thing they do is remove their shoes. I never have to ask! Don't your guests do the same?? I just can't imagine entering someones home wearing my shoes, unless they insist, then I keep them on.

Same here.  People entering the main level of our home always remove their shoes, even when I tell them they don't have to.  I do the same, just out of habit.

We all gather at BIL & SIL house for Christmas.  When you look towards the front door there are 30-40 pairs of shoes there.  They never ask anyone to remove shoes, but practically everyone does.

Honored Contributor

I never have understood the take your shoes off in my house mentality.  I guess I am just a clodhopper.

I love animals and have 2 dogs but I do not let my dogs aggravate guests and I do not want to be aggravated by other peoples dogs either.

It was a very thoughtful gesture what your boss did and if she wants to do it again I would just tell her you have a dog dander allergy and you will be unable to attend.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@Carmie  I completely agree. And, if I might add, never host anything including a boss in your own home. I learned the hard way....keep my professional life and personal life separate.

Honored Contributor

I have no problem with removing my shoes at someone's home. Not at all! However, I do have a problem with a large dog or any dog for that matter running and jumping up like that. 

Not everyone likes that, and may not be into dogs like that. I like dogs, but am very leery of them if I don't know them...I feel like if you are having a house full of guests, please put your dog up.'

My sister is like that, she will never put her dog up-no matter what......She said she thinks it is cruel...My granddaughter was so afraid of her dog, and he was jumping all over and she wouldn't put him up, so I had to hold my granddaughter the whole time we were there....Which wasn't very long, because I was so mad that she wouldn't put her dog up...

I think you have to realize that not everyone is going to love your pet like you do, and some may even be afraid or allergic, so she should have said something up front about even having a dog.....

I would have left....... 

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

If I was having a meeting at my house, I would make sure everyone was comfortable around dogs.  If not, I would either not have the meeting at my home or I would put the dogs in a bedroom.  However, you were hardly "mauled" by dogs.

Dog hair can be swept up and dog drool can be easily cleaned up.  Crud ground into the carpet from shoes or scratched up wood floors from something stuck on the bottom of shoes are trickier. 

If that’s how you feel, then do not invite guests. Period.

I don't ask people to take their shoes off when they come into my home but most are considerate enough to do so.