Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please Check on your Elderly Family and Friends

@Mj12 wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Like many of my posts, it was based only on the thread title.  

hckynut(john)

You could, I suppose, read the OP while you're at it.

Why didn't I think of that? 

Because I wanted to just breeze by and reply to the question posed in the title of this thread, and mention how my wife and I look out for her mother.

Sorry, that is what I do now and then, and that it doesn't meet your standards.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Like many of my posts, it was based only on the thread title.  

hckynut(john)

You could, I suppose, read the OP while you're at it.

Why didn't I think of that? 

Because I wanted to just breeze by and reply to the question posed in the title of this thread, and mention how my wife and I look out for her mother.

Sorry, that is what I do now and then, and that it doesn't meet your standards.

hckynut(john)

Thanks John, you have put my mind at ease.  With increasing frequency I find that your answers are non-responsive to the thread, sometimes to the point that I became concerned about your health.   Knowing that you sometimes (often?) don't even read the OP, let alone at least a few responses, explains why this happens.  Now I will just accept it is you shortcutting and I don't have to be concerned.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

My DH shoveled our elderly neighbor's drive and walk earlier today. He saw her out there trying to do it and was afraid she would collapse or have a heart attack. I married a good guy! 

Honored Contributor

My BIL called to check on us this afternoon, I didn't even think to call him because even though he and his brother are in their 70's they are in such good shape. My husband who is 73 was up early this morning moving snow around and digging his truck out so he could go to the post office and get to the mart for the daily newspaper.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Check on your Elderly Family and Friends

Yes!   So important.  The elderly are forgotten and the most affected.  

I worry so about people who are alone and need assistance.

Thanks for the great and meaningful post!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is so sad.  When I was younger I always checked in on all elderly neighbors, especially if I was going to the grocery stores - I'd also shovel a path to their doors so any emergency vehicles could get to them.  Cycle of life - I moved very rural years ago and out here, all neighbors look out for each other.  I'm soon to be 61 and now I'm the "older neighbor".   Whenever there is a large storm the young guy next door calls to make sure I'm okay and in huge storms like this, he always plows out my drive. 

This storm I decided I did not want to attempt being alone with a 2-3 ft expectation of snow so packed up to go to my sister's home.  Before leaving I made sure he knew I would be gone bc I did not want him calling and if I'm not here come trudging thru 2-3ft of snow trying to determine if I was home and ok.  He thanked me for letting him know I'd be gone and later I got a text from him telling me we had not lost power and that he'd plowed my drive (it's pretty long).   This storm made me more aware of my limitations so I'm looking to move to a one level home again in an over 55 community.  The one I'm looking at does all yard work in the individual homes as well as common areas and remove snow at the end of the driveway when the plows make that wall of ice down at the apron of the drive.