Esteemed Contributor

Please Check on your Elderly Family and Friends

[ Edited ]

EATONTON, Ga. — Authorities say a 74-year-old woman froze to death after she tried to help her wheelchair-bound husband outside their Eatonton home.

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said Maria Riffe died last Thursday while her immobile husband lay about 20 yards from her, unable to help each other.

Eighty-six-year-old Roy Riffe was in a motorized wheelchair going down the concrete walkway at their home when he ran off of the walkway and fell out of the wheelchair.

Sills says Maria Riffe, who relied on a walker, fell while trying to help her husband, leaving them helpless.

Investigators say Roy Riffe was likely able to survive the night because he was wearing a jacket and fleece pants. His wife was wearing only a dress.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Check on your Elderly Family and Friends

This story hurts my heart. It probably didn't take her long to succumb to the cold. One of those medical alert necklaces might have saved her life if either she or her husband had one on. Tragic.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Why were two people one of which was in a wheelchair and the other using a walker alone in the first place? It really sounds like they should have had a round the clock live in or been in assisted living. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

This is such a sad tale, but you have to WEAR the life alert necklace. My mother who is 94, lives alone, and refuses to wear a life alert necklace even though we would be happy to pay any and all bills for it.

When I cant reach her I am terrified. She simply wont listen to anyone about this, even her MD.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please Check on your Elderly Family and Friends

Heartbreaking story.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

My wife calls her 90 year old mother every day at least once. We both really care for her and try our best to make sure is doing ok, and safe.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@JAXS Mom wrote:

Why were two people one of which was in a wheelchair and the other using a walker alone in the first place? It really sounds like they should have had a round the clock live in or been in assisted living. 

Well, that's an easy to answer question.  Because they probably could not afford it.  Medicare and other health insurance does not cover custodial care or assisted living.

You must be well off or have long term care coverage which is expensive.  I have a second cousin who pays for help in her home for dressing, light meals and general help because she can't get around anymore.  She is in her 80's.  I almost fell over when she told me what  she pays for these services.  It's more than 200,000 a year.

I told her I'd do it fir half that price.  I wish she lived closer to me.  I'd help her at no cost to her.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

My wife calls her 90 year old mother every day at least once. We both really care for her and try our best to make sure is doing ok, and safe.

hckynut(john)

Sadly, @hckynutjohn, your MIL would not have lived in this case to answer the phone.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@JAXS Mom wrote:

Well, that's an easy to answer question.  Because they probably could not afford it.  Medicare and other health insurance does not cover custodial care or assisted living.

You must be well off or have long term care coverage which is expensive.  I have a second cousin who pays for help in her home for dressing, light meals and general help because she can't get around anymore.  She is in her 80's.  I almost fell over when she told me what  she pays for these services.  It's more than 200,000 a year.

I told her I'd do it fir half that price.  I wish she lived closer to me.  I'd help her at no cost to her.

@Carmie, holey moley, where does she live? That sounds outrageous. When my dad was in assisted living, it was $3,500 a month, and $5,000 when we moved him to the nursing home. Granted, we are in the Midwest where prices are lower, but who could afford $200K a year???

Honored Contributor

that is so sad.