Honored Contributor

Re: Please Remember the D-Day Heroes Today

@Anonymous032819 I saw that and started this discussion because maybe it will remind some, and maybe educate a few!  

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

These are the boys of Pointe du Hoc. These are the men who took the cliffs. These are the champions who helped free a continent. These are the heroes who helped end a war.

Gentlemen, I look at you and I think of the words of Stephen Spender's poem. You are men who in your 'lives fought for life . . . and left the vivid air signed with your honor.'

@just bee That is certainly a good reminder, and the women who were nurses, secretaries, cooks, airplane mechanics (my aunt was one!) and packed parachutes, among a zillion other things they did.

As well as remembering the pain and anxiety of families back home. . . the gold star mothers and all of them.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've been to Normany and have seen the battlefield and the American Cemetery.  Words can not convey the enormous feat these patriot heroes accomplished.  If you ever get the chance to make this trip, do.

Honored Contributor

I have heard that the parachute packers, women or mostly women, had to put their names in the chutes they packed, and sometimes got notes or small gifts of thanks. 

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

@just bee a beautiful, poignant tribute. Thank you.

@SunValley 

“Strengthened by their courage, heartened by their valor, and borne by their memory, let us continue to stand for the ideals for which they lived and died.”

Peggy Noonan wrote that speech; our 40th President delivered it. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Ah, but I do admire the work of Peggy Noonan!  

Everyone should read or re-read "When Character Was King."   Writers and thinkers who are inclusive and can count wisdom among their strengths have an enlightening and salutary effect on the world.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pin on interesting or beautiful

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I've been to Normany and have seen the battlefield and the American Cemetery.  Words can not convey the enormous feat these patriot heroes accomplished.  If you ever get the chance to make this trip, do.

@patbz  How Amazing to have actually been there wow !!!    If I ever do get the chance I certainly will go .     Sometimes it's hard to beileve these young men who surely knew there was a good chance they wouldn't make it .  We owe them such a debt of gratitude and thanks .

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Pin on interesting or beautiful

amen🙏🏻

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Please stop and give thanks today for the heroes of D-Day who gave so much, and often their lives, for the Freedoms we have today.

There were so many involved in the planning, implementation and aftermath of the attack, and the beginning of a long and bloody struggle!

@Sooner thank you for the reminder, I am ashamed to admit I forgot, thanks again.