Respected Contributor

Please Return Your Shopping Cart to the Cart Corral

[ Edited ]

Just came back from grocery shopping at Wegmans.  For those of you who aren't familiar with Wegmans, it's not your ordinary grocery store.  It's also a wonderful shopping experience quite unlike any grocery store.   But, I digress.  

On my way in the store before starting my shopping, I decided to grab a slice of their own delicious store made pizza and a bottle of water and went upstairs to their large, dining area to sit and eat it.  I sat at a table near the window and you could see down and the entire outside front parking lot. 

An elderly man who was in his own wheelchair, not motorized, and had a service dog (German Shepherd) on a short leash and was pushing a shopping cart in front of him to his car in the handicapped spot.  First, he unhooked and took off the dog's service cloak and opened the back seat door and the dog jumped right in.  The man then, in his wheelchair, opened the front passenger door and reached in the shopping cart to grab several bags, one at a time, as he manuevered his wheelchair to make it all work for him.    He then, opened the back of his SUV and left the tailgate open as he pushed the empty shopping cart in front of him in his wheelchair. The nearest shopping cart corral was least 15 cars from where he was parked, and the parking lot was sloped on a slight decline, which means he had to wheel himself up the incline to get back to his car.

Once back to his SUV, he managed to pull himself up out of his wheelchair and, while holding onto the back of the vehicle with one hand, he managed to pull the 2 wheels off the chair, put them in the trunk and lifted with one hand the rest of the wheelchair to fit in the back.  He held onto the back and side of the SUV, and slowly made his way over to the driver's door to get in. 

Watching him, as I sat eating my pizza, all I could think about was if this man, with his age and disabilities, could take the time to bring his shopping cart back to the cart corral, then why are there so many lazy, uncaring but able-bodied people leaving carts anywhere and everywhere but where they belong!    

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Re: Please Return Your Shopping Cart to the Cart Corral

@ciao_bella That poor man!  It sounds like grocery shopping is a big ordeal unlike for most of us who take it for granted.

I agree that one should return the carts to the corral. No one wants a wayward cart running into their cars and scratching them!

BTW, I was in Wegmans this morning. I love going shopping there and stop by when I drop DH off at this therapy in NJ. We are soon (sometime next year) to get a Wegmans in the town next to mine. Their prepared foods isle can be dangerous for me!  Too many tempting goodies!

I bought one of their handmade pizzas to have for dinner tonight. They are delicious!

Honored Contributor

That is an amazing story and I have to give complete credit to the man who was able to do it all without help.  It may have taken him time to get the routine down pat but patience and perseverance paid off. 

As far as putting a cart back in the proper place, I agree with you.  Many people just leave the cart anywhere, block parking spots, leave them where they can dent a car.  For me putting the cart in its place is exercise even if it is only walking a bit!!!!  

Honored Contributor

Now the carts are all over town because people steal them.  It's ok now to take things that don't belong to you apparently.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

@ciao_bella That poor man!  It sounds like grocery shopping is a big ordeal unlike for most of us who take it for granted.

I agree that one should return the carts to the corral. No one wants a wayward cart running into their cars and scratching them!

BTW, I was in Wegmans this morning. I love going shopping there and stop by when I drop DH off at this therapy in NJ. We are soon (sometime next year) to get a Wegmans in the town next to mine. Their prepared foods isle can be dangerous for me!  Too many tempting goodies!

I bought one of their handmade pizzas to have for dinner tonight. They are delicious!

@haddon9  My daughter, who has disabilities, works for Wegmans.  It's a wonderful store and they treat their employees very well.  I drive her in to work and, at times, will do my grocery shopping at the same time. 

While waiting in the parking area to pick my daughter up, I have seen many a shopping cart take off down the sloped parking lot at full speed and hit cars either parked or leaving the parking lot.  They have caused some major large dents to cars too.   

Yes and yes, to Wegmans foods prepared by their in-store chefs.  I will, occasionally, grab something to go if I'm rushed and don't have time to make dinner.  My son loves their fresh sushi as well. 

Glad you're getting a Wegmans near you soon.  You'll love having it close by.   

Honored Contributor

My mind is still stuck on a guy in a manual wheel chair, pulling a leashed dog and pushing a shopping cart full of groceries.  I'm thinking he must have 4 arms... 😂

Honored Contributor

We don't have Wegmans but don't they have people that help people out with their groceries?  I'm almost always asked to carry my bags out for me at Publix.  Today I said no and dropped my cart off on my way out.  It also sounds like it would've been easier for him to take the cart back to the store than to the corral if it was 15 cars away.  I often do that too.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree  Clearly, he knew what he was doing and probably has done it many times before.  I don't think you would have brushed it off with an emoji laugh and remark about him having 4 arms if you had watched him.  The word 'empathy' comes to mind, and apparently you don't seem to have that in your vocabulary very often.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Always do at our local grocery chain.

And yes it always seems the corrals are uphill and away from the HP parking (when we can get a spot) at our local grocery chain. People have offered though so there are good people.

Trader Joe's always helps me to load the groceries without asking. They see the cane and some know me by now.

Whole Foods will ask but I very seldom shop there anymore.

""I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues."-The Lorax
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

My mind is still stuck on a guy in a manual wheel chair, pulling a leashed dog and pushing a shopping cart full of groceries.  I'm thinking he must have 4 arms... 😂

@chrystaltree   What is so funny?

""I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues."-The Lorax