Honored Contributor

Re: Plastic sleeve specially sized for new medicare cards.

Just did a simple google search.  They warn against laminating it as “it may have built in security features that may be compromised by laminating”. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I just read all the info that came with my card. It doesn't say anything about laminating at all.

Honored Contributor

The Social Security department advises against card lamination in general because the card may have built-in security features that could be compromised by lamination. As an alternative, for a few dollars at your local business supply store, you can purchase a plastic ID card holder to protect your Medicare card. The card will be safe, and security features will not be compromised.

medicare.com

They just “advise” against lamination. 

Honored Contributor

Yet that was not included with the card.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh  Thanks for the info.  I just went to Amazon and ordered them.

Honored Contributor

Imagine that...a free sleeve for a Traditional Medicare Card for a person who has Advantage Medicare and uses a Different Card for health insurance.

Yep, that Medicare card will be sure used a lot....not!  At least it won't collect dust.

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@D Kay @deepwaterdotter  I don't believe that comment. Have seen it before; didn't believe it then either. 

this from the medi-care folks.

The Social Security department advises against card lamination in general because the card may have built-in security features that could be compromised by lamination. As an alternative, for a few dollars at your local business supply store, you can purchase a plastic ID card holder to protect your Medicare card.Jul 6, 2018  medicaredotcom
Respected Contributor

Somewhat off topic but does relate to lamination.  If I want to apply for a REAL ID in my state, one of the documents I have to present is my social security card.

"You must present your social security card when applying for a REAL ID. Your card must be original, and it cannot be laminated."

I laminated mine 25 years ago, so in this situation by doing so it has come back to bite me.  I mean who knew 25 years ago not to do so.  So I requested a replacement.  

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny

for some reason i thought you were in maryland?

i got my REAL ID drivers license last  year and all i needed was  my old drivers license....no other documents were necessary.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Somewhat off topic but does relate to lamination.  If I want to apply for a REAL ID in my state, one of the documents I have to present is my social security card.

"You must present your social security card when applying for a REAL ID. Your card must be original, and it cannot be laminated."

I laminated mine 25 years ago, so in this situation by doing so it has come back to bite me.  I mean who knew 25 years ago not to do so.  So I requested a replacement.  

@Allegheny  I've had a Social Security card for over 60+ years. According to Social Security, bankers and attorneys over the years a Social Security card should never be carried as ID, but kept in a secure place. Mine has been kept in a safe deposit box at various banks over the decades. It has never seen the light of day; nor has anyone ever asked for it as a form of identification for a passport, driver's license or anything else. 

Perhaps you are confusing your Social Security card with your Medicare card in your above post? I do carry my Medicare card with me, which is laminated and has never presented any problems.

My paperwork did not include any suggestions about not laminating it.  I have Medicare and a Supplement policy. The OP does not carry the same type of insurance that I have selected. I have no idea where the OP is getting her information nor does the lamination info. pertain to those of us with Medicare and Supplements. It simply does not matter if our cards are laminated.

Money screams; wealth whispers.