Esteemed Contributor

Are any of you trying to think of things you may need a month or so from now? 

I have been trying to, hopefully things will be much better. In case they aren't I did order stuff to make my own laundry detergent. I have plenty of food. Paper towels will last a while, as well as toilet paper. 

I have always just run to the store when I need something, thats out the door now. I order online and try to go once a week. 

DH said I need to get more rice and beans, salt, flour just in case. 

Is anyone stocking up on anything?

The reason I am concerned is because there is still no toilet paper here. Beef is hit or miss. No chlorox wipes, lyson, other cleaning supplies are limited. I ordered some more bleach and amonia. I do know not to use them together. 

Wishing dh wasn't working so much, so we could make a garden. That tiller is more than I can handle. 

Honored Contributor

Right now the only things I would really like is to have an unopened container of wipes, an unopened hand sanitizer and a full can of Lysol under the kitchen sink, but what are you gonna do.

Otherwise we're okay with food and paper products.

Honored Contributor

Re: Planning ahead

[ Edited ]

Paper goods just can't be found here locally unless I guess you're willing to stalk the markets super early, and even then, I'm not so sure.

So instead I stalk Amazon for TP and PT. That's what I want to stock up on. But you literally have check it every few minutes. And when a decent one pops up as available, no dawdling allowed.

Everything else we need and want can be found locally -- not by delivery necessarily but by biting the bullet and going to the market. I'm trying to go just once a week and may try even every other week.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been thinking ahead.  

Our freezer is full & so is our pantry.  

I stocked up on all the essentials we use daily like hand wash, bar soap, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant.

I have baking supplies. I also placed an order with King Arthur since flour is on backorder plus you can only buy 2 of each type flour. I ordered 2 10 lb ap flour & 2 bread flour plus 1 all wheat white. We will have enough til it gets here.

I already replaced all our spices plus bought 3 lbs pink Himalayan salt.

Stocked up on all my supplements.

Bought large jars of honey, pure maple syrup, oatmeal, cereals, beans, rice etc.

I think we are good on most things for quite a while. I started stocking in Feb. I knew this was going to happen. Glad I don't have to stand in line to get in the store.

I say buy what you need & what you will use. Don't buy stuff you won't use.

They don't have much cleaning supplies either. DH did bring home 4 gallons of bleach.

Trusted Contributor

Same situation here with any type of cleaning, sanitizing or paper products available.

Thank goodness DH has big blue paper shop towels that I will cut up and use for paper towels.

My bleach is no longer for my laundry.

Four teaspoons mixed with one quart of water cleans my desk at work.

We have plenty of food, but will run out of salad fixings soon; my lunch staple.

No problem, I'll just have something else.

I'm thankful I have what I do.

Super Contributor

I have been considering stocking up more.  However I'm guessing many others have the same idea.  I tried to buy dried beans, flour, rice and a few things such as that earlier this week and none to be had.  They keep saying the food supply chain will be fine, but I have doubts about that.   Even when we're on the down side of the curve we'll still be in danger of picking up the virus for some time to come.  I have family who refuse to accept the dangers of this virus which is extremely frustrating for me.  My DH for starters!! He has almost all of the health issues they say put people at risk.  SO, what does he do today?  Goes for a drive and into the Fred Meyers store just to see if people were wearing masks!  First time he's been out of the house in two weeks, unbelieveable!!  No mask nothing, crazy.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chicagosuburbangirl  I was just reading an article from Business Insider online on how blue shop towels make a superior face mask! 😷 if you're interested, just Google it.

Honored Contributor

I've ALWAYS stocked up (not hoarded) and planned way in advance. In the last month I've picked up 2 packs of t.p. from Costco and a few other things.

I've got about 7 cases of water I've bought over the last 6 months. Lots of kleenex and paper towels.

I have 3 months or more of all my meds and supplements.

Have been picking up canned goods the last 2 months. Good to go.

I picked up a few things at Safeway today but did my big shopping two weeks ago. Got a full tank of gas.

Honored Contributor

I was able to order 2 six packs of toilet paper today from Amazon, for delivery on April 23rd.  I didn't pick that date.  That's just what they showed when I ordered. 

I ordered it,  just in case.  I figured if we get close to that date and we don't need it, I can cancel. If we need it, or if a neighbor needs it then I'll be glad I ordered it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I was able to order 2 six packs of toilet paper today from Amazon, for delivery on April 23rd.  I didn't pick that date.  That's just what they showed when I ordered. 

I ordered it,  just in case.  I figured if we get close to that date and we don't need it, I can cancel. If we need it, or if a neighbor needs it then I'll be glad I ordered it. 

Exactly, @gidgetgh 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland