Respected Contributor

Re: Planning a wedding for 450??

Last year, before the pandemic, our neighbors son got married.  It was a huge affair, over 1,000 guests and our neighbor said that was small for his culture.  

Esteemed Contributor

My son got married last weekend .The guest list originally comprised of 375 people.Because of Covid it was cut down to 50!! It turned out to be a beautiful memorable event.

Based on what I'm hearing Covld is going to be around for a long time.I doubt that wedding is going to go forward with 450 guests.Unless it's in Florida or a similar state that isn't following the science.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My thoughts are a whole lotta' mixed feelings.

On one hand I'm thinking...'what an optomist'...then I'm thinking..'what an idiot'...again...they must have money to burn...but the other pesky side of my brain says...'these people are(depending on contract) causing a lot of businesses to loose a lot of money...but then I think, 'what business in their right mind would agree to plan (and agree) to provide everything for 450 people in this Covid age of not knowing from one minute to the other'.

Phew!  See what I mean?  If I had to wrap my feelings in a bow...I'd say...stupids must have a way of identifying other stupids.

Oh that last part was hysterical...it’s called birds of a feather flocking. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you are planning a 450 invitation list for a wedding you probably have the money for it.

You probably have a list for what is expected $ from each guest.

I doubt if 450 all live in the same area so you probably have to put your guest in a hotel.

You probably expect to have a list for things and where to buy for  anyone invited to a shower or engagement party.

If you do not have any concerns about Covid you may have already purchased a good insurance policy for your loved ones.

And, you may have a large ego and foolish expectations for these times.

This is a family with the money to have such an event.

The best of luck to them and may they have the wedding they want.

I would decline the invitation to attend but if it is an Italian wedding the $$$$ money envelope for the brides bag will be expected and recorded in a book.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

Anyone planning a wedding during the pandemic for more than 10 people is just plain selfish. I can't believe a poster here had a family wedding with 50 people and they were eating together, dancing, what are these people thinking?

@RetRN  I can only guess that you were referring to me. If you read my post I mentioned that social distancing was practiced. Seating a group who lives together at a table is perfectly acceptable.Allowing 2 couples at a time who are together to dance on opposite ends of the dance floor is acceptable. 6 ft of separation was maintained at all times between tables & dancing couples. When leaving to use the restroom masks were worn.
  50 people, per N.Y. State mandate, in a room that can hold 400 is easily doable with social distancing.

You ask what were we thinking? We were thinking that life handed us lemons & we turned it into a refreshing drink of lemonade.

We violated no rules & gave my son & daughter in law the wonderful memorable wedding that they so richly deserved.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

A colleague of mine, who is getting married in March, just informed me yesterday that the guest list is comprised of 450 people. 

What are your thoughts?

@San Antonio Gal 

What state?

Is he renting out a sports statium that can handle 450 people at a safe distance - standing & sitting?

The D.J. will be in the control booth

Bridial party & fam will be in the luxury box

The other luxury boxes can be set up to serve the guest buffett style. 

All 450 Guests can eat their food in the "decorated" stands 6 ft apart.

===================================

@chiclets  

"it is an Italian wedding the $$$$ money envelope for the brides bag will be expected and recorded in a book."

Your comment reminded me of the wedding scenes in the movies

Goodfellas

Godfather I

Love, Honor & Obey: The Last Mafia Marriage

Smiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

The longer this goes on, the more you wonder "What were they thinking".  Some people will never again be seen as having good judgment.  Going to be some shifting of social circles.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac 

@chiclets  

"it is an Italian wedding the $$$$ money envelope for the brides bag will be expected and recorded in a book."

Your comment reminded me of the wedding scenes in the movies

Goodfellas

Godfather I

Love, Honor & Obey: The Last Mafia Marriage

Smiley Very Happy

Yes that was my wedding!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ 

Your son's wedding was wonderful.

You overcame so many obstacles and going from 350 people to 50  was not easy to do.

You did what had to be done and everyone was safe.

It was your wedding to plan and no one else knows what it was walking in your shoes arranging all those things.

Validation is not needed.

Remember how lovely it was and ironically because it was a wedding during a pandemic it certainly will be a wedding to remember for all!

I really do not think the poster meant to upset you. I think maybe she did not follow your journey through the wedding plans and all your concerns.

Valued Contributor

As mama always said..."you can't fix stupid" 🤷🏻‍♀️