Honored Contributor

Re: Please Remember the D-Day Heroes Today

[ Edited ]

I wonder if the date of D-Day is forever imprinted in the minds of Boomers and almost-Boomers because of the 1956 movie D-Day, the Sixth of June.

When the month of June opens and we inch toward D-Day, I can clearly hear the booming voice of the movie preview as it solemnly announces, "D-Day, the Sixth of June."

I'm not kidding. 

ETA:  I just found the trailer for the movie.  Give it half a minute and you will hear the sonorous voice boom out, "D-Day, the Sixth of June."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SNJR4eJ36o

undefined

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

I wonder if the date of D-Day is forever imprinted in the minds of Boomers and almost-Boomers because of the 1956 movie D-Day, the Sixth of June.

When the month of June opens and we inch toward D-Day, I can clearly hear the booming voice of the movie preview as it solemnly announces, "D-Day, the Sixth of June."

I'm not kidding. 

ETA:  I just found the trailer for the movie.  Give it half a minute and you will hear the sonorous voice boom out, "D-Day, the Sixth of June."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SNJR4eJ36o

undefined

This movie embedded the date in my memory. This and December 7th. Never forget.

Esteemed Contributor

We owe so much ❤️

My dad was in the navy during the war and it has been sad to see how the reunions have dwindled away.

Contributor

As I slowly walked along Omaha beach in Normandy,  the ocean waves were washing ashore.  I thought about the amount of blood lost from so many Americans on that beach and suddenly found myself kneeling down in the sand praying for them and their families and thanking them for sacrificing their lives that day.  With my right hand, I reached down in the sand and brought up a handful, then slowly let it drift through my fingers, just imagining the blood that was on that sandy beach.  I then stood up and looking forward and off to my right about 15 to 20 feet away, was a little boy, probably about 2 or 3 years old, sitting playing in the sand with his little bucket and shovel.  A high price was paid so that sweet little boy could have his freedom, as well as many others having their freedom.  May all of you who have sacrificed so much, rest in eternal peace.  

Esteemed Contributor

77 years ago, (on this date) in our history - Allied -troops landed on the coast in northern France, laying groundwork for victory over Nazi Germany in World War II.

D-Day is one of our nation's proudest moments.

It makes a point

in World History,

and we owe the [FREEDOMS] we enjoy today,

the soldiers who sacrificed so much June 06, 1944