Honored Contributor

Re: Plastic sleeve specially sized for new medicare cards.

@Allegheny

looks like you all have to go through a lot to get the new STAR ID/REAL ID.

luckily, in maryland, it was no problem at all if you already had a md drivers license, with no additional documentation needed.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny, duh me, having a senior moment and a bad day, Yes Medicare card!

@proudlyfromNJ, Yes I knew that, I thought it was going to be something different than another paper card!

Honored Contributor

Just because someone has an advantage plan instead of traditional medicare doesn't mean you don't get a medicare card, or that you don't desire to keep your medicare card in nice condition just like everyone else. SHEESH.

When we are in Pittsburgh we use our medicare cards to ride the bus for free.

Esteemed Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Allegheny

@Allegheny wrote:

I laminated mine and also trimmed it to fit in my wallet.  I have had no problems yet, but will deal with it if and when I do.  

My opinion is that they should have sent out a standard wallet-sized coated card in the first place, not a flimsy piece of paper.

I finally got my new Medicare card in the mail today, and I thought it was going to be something special, it's the same paper card, just with a new number on it   ........   what was the big deal, LOL!!!

@HootyThe new number IS the big deal.  Now we won't be flashing our Soc. Sec. # every time we have to show our Medicare card or write our Medicare number.  It's about time!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Allegheny

looks like you all have to go through a lot to get the new STAR ID/REAL ID.

luckily, in maryland, it was no problem at all if you already had a md drivers license, with no additional documentation needed.

Here in Florida you really have to jump through hoops. Birth certificate, - only the original with the seal on it, SS card ,former state driver's license, proof of new address- 2 papers( we had just bought a house and at the closing the title agent told us which 2 forms to take to get our DL) And if your a married lady - marriage certificate. If you have more than one name change you must bring in the proof of the reason - I needed first marriage certificate, first husband's death certificare, second marriage certificate. My friend who was divorced 5 times had to bring in 5 marriage certificates and 5 divorce certificates.To say the least - that must have been challenging.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

Somewhat off topic but does relate to lamination.  If I want to apply for a REAL ID in my state, one of the documents I have to present is my social security card.

"You must present your social security card when applying for a REAL ID. Your card must be original, and it cannot be laminated."

I laminated mine 25 years ago, so in this situation by doing so it has come back to bite me.  I mean who knew 25 years ago not to do so.  So I requested a replacement.  

@Allegheny  I've had a Social Security card for over 60+ years. According to Social Security, bankers and attorneys over the years a Social Security card should never be carried as ID, but kept in a secure place. Mine has been kept in a safe deposit box at various banks over the decades. It has never seen the light of day; nor has anyone ever asked for it as a form of identification for a passport, driver's license or anything else. 

Perhaps you are confusing your Social Security card with your Medicare card in your above post? I do carry my Medicare card with me, which is laminated and has never presented any problems.

My paperwork did not include any suggestions about not laminating it.  I have Medicare and a Supplement policy. The OP does not carry the same type of insurance that I have selected. I have no idea where the OP is getting her information nor does the lamination info. pertain to those of us with Medicare and Supplements. It simply does not matter if our cards are laminated.

My mother has had Medicare and a Supplement plan for years.  She had heard that Medicare cards should not be laminated, so I called Medicare to confirm, and was told  that is correct.  I called again more recently when she received her new card, and was told the same thing.  Medicare advises that the cards NOT be laminated.  They were very clear about that both times I called.   It doesn't matter if you have Advantage or a Supplement or simply just Medicare.  The lamination info pertains to everyone.

I'm sure lots of people do laminate their cards, and I doubt anyone will go to jail for doing so.  But the OP probably got her info from Medicare, and she is correct.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Allegheny

@Allegheny wrote:

I laminated mine and also trimmed it to fit in my wallet.  I have had no problems yet, but will deal with it if and when I do.  

My opinion is that they should have sent out a standard wallet-sized coated card in the first place, not a flimsy piece of paper.

I finally got my new Medicare card in the mail today, and I thought it was going to be something special, it's the same paper card, just with a new number on it   ........   what was the big deal, LOL!!!

The big deal is that you no longer have to carry your social security number around with you.  IMO that's a very big deal.  It was a change that was long overdue.

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Hooty wrote:

@Allegheny

@Allegheny wrote:

@HootyThe new number IS the big deal.  Now we won't be flashing our Soc. Sec. # every time we have to show our Medicare card or write our Medicare number.  It's about time!

except that for many, the cat is already out of the bag.

doctors, hospitals, labs, etc.....already have your information in their systems.

but better late than never.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Hooty wrote:

@Allegheny

@Allegheny wrote:

except that for many, the cat is already out of the bag.

doctors, hospitals, labs, etc.....already have your information in their systems.

but better late than never.

Yes, but now a random guy on the street won't be able to get it.  Losing a wallet or having one stolen can be a nightmare, but it's much worse if a social security number is right there in full view of whoever took it or found it.

It's always puzzled me how we've been told since we were young to guard our social security number, not carry our social security card around, etc - and then they put the number on Medicare cards, which often do need to be carried around.  I have no idea who thought that was a good idea - or why it took so long to figure out that it was a bad one!

Honored Contributor

I agree that most doctor's offices, labs, etc. already have our SS# in their files and employees or those that are now former employees would have had access to that information along with our name, address, etc.  Good that it is changed now though.