Respected Contributor

Re: Please Don't Thank A Veteran On Memorial Day

I don't think it's a matter of offending someone by thanking them (I would think most would accept it graciously). It's more about honoring the true intent of the day. It's the one day set aside to honor those who have died in service. Maybe some feel that intent is being watered down?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Frequent Contributor

Thanking both of you for your service to our country!  God Bless!  

Honored Contributor

I just can't believe the bickering over this.

We all know (or should know) the meaning of Memorial Day.  And the same for Veterans Day.  Honor the men and women who sacrificed so much for our country.

What offends me is the use of either day to sell mattresses, furniture, bathing suits, hot dogs, cars, and beer.

Honored Contributor

I thank them everyday... alive or not..... not just because you decide who and when to thank someone. Unbeliveable!

Respected Contributor

Spoiler
Thank you
Esteemed Contributor

I wish I could thank my Korean vet brother. Although he didn't die in the war it was about 10 years later 1963. I will cherish his Purple Heart. I just wish I could of known him better for we lived in the same house he was 7 years older than me. My son was too young to remember him. My dad was in WW1 and gone too-1968

War is Hell!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Memorial Day is a day for remembering and thanking.  DH was a Marine in the Pacific Theater in WWII.  My Uncle served in France in WWI, while another Uncle was on Iwo Jima when the American flag was raised.  My former husband fought in Korea, where he had schrapnel blown into his lung.  The cousin who was raised like my brother served in Guam during WWII.  And many dear friends of his were lost in WWII. As a small child I attended many funerals and wept as Taps was played.

I am grateful to all of them, and all others who have served our beloved country, both those who lived and those who could not. And I will thank anyone I darn well please for their service - not just on Memorial Day, but every day I am blessed to wake up free.

Honored Contributor

You know, many vets have wounds that they live with for many years, but eventually kill them later in life or cause complications that kill them.  You really can't draw a line between living/dead/wounded/serving can you?  It is all sacrifice for all of us and is worthy of honor 365..

Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Memorial Day is a day for remembering and thanking.  DH was a Marine in the Pacific Theater in WWII.  My Uncle served in France in WWI, while another Uncle was on Iwo Jima when the American flag was raised.  My former husband fought in Korea, where he had schrapnel blown into his lung.  The cousin who was raised like my brother served in Guam during WWII.  And many dear friends of his were lost in WWII. As a small child I attended many funerals and wept as Taps was played.

I am grateful to all of them, and all others who have served our beloved country, both those who lived and those who could not. And I will thank anyone I darn well please for their service - not just on Memorial Day, but every day I am blessed to wake up free.

I totally agree, Perkup.  I work in healthcare and I call pts all day long with lab results, some of our clients are Police and Fire Departments throughout the country.  EVERY time I speak to a pt who is a cop/fire employee, I thank them for what they do every day, and I also thank their family.

My Dad was a Vet (Korea) and he appreciated EVERY thank you he ever received.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

@IMW

I saw what you did there...and LOLOLOLOLOLed!!  Clever.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~