Trusted Contributor

Re: Planning A Celebration For My Dad

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think I'd be tempted to have an affair celebrating dad this summer when the weather isn't so iffy and you could do something outside.  Maybe rent a Pavillion in a park or something.  Picnic food is so good and easy too.  Decorations much more simple

It's his 90th BIRTHDAY.  Think a little bigger and more DIGNIFIED for the guy than sticking him outside in the summer heat and serving him a hot dog on a plastic tablecloth. 

EXACTLY. She needs to host an event that's classy, not a cheap outdoor picnic.

Respected Contributor

You're so sweet to do this for your dad. What a wonderful daughter!

I find it easier to plan a party if there's a theme. Does your dad have a hobby? Perhaps you can decorate around that. 4 hours is plenty long. Are you going to have alcoholic beverages? Or keep it soft drinks and juice? Have you thought about live music vs a DJ? And yes, a photographer is a must for something as monumental as this.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Trusted Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

I find it easier to plan a party if there's a theme. Does your dad have a hobby? Perhaps you can decorate around that. 4 hours is plenty long. Are you going to have alcoholic beverages? Or keep it soft drinks and juice? Have you thought about live music vs a DJ? And yes, a photographer is a must for something as monumental as this.

I would not recommend a theme party for a 90 year old man.  It is very undignified.  It should be kept classy. The point is for the family to not only celebrate the guy, but to show him the deep respect he deserves for his life's achievements.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think 3 hours  might be more in line with 90 years old. Plenty of time for family and friends to gather, talk and eat. Check out the restaurants in your area that have back rooms for larger gatherings. If there aren't any then start looking into other venues. Maybe a hotel that has an attached restaurant? I'm trying to think of places where you could get all that you need at one location rather than trying to do a massive coordination of several people. Some restaurants will let you bring in your own table decorations while others have planners and a set stock. 

First in line is to get an estimate of how many will attend. Then the venue, the food (I like the buffet idea or if it's in the early afternoon lots of finger type foods). A DJ or someone who would gladly man the CD player for the music selections-there are several CDs from his era available. eta: Definitely find a good photographer!!

I think this is a fantastic idea, a wonderful way of celebrating your dad's life-

Respected Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

I would not recommend a theme party for a 90 year old man.  It is very undignified.  It should be kept classy. The point is for the family to not only celebrate the guy, but to show him the deep respect he deserves for his life's achievements.

I don't know the OPs father. I'm not sure if he's the stoic type or the easy going fun type. It's up to the OP. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

What a wonderful way to think of your dad and show him how special he is! I think it's great that you want to have his swimg music there too!

I have one more suggestion: when my friend's mom recently turned 90, she had a "card shower" for her. She lives in the middle of the country and almost all of us have never met her, but we sent cards - all of us! My friend said her mom enjoyed looking at them all. She sat with her and told her a little about each of us. They too had a big celebration where she lives, with her family and close friends there! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Here is how I'd proceed, having done more fund raising events than I can count:

1.  Determine the number of guests likely to come on some selected weekend in his birthday month.  Do this with email, phone calls, notes, etc.

2. With a general idea of your attendance, call halls, fire houses, restaurants and other venues in your area to see if they have a space for your approximate count.

A space slightly smaller is better than too big.  If many people will come from a distance, consider a hotel where the function can accommodate both guests and the event.  Your out-of-town guests will appreciate this! 

3. Most places that hold events have either their own catering, or they have services they often work with.  The venue will probably have an Event Planner whose job it is to help you take care of everything from food, tables, music, decorations and microphones.  Use the Planner... it's their job to make these things their problem, not yours. 

4 hours is alot of time if you have a sit down meal, evening "program", drinking and dancing.  If not, cut to 2-3 hours.  Your venue may have a time that you must pay for even if you are not using all of it.

4. Keep a notebook with dividers about EVERYTHING you make decisions about.  Once you and the Planner decide on your date, time, details & costs, get your contract filled out.  The venue can bump your event if you don't get it in writing. 

5.  Send a "Hold the Date Card" to all invitees if your event is more than 4 months away.  Send your actual invitations about 6-7 weeks ahead and pick an RSVP date about 2 weeks from the event.  The hall really only needs 3-4 days notice of your final count, but if you can tell them sooner, they appreciate it.  Plan to have to chase down about 1/3 of your guests for their RSVP!

6. I'd put a small committee together to help you stay on track and come up with a time-line for the evening.  Don't try to do all of this yourself!  Think about having someone act as an emcee to keep things moving smoothly that evening. 

Out-of Towners may need rides from airports, or information about available shuttles to hotels.  I wouls assume there will be many seniors invited, so check into handicap availability.  Maybe some teens can be pressed into driving.  If there will be small children, think about their food needs and maybe some teens would help with a craft table for them.  Little gift bags with dollar store toys can be helpful.

For that matter, gift bags for hotel guests with water, muffin, magazine are nice for greeting guests, especially seniors who have long travel.  This is an easy job for a couple of local relatives to take on and deliver to the hotel front desk.

I think you will do fine with this lovely celebration as long as you are organized and find a few seriously helpful relatives.  Best of luck in your planning!!

Honored Contributor

You are going to have a wonderful celebration!

I am planning my mother's 90 birthday this year as well.  My mom just loves when a lot of family and friends are together, she doesn't care what we do.  But this is what's planned -- I hope one or some of these ideas may spark other ideas for you:

Saturday = fish fry and crab feast (and hot dogs and burgers and such) in a park under a tent. All catered by a local restaurant. I arranged caterer and park authority contracts signed once we knew date and number of people.  I created something called a Private Event on FB (90% of family & friends at least have FB accounts, even if they are not active on there posting every day).  For non-FB folks, my sister mailed invites.  RSVPs on FB and the few calls to my sister are rolling in great.  Caterer stays for 1 & 1/2 hours; total cook-out duration is 3 hours max.  We are having a couple of raffle games & prizes that a cousin is in charge of putting together.

Sunday = church, then brunch at a restaurant attached to the hotel we are staying for the weekend (everyone is making their OWN hotel plans and reservations, but I did get a block of rooms for event).  I signed hotel and restaurant contracts to include private room for brunch and select hotel rooms in separate wing that welcome pets.  My niece is developing a video of photos and old 35mm film of my mom to show on Sunday.  She is also our experienced photographer.

Since this is an entire weekend, people can come to one or both events; they are letting us know.  We are having it in southeastern VA, so they can also do their own thing (I insisted we not be joined at the hip the entire weekend), like go to the beach, shop, art galleries, whatever.  I put my son in charge of the entertainment suggestions after the brunch, and transportation for all the cousins in their 20's & 30's.  My older sister is in charge of the little kids' entertainment (and babysitting if needed).  

My my mantra is divide & conquer -- get help so you don't feel overwhelmed! It will all be marvelous!

I reserved an extra day at the hotel after everyone has gone back home.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have those who are coming to write something down about your Dad, either a memory or a funny story. Try to get them ahead of time so they can be put into a book and handed to your Dad at the party.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

That's what I would suggest too and they provide all the tablecloths and silverware. I would select two to three entrees and let the guest choose what they want. That way you will sort of know what the expense would be. First thing to do is get a head count and find out how many people the room would accomodate. Call around for estimates. We did this for my daughters baby shower and it was much cheaper than renting a hall. She had about 50 guests. It was $75 for 4 hours which I thought was very reasonable.