Honored Contributor

Re: Please Let People Know What Your Topic is About

@rockygems123 wrote:

@Sooner Agree that some titles are missing information and not lending enough info to know the content and intent of the message.  

Sometimes the message content isn't clear either.  Not sure if the poster is trying to see who understand and gets the point or if it was difficult to make the message clear, I get that.

@rockygems123  The poster wants to make you open the thread, yes by teasing. It's pretty much clickbait, and very selfish of the OP of such a thread to waste other posters' time when they aren't the least bit interested in the thread.

@Sooner  NO one is going to stop doing this. Selfish people who seek attention are not going to change because you ask them to.

Respected Contributor

Anyone who has been successful with a teasing, baiting,  cryptic lure surely isn't going to change their posting style.

If they've captured responses and participants previously,  they'll continue.  Like proverbial moths to the flame.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lots of interesting perspectives on this thread. 

Over time I've come to realize and accept the wide variety of backgrounds and experiences of fellow posters. 

Not everyone has heard of "netiquette," nor does everyone have experience on other chat sites or older forums and boards. 

And, unfortunately, not everyone pays attention to, or abides by, the published terms of posting.

Many months ago, last year I think it was, I saw someone mentioning that they never read the guidelines and standards for the Q Community and didn't even care what they were/are. 

That was perplexing to me. 

How often do we see posts/threads decrying a lack of "manners," or "common courtesy"...  which, in my possibly-confused mind carries over to all parts of our life, including the way we interact on social media (including this forum)... so wouldn't it follow that we want to know the policies before we post on someone else's site? 

And then, wouldn't we want to stay within those limits?

Isn't that a part of common courtesy?

On a simple and practical note, I find it can be difficult to locate a previous thread when the title is vague, cryptic, enigmatic, so a more complete subject line is helpful.   

In that respect, for sure, a clear topic line is beneficial.

We can only do the best we can do; we can listen, ponder, and learn; and when we know better we can attempt to do better.

And we probably would do well to remember to own, and be responsible for, the energy we bring to this space... which is a reflection upon us, who we are, and how we move through the world. 

As a fellow imperfect traveller in this life, I admit to skrewing up a lot, falling flat on my face, having an all-too-frequently-red "oops, my mistake" face, and hoping not to do it as much in the future, so I appreciate knowing how others feel about these issues.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Regular Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

Lots of interesting perspectives on this thread. 

Over time I've come to realize and accept the wide variety of backgrounds and experiences of fellow posters. 

Not everyone has heard of "netiquette," nor does everyone have experience on other chat sites or older forums and boards. 

And, unfortunately, not everyone pays attention to, or abides by, the published terms of posting.

Many months ago, last year I think it was, I saw someone mentioning that they never read the guidelines and standards for the Q Community and didn't even care what they were/are. 

That was perplexing to me. 

How often do we see posts/threads decrying a lack of "manners," or "common courtesy"...  which, in my possibly-confused mind carries over to all parts of our life, including the way we interact on social media (including this forum)... so wouldn't it follow that we want to know the policies before we post on someone else's site? 

And then, wouldn't we want to stay within those limits?

Isn't that a part of common courtesy?

On a simple and practical note, I find it can be difficult to locate a previous thread when the title is vague, cryptic, enigmatic, so a more complete subject line is helpful.   

In that respect, for sure, a clear topic line is beneficial.

We can only do the best we can do; we can listen, ponder, and learn; and when we know better we can attempt to do better.

And we probably would do well to remember to own, and be responsible for, the energy we bring to this space... which is a reflection upon us, who we are, and how we move through the world. 

As a fellow imperfect traveller in this life, I admit to skrewing up a lot, falling flat on my face, having an all-too-frequently-red "oops, my mistake" face, and hoping not to do it as much in the future, so I appreciate knowing how others feel about these issues.😊

Well said. Adding one more note to this - all the posters screaming "Scroll on by if you don't like it" - I'd do that if the title line told me what it was about.

Respected Contributor

So funny that the commands and orders issued were the "pass on by-ers!"

The author of the thread made no such order or mandate.  Just a suggestion and request.

Oh, the amusing hypocrisy. 

Respected Contributor

I'll add by noting that 99.9% of the threads in TV and Movies are clearly labeled.  A very specific movie, show, singer, celebrity, film genre....

It can be done easily, without emotion. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that it can be done and hopefully some of us will be more aware when writing our thread titles (which for me happens about once every six months, lol) but I'm pretty sure not much will change with regard to the titles. 

I know this is important to the op since it was only a couple of weeks ago or so that she tried to implement a code system of some sort to make thread topics more clear. That went over like a lead balloon. 

Personally, I have no issue with cryptic titles and definitely can't relate to the theory that posters hope those titles will capture responses. In fact, if I were annoyed by a baiting title and clicked on it the last thing I would do is leave a response. 

As others have said, it takes a matter of seconds to click off a thread we have no interest in but since it seems like some of my fellow posters do care I'll be aware when naming my twice yearly thread. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@rockygems123 wrote:

@Sooner Agree that some titles are missing information and not lending enough info to know the content and intent of the message.  

Sometimes the message content isn't clear either.  Not sure if the poster is trying to see who understand and gets the point or if it was difficult to make the message clear, I get that.

@rockygems123  The poster wants to make you open the thread, yes by teasing. It's pretty much clickbait, and very selfish of the OP of such a thread to waste other posters' time when they aren't the least bit interested in the thread.

@Sooner  NO one is going to stop doing this. Selfish people who seek attention are not going to change because you ask them to.

@Pearlee You do have a point and yes, there are some people like that.  Some people just don't think about it either and think it's cute.  So maybe they will get it!  Woman Wink