Occasional Contributor

Re: Please Don't Thank A Veteran On Memorial Day

Thank you for your service. I think everyone who served our country should be remember and thanked everyday. What would our country be without these very brave men and women.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting that @MacDUFF. I'm sure that Gold Star families appreciate it as well.

Always feel free to honor those who serve(d) but Memorial Day is a most solemn day to remember and honor our fallen. warriors.
Honored Contributor

@circles wrote:

I thanked a Vet last Memorial Day...someone i know.....instead of saying nothing....(it was n an e-mail) or saying Thank You...he brought me up short by saying this is NOT a day for Thanking...but a Day for REemembering...

Good for him!  I'm glad he did that.  if everyone did, there wouldn't be so much confusion about the holiday and who it's intended to honor.

Respected Contributor

There seems to be quite a number of veterans here.  DH and I are.

Honored Contributor

@grammarqueen wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with thanking those who have served in the military anytime, including Memorial Day.

We vets (Air Force for me) are honored to step aside on this one day in order to salute our fallen brothers and sisters. 

Only those in my family and those very close to me know I served in the United States Army. I don't understand why anyone that has served their country should "step aside" on this day. I have never and will never feel as though I am "blocking" the gratitude to those that made the ultimate sacrifice for everyone to enjoy our freedom.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

You're not blocking gratitude.

But Memorial Day is THE day we honor our fallen, those who died in service or from their injuries defending our country.
Esteemed Contributor

@grammarqueen wrote:

This day is set aside for those who made the ultimate sacrifice - their lives - in service to their country.

Your Take is VERY Bizarre.  So, someone had to have died?  How about those who came back maimed or worse?  Whenever I am able, I thank a vet who has served and served honorably.  I am sure other vets support and acknowledge others who have served along side of them and don't discriminate whether they died or didn't. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

I don't see why we can't do both: remember the fallen and thank a veteran.

Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@grammarqueen wrote:

This day is set aside for those who made the ultimate sacrifice - their lives - in service to their country.

Your Take is VERY Bizarre.  So, someone had to have died?  How about those who came back maimed or worse?  Whenever I am able, I thank a vet who has served and served honorably.  I am sure other vets support and acknowledge others who have served along side of them and don't discriminate whether they died or didn't. 

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Not bizarre at all @Puzzle Piece.

Active military and veterans KNOW the meaning of the day better than anyone.

It's a day to remember the dead not the living, thus the term Memorial.

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan Well stated.