Honored Contributor

Re: Please Check on your Elderly Family and Friends

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/77347438-story

The wife was 86 yrs old, her husband is 74.  Local tv reported the couple was like 20 yards apart..  We saw the husband last night in his scooter..  Very sad story.  That's too bad he couldn't have scooted or crawled over to her.. Prayers with them all. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

This makes me sad......my heart hurts.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

For those in the northeast portion of the country, this advice is even more critical due to the coming storm and potential loss of power.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Re: Check on your Elderly Family and Friends

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

This story hurts my heart. It probably didn't take her long to succumb to the cold. One of those medical alert necklaces might have saved her life if either she or her husband had one on. Tragic.

ITA with all points, Mags.

Or do as I do, and have a charged working cell phone on you at all times.

I have chronic health conditions, live solo, and you just never know.

When I'm home, I always wear a hip/fanny pack with my cell and cordless phones in it.

Even when I take a shower, I leave it in the bathroom close by.

When I'm out, my cell phone is always on me somehow or in my purse.

This way, you can help others as well.  8)

I even have a 'backup' cell for my cell, LOL, just in case.

"There but for" go any  one of us.

P.S.:  

If you know anyone under 80 with daily health challenges, please stay in contact with them as well.

Thanks.

I just want to add a reminder that a charged cell phone will be able to call 911 without the need for a service provider

If you don't know what to do with your old cell phone perhaps there is someone you know that could benefit by being able to call 911 in an emergency but does not want or cannot afford cell service.

Excellent points, Marp, and one I'm extremely thankful for.

That's why I started wearing/bringing my phones.

Yep, there are many who can't afford prepaid or contract cell service, (even the phones themselves), or just don't wish to have it.

I already had cell service and a working phone, and couldn't afford to add some type of lifeline service that would just call 911 anyway.

If you do have Tracfone or another cell service, you can also call close family, friends, neighbors, or others who you're in contact with for assistance.

If you don't need your old cell phone, you can donate them to your local firehouse and/or police station as well.

They can be re-programmed and then given to women's shelters for victims of domestic abuse.

Esteemed Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

My wife calls her 90 year old mother every day at least once. We both really care for her and try our best to make sure is doing ok, and safe.

hckynut(john)

Sadly, @hckynutjohn, your MIL would not have lived in this case to answer the phone.

@MaggieMack,

I have no clue what  "in this case" has to do with my post.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn, "in this case" was referring back to the OP, the elderly gentleman went outside in his wheelchair, got stuck, his elderly wife in a walker followed to help. They were outside and couldn't get to a phone if it rang. Similarly, if your MIL stepped outside and fell, she would be in great trouble unless someone found her. You would call, there would be no answer, and if you checked on her right away, it might be hours too late. HTH!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

@MaggieMack,

Hi to you MM. Like many of my posts, it was based only on the thread title.   Are you saying the lady could move with her walker, so they were stuck? My mother-in-law uses a walker temporarily after a recent fall tripping over a curb, but is getting there.

We have also told her to carry her (turned on) cell phone whenever she goes outside of her apartment building. So far she has kept to her promise. Living in an apartment complex for 55+ tenants helps also. Not much else we can for her, but we are less than a 5 minute drive to her apartments.

She lives less than 3 blocks from my 2nd home's ER, so that is another plus for her. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

That is so sad! And it is a good reminder!.

(I dont have any elderly friends or elderly relatives anymore, but I appreciate your post).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Like many of my posts, it was based only on the thread title.  

hckynut(john)

You could, I suppose, read the OP while you're at it.

Esteemed Contributor

I responded to a post here earlier about the elderly person I check on everyday or have her call me.  Last night she complained about being so tired she didn,t feel like living.  She will not call her DR. DOESN,t like her, but I Suspect not all her Dr,s fault knowing the stubbornness of this lady and dementia setting in.  I said I know of a very good DR. She could call, one I suggested last year.  She asked me to call for her, she was too tired.  This morning I did to see if APPT. Could be made.  The office said she needs to check to see if her INS. covers that office.

I called her back and she couldn't,t talk to me, she was eating breakfast and had to go to balance class. I said breakfast can wait  a few min.  Call your ins. Then call the DR,S office.  He has a 4.5 rating .  I cannot answer the personal info.You need to give them.  It,s early enough before your balance class to do this. She sounded fine this morning.  It might be the dementia or this lady, in the four years I,'ve known her, does not think of other people.  I need to check everyday, but she has to quit complaining and also help herself. As I mentioned earlier, she called her daughter in another state two weeks ago and didn,t get a return call until a couple of nights ago. I can,t do anymore, just check up on her each day.