Respected Contributor

Re: Planning a wedding for 450??

[ Edited ]

450 people, nah. I would send my regrets. No way in hell I would be attending.  2 nephews and a friends son were planning on getting married this year. Big family weddings.  They made a wise choice to just get married on the date they had planned and will have a reception at a later, safer date.  They just had immediate family, backyard weddings. The pictures were beautiful All were less than 20 people attending. Noting wrong with that. They all enjoyed themselves. We will celebrate with them when it is safe to do so.

Honored Contributor

People can plan anything they want, if he can find a venue that is willing to ignore the restrictions, that's between him and the venue.  As for guests, it's up to each guest to decide if they want to attend something like that.  An invitation is not royal summons....LOL    I don't know about his state but my state imposes heavy fines on the venue for exceeding the guest limit for functions.  I think its something like $300 for each guest over the 75 allowed.  And that was for an outdoor wedding.  Big indoor events are not allowed and probably won't be for a long time.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Because I'm tired of the whole megillah, along with any and every discussion thereof, my only thought is that if invited, I wouldn't go. Then again, I probably wouldn't go regardless. I'd add, that's simply a ridiculous number of guests in my opinion.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Planning on 400 Regrets but thank you and here's your gift. 😉

We are living in a strange time. Some people will come to this wedding. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Anyone planning a wedding during the pandemic for more than 10 people is just plain selfish. I can't believe a poster here had a family wedding with 50 people and they were eating together, dancing, what are these people thinking?

The number of people is not the issue.  It's about percentage of capacity.  50 people during a pandemic sounds like a lot to me too, but it completely depends on the capacity of the room.  50 people in a room meant for 50 is one thing, but entirely different if the room is meant for 100 or more, with plenty of room to move around and stay apart.

I also wouldn't assume they weren't social distancing and taking other precautions.  People dancing together who live in the same household (i.e. couples) is perfectly fine.  Best not to jump on a poster without knowing the details and assuming she was irresponsible.  Calling her selfish is unnecessarily unkind.

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Anyone planning a wedding during the pandemic for more than 10 people is just plain selfish. I can't believe a poster here had a family wedding with 50 people and they were eating together, dancing, what are these people thinking?

@RetRN  I can only guess that you were referring to me. If you read my post I mentioned that social distancing was practiced. Seating a group who lives together at a table is perfectly acceptable.Allowing 2 couples at a time who are together to dance on opposite ends of the dance floor is acceptable. 6 ft of separation was maintained at all times between tables & dancing couples. When leaving to use the restroom masks were worn.
  50 people, per N.Y. State mandate, in a room that can hold 400 is easily doable with social distancing.

You ask what were we thinking? We were thinking that life handed us lemons & we turned it into a refreshing drink of lemonade.

We violated no rules & gave my son & daughter in law the wonderful memorable wedding that they so richly deserved.

Congratulations on your son's marriage!  It might not have been exactly as planned, but it will be a lovely memory for all of you nevertheless.  I wish the bride and groom much happiness!

Esteemed Contributor

I wasn't a fan of weddings that size before Covid. My brother had about 500 people at his wedding and I thought that was over the top ridiculous at the time.  In today's climate, I think they ought to let people know they've invited that many so the potential guests can make an informed decision about whether or not to attend.

We went to a wedding about a month ago.  I didn't even know these people; it was someone my husband knew through work.  He was a mentor to the bride and really wanted to go.  It was an outdoor wedding, and when we got there, I noticed there were masks and a choice of 3 ribbons to wear around our wrists:   

green=I'm comfortable with anybody coming up to talk to me.

red=I'm social distancing, so keep your distance.

yellow=proceed with caution

(my words. . .they had a pretty sign to share what the ribbons were all about)

There were about 50 people there and I was one of 4 wearing a mask.  Just about everybody wore green ribbons.  I kept my distance and thankfully my husband was ready to go soon after the ceremony, so we didn't stay to eat.  

Honored Contributor

Must have deep pockets........

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

The number of people is not the issue.  It's about percentage of capacity.  50 people during a pandemic sounds like a lot to me too, but it completely depends on the capacity of the room.  50 people in a room meant for 50 is one thing, but entirely different if the room is meant for 100 or more, with plenty of room to move around and stay apart.

I also wouldn't assume they weren't social distancing and taking other precautions.  People dancing together who live in the same household (i.e. couples) is perfectly fine.  Best not to jump on a poster without knowing the details and assuming she was irresponsible.  Calling her selfish is unnecessarily unkind.

@NYC Susan  No, the issue is not the percentage of capacity. The issue is that we are in the middle of an uncontrolled pandemic.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@NYC Susan  No, the issue is not the percentage of capacity. The issue is that we are in the middle of an uncontrolled pandemic.

@willdob3  Places are opening according to guidelines. Our restaurants are now open to fifty percent capacity. Everyone is going. Venues have capacities according to their size. This is what's happening in my county in NY. If things weren't going well guidelines would change.