Respected Contributor

Re: Please Don't Thank A Veteran On Memorial Day

Here's a thought:  If you want to thank anyone, consider the one who made the sacrifice of losing a loved one in service to our country.  Approach them, acknowledge their sacrifice and express your gratitude to them

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

What is sad, Americans and Consumers have turned it into a shopping day instead of a day of remembrance. 

We have turned EVERY holiday into a shopping day. And...everyone shops!

````````````````````````````````````````````````

not everyoneHeart

Trusted Contributor

As thanking a vet has been discussed, I would like to bring attention to those that say "Happy Memorial Day". Now THAT drives me crazy. At the coffee drive-up, at the store, getting gas, neighbors, just about anyone you pass says "Happy Memorial Day".

What part of "happy" and "memorial" belongs together? There is no "happy" in remembering those that sacrificed their lives, all the way back to the first wars of our country.

People lose focus on what the day is about. This is the only holiday that gets under my skin. Sales, shopping, barbeque's, opening up camps, getting the boats out, sure that needs to be done if you are so lucky to have that stuff.

But not "HAPPY Memorial Day". I might be a bit jaded by it all, but I buried my father on Memorial Day. He was a Marine. I buried him just 4 days after my son left for Marine boot camp. He deployed twice, aand may not be dead, but he is not the son that left. He was really affected in a bad way. So, this time of year will forever be hard.  I know I am not the only one that feels more sad than happy on this holiday.

Not to mention the actual date was changed years ago to make it a 3 day weekend. For years and years and years, we stood firm in the date. Now it is always a Monday, for the "convenience" of others.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanking and honoring our veterans is appropriate on Memorial Day.  Original, it was a day to honor the fallen but the sentiment has been expanded to include supporting veterans and servicemen and women.  Hence the parades and cookouts and trips to amusement parks.  It's a dsy of remembrance but also a day of appreciation and celebration.

Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely understand the meaning of Memorial Day, and have since I was a child.

However, I believe that I can thank a veteran who I happen to see that day without it taking away from remembering those who died serving our country.  It is never wrong to say a kind word.  And they are not mutually exclusive - It's perfectly possible to thank living veterans while still honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

If I see a veteran, I thank them.  Regardless of what day it is.  That doesn't mean I'm not aware of the signficance of Memorial Day, and it certainly doesn't mean that I'm not grateful to those who have died.  Memorial Day is in their honor, and we are supposed to think of them that day.  But that doesn't mean we can't do anything else.

Honored Contributor

Most of the men in our family graduated the Citiadel and became Air Force bomber pilots.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

I absolutely understand the meaning of Memorial Day, and have since I was a child.

However, I believe that I can thank a veteran who I happen to see that day without it taking away from remembering those who died serving our country.  It is never wrong to say a kind word.  And they are not mutually exclusive - It's perfectly possible to thank living veterans while still honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

If I see a veteran, I thank them.  Regardless of what day it is.  That doesn't mean I'm not aware of the signficance of Memorial Day, and it certainly doesn't mean that I'm not grateful to those who have died.  Memorial Day is in their honor, and we are supposed to think of them that day.  But that doesn't mean we can't do anything else.

Perfectly stated.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

double post...sorry.

Honored Contributor

DH is a war veteran and we do have our flags out to remember all who gave their lives.  He lost his share of friends on the battle field.   It seems op wanted people to know the difference between Veteran's Day and  Memorial Day and I see nothing wrong with that.  I didn't feel like she meant to put down those who honor all vets.....just wanted people to know the difference and probably could have worded it differently for a better outcome.

On the other side of that coin, there are veterans dying a little bit everyday...especially those who will end up dying from exposure to things  like Agent Orange...... so I have no problem with honoring these soldiers and others no matter what the day.   

Esteemed Contributor

Every day is a good day to thank our veterans.  Whenever a veteran or serviceman is near me, I always thank them for keeping us safe and serving their country.