Honored Contributor

Re: Please Don't Thank A Veteran On Memorial Day

[ Edited ]

Talk about offensive!!  If you haven't served, if you haven't watched a friend or loved one struggle after they come home, you don't know anything about what it means to a soldier to be thanked or just to shake hands.  

Your right to be self-righteous, holier than thou, is something they fought for so thank a soldier every time you see one.

Respected Contributor

I have read all the comments in this thread and am dismayed by the number of us who seized on the perceived opportunity to feel provoked and indignant. I see no offense whatsoever in what I presume to be the original intent of this thread.

You may be old enough to remember the day was first called Decoration Day, and was the one day out of three hundred sixty-five set aside to decorate the graves of soldiers. We used to wear red poppies on that day as a symbol of remembrance. As it was then, it remains a day to remember the supreme sacrifice made for us. To date, more than a million souls have gone in effort to serve and protect our freedoms. The name of the day has changed, but the intention has not. This is a solemn observance, one day out of three hundred sixty-five set aside for remembering.

Of course it is never wrong to thank a Service Member for their service. My interpretation of the basis of this thread was not to scold, offend or challenge anyone. We were merely being reminded of the true meaning of the day. What could possibly be wrong with that?

Please set aside your indignation, even if just for this one day out of three hundred sixty-five.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I have read all the comments in this thread and am dismayed by the number of us who seized on the perceived opportunity to feel provoked and indignant. I see no offense whatsoever in what I presume to be the original intent of this thread.

You may be old enough to remember the day was first called Decoration Day, and was the one day out of three hundred sixty-five set aside to decorate the graves of soldiers. We used to wear red poppies on that day as a symbol of remembrance. As it was then, it remains a day to remember the supreme sacrifice made for us. To date, more than a million souls have gone in effort to serve and protect our freedoms. The name of the day has changed, but the intention has not. This is a solemn observance, one day out of three hundred sixty-five set aside for remembering.

Of course it is never wrong to thank a Service Member for their service. My interpretation of the basis of this thread was not to scold, offend or challenge anyone. We were merely being reminded of the true meaning of the day. What could possibly be wrong with that?

Please set aside your indignation, even if just for this one day out of three hundred sixty-five.  

The problem is that ALL soldiers give their ALL.   Yes, of course, we need to remember those who gave their lives but why intentionally disregard those who are maimed, disabled, suffer PTSD, and are currently in the service?   It seems a little high-and-mighty from those who don't understand the countless sacrifices made by soldiers and their families every moment of every day.

Respected Contributor

Too late--I've already thanked two this weekend. 

Honored Contributor

Wow, what an incredibly POWERFUL monument.  Thank you so much, @JDJ555 , for posting it.

Bless the family and loved ones of those who didn't make it.

Respected Contributor

Thanks you for what you said...it's heartbreaking...so many soldiers trying to rebuild and restore their lives.  I keep them and their families in my prayers always with faith that they will be healed from the pain they feel physically, mentally and emotionally.  I pray for their health, happiness and peace always...

Respected Contributor

CalmInTheHeart wrote:  The problem is that ALL soldiers give their ALL.   Yes, of course, we need to remember those who gave their lives but why intentionally disregard those who are maimed, disabled, suffer PTSD, and are currently in the service?   It seems a little high-and-mighty from those who don't understand the countless sacrifices made by soldiers and their families every moment of every day.

@CalminHeart  You are correct about all Soldiers (Airmen, Sailors and Marines, too) giving their all. That is indisputable in my book; however, no one remotely suggested intentionally disregarding any one of them. Rather, the point of Memorial Day is to intentionally not forget those who have gone.  The immediacy of death in connection to the battlefield should in no way be contingent to the observance.  

The lack of care and/or the quality thereof given wounded men and women after their years of service is certainly fodder for another topic. I am glad to see light being shone lately in that regard.  I suspect we can agree there is a lot of darkness and shame there that needs to be brought front and center for all Americans to see and understand.  The problem is overwhelming.

Your posts show pain and (some) anger, and I empathize with you as a mother and sincerely thank your son for his service.  It is apparent you and yours have been through hell and back in the name of duty. Nevertheless, you may want to reconsider assuming what suffering and sacrifice anyone else endures or understands. 

My DH bought a new American flag today to replace the faded one that has been flying on our house for the past year.  (In fact, we've displayed a flag daily since Sept. 11, 2001.)  I promise as I look at it this holiday, I will think of your son and say a heartfelt Thank You to and for him.     --Mrs. G.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

I saw this on someone's blog today:  I hope your Memorial Day is memorable, reflective, and grateful. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

There are numerous ways to remind people of the true meaning of the day.  The OP's approach was heavy-handed.  I also don't think that most of us need to be reminded.  As I posted upthread, I have been well aware of the meaning of Memorial Day since I was a child.  It's pretty obvious - Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.  Most of us, with all due respect, are intelligent enough to understand those words and what they mean.

And she certainly did seem to be scolding.  It's absolutely possible to remember with gratitude those who gave their lives for this country while also saying something nice to a veteran.  She clearly doesn't think so, and is in fact telling us what to do and what not to do.  That very clearly was the original intent of this thread. 

It takes nothing away from remembering someone if you also express gratitude to someone else.  So I will certainly hang my flag outside and say a prayer for those who gave their lives.  But if I happen to see a veteran - whether or not the OP likes it - I will absolutely express my gratitude.  I wish I had the opportunity to have thanked those who have passed away, and IMO there is never anything wrong with saying thank you to anyone.  Ever.

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

CalmInTheHeart wrote:  The problem is that ALL soldiers give their ALL.   Yes, of course, we need to remember those who gave their lives but why intentionally disregard those who are maimed, disabled, suffer PTSD, and are currently in the service?   It seems a little high-and-mighty from those who don't understand the countless sacrifices made by soldiers and their families every moment of every day.

@CalminHeart  You are correct about all Soldiers (Airmen, Sailors and Marines, too) giving their all. That is indisputable in my book; however, no one remotely suggested intentionally disregarding any one of them. Rather, the point of Memorial Day is to intentionally not forget those who have gone.  The immediacy of death in connection to the battlefield should in no way be contingent to the observance.  

The lack of care and/or the quality thereof given wounded men and women after their years of service is certainly fodder for another topic. I am glad to see light being shone lately in that regard.  I suspect we can agree there is a lot of darkness and shame there that needs to be brought front and center for all Americans to see and understand.  The problem is overwhelming.

Your posts show pain and (some) anger, and I empathize with you as a mother and sincerely thank your son for his service.  It is apparent you and yours have been through hell and back in the name of duty. Nevertheless, you may want to reconsider assuming what suffering and sacrifice anyone else endures or understands. 

My DH bought a new American flag today to replace the faded one that has been flying on our house for the past year.  (In fact, we've displayed a flag daily since Sept. 11, 2001.)  I promise as I look at it this holiday, I will think of your son and say a heartfelt Thank You to and for him.     --Mrs. G.

Someone did very definitely suggest "intentionally disregarding" veterans on Memorial Day. The OP was very clear about that.  The title she chose for this thread says it all.