Honored Contributor

@happycat,

What you’re thinking now is how I think ALL the time.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Planning ahead

[ Edited ]

@happycat 

Yes, I’m not going into stores to shop and won’t any time soon, but, before I order online, I go through and check to see what I might need in the near future. I ordered a large shampoo instead of the regular size I normally use that is 1/3 the size.

If I could, at this point, I’d stock up on things but everything I would buy a larger amount of has a limit of 1 or 2. I understand why but it is annoying because if you run out of food, getting enough for one or two meals isn’t going to work very well.

If you can only get toilet paper by going into a store (none available on Amazon when I have looked), I will be doing without when I run out of what I have. And I would much rather do without than go into any grocery store or WalMart right now. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm trying to keep enough on hand that if it gets really bad in my area, I can stay in for even a month.  I'm working from home, so I really only need to grocery shop.  Right now as long as I'm careful, I feel like I can grocery shop.  It's supposed to get worse here, though.  

Honored Contributor

To some extent I've always planned ahead.  When there's a good sale, I buy extra of things that don't expire.  For food, it depends how often it's used and shelf life.  Now I only need to buy fresh foods.  If I couldn't get them, I'd be fine.

Honored Contributor

Paper products are my only area of significant concern. We've been fine, but it's at the point where I would normally get more, and not being sure about availability is making me antsy. I've been assuming supply would catch up and there would be plenty to buy. That's what we were told at first. I don't understand how there are still so many issues.

If there were disposable alternatives, I would try them. But I'm just not hooking up a bidet or showering several times a day. Just not. Not when there should be some dang Charmin Ultra Soft at the store by now. (Okay. Little ranty flounce about toilet paper over now....I will get over myself.)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain :  I understand your anxiety re: t.p. shortage (I feel the same way).  My family's backup would be to use Kleenex but never flush (a small trashcan next to toilet would work).  I ordered a case yesterday from an online source recommended by another poster (it should arrive on Monday).

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz  .....  I have never tried Pink Himalayan Salt. Been thinking of buying some. Can you describe how it taste?

Honored Contributor

We're good for a month, but I'm making a large shopping list for once this is over. Right after the New Year, I used an Amazon gift card to buy a bucket of laundry pods, toweling and toilet paper. Our pantry has enough food for a couple of weeks, and I have Schwans home delivery for some special meals (steak, salmon).

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

Us too.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

We've been doing ok, but was beyond happy when logging into Walmart pickup after midnight this morning.  Had pickups all day Sunday, and more protein choices than I've seen recently anywhere here.  (We shall see tomorrow what comes through....Woman Wink)

We tend to buy TP & PT & FT ahead, but still keeping my eyes out.  Cleaning supplies?  I'm one of those loons that buy the latest//greatest (like it's going to "inspire" me to clean) .  Some probably expired, but better than nothing.

SO glad I ignored DH a couple weeks back re: unused Shamwows in laundry room cupboard.  He said to throw them out.

Did notice lack of bread, no bread flour or yeast, so broke down & ordered bread machine mixes online from Prepared Pantry.

We shall see...

Denise