Occasional Contributor

Hi Ladies;

My 1.5yr old American staffy has enjoyed playing in her yard since last Summer with 1 or 2 friends at a time. It has always been fun for her and the other dogs...never a squabble...only somewhat unbridled enthusiasm at times. Everyone in the neighborhood enjoyed their antics.

Until yesterday....Instead of doing chasing and playing tug with toys, her male labby and female staffy took advantage of my girl, and kept picking on her....1 biting at her cheeks the other, nipping at her as well. After trying to redirect the energy and encourage more toy playtime....we took out the female and sent her home.

We chaulked this up to them all having "cabin feaver" after being cooped up with all the rainy days. We also blamed the pushy staffy and considered her hyper personality to be the problem, as my girl and her labby always played so well together.

Tonight, she welcomed her labby pal into her yard...all seemed normal for the first 15-20 min, but i did notice that while he kept "picking" at her, she was spent and was trying to hide from him.... but he was persistant and finally, she jumped the fence to get away from him. Thankfully, my neighbor stopped a car that was passing at the same time, so i am very lucky she was not harmed. Only the week before, my neighbor's dog got hit by a car and luckily, survived but is recuperating fro surgery.

I feel sad that she is not enjoying herself with her friend, but hope in time, she will resume her playfulness with him, and not let him take advantage of her. Perhaps, i need to curb the playtime 10-15 min only....just don't know what she is thinking..she was never submissive before..

thanks for listening..

Rocky

Rocky