Honored Contributor

Plastic sleeve specially sized for new medicare cards.

DH brought 2 home from the lab this morning when he had blood work done. Our doctor's group (and the lab) are handing out these clear plastic sleeves because they don't want you to get them laminated. Apparently, laminating them makes the machine where they scan them misfunction. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Plastic sleeve specially sized for new medicare cards.

@151949 wrote:

DH brought 2 home from the lab this morning when he had blood work done. Our doctor's group (and the lab) are handing out these clear plastic sleeves because they don't want you to get them laminated. Apparently, laminating them makes the machine where they scan them misfunction. 

Thanks for the information. My card is effective next month and I really wanted to laminate it. DH is the following month.

Trusted Contributor

Good idea!  I will check into that!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I got my card several months ago and the first thing I did was to laminate.  Did the same for a couple of my friends when they got theirs.  No complaints from our doctors offices.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I got my card several months ago and the first thing I did was to laminate.  Did the same for a couple of my friends when they got theirs.  No complaints from our doctors offices.

It said right in the literature that came with the card NOT to laminate them.

Honored Contributor

Oh boy.

Honored Contributor

@151949- thanks for posting this.  I just went on Amazon and found them and ordered them. Comes in a pack of 5. One for my husband and I’ll give the other four to friends. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

My card is laminated and I've had no problems at any Dr. office who 'scanned' them, (not copied them).

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Isn't it funny how one change (new cards) opens the door for a brand new product (plastic sleeves).  The sleeve people are very smart . . .

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I laminated mine and also trimmed it to fit in my wallet.  I have had no problems yet, but will deal with it if and when I do.  

My opinion is that they should have sent out a standard wallet-sized coated card in the first place, not a flimsy piece of paper.