Esteemed Contributor

Re: Planning A Celebration For My Dad

I actually think 4 hours is too long and maybe way too much for your father at his age.  I would do 3 max

Start putting together a guest list.  You really cannot determine where to hold the party or talk to caterers until you have some grasp of the number of guests.  Check out fire halls, church halls, hotel ballrooms etc.

Honored Contributor

As long as he's up to it, 2 hrs. should be plenty. For anyone, in my opinion only. On the invite, write "no gifts" bring pictures to share!!! Much more fun. Get a great sheet cake, that might mean more to him than others. Even a small party sounds really nice.

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think I'd be tempted to have an affair celebrating dad this summer when the weather isn't so iffy and you could do something outside.  Maybe rent a Pavillion in a park or something.  Picnic food is so good and easy too.  Decorations much more simple

It's his 90th BIRTHDAY.  Think a little bigger and more DIGNIFIED for the guy than sticking him outside in the summer heat and serving him a hot dog on a plastic tablecloth. 

Club houses have A/C.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love that you are doing this. I think a lot depends on how many people will be helping with the planning and the work, lol. We had a surprise birthday party for my mom on her 80th. We did it all ourselves; one of my sisters and I planned it and 4 brothers and another sister, who all lived either out of state or at least a distance away, all immediately were on board and asking what we wanted/needed from them to help, in any and all ways. We rented a hall, once we determined the number of guests, hired a pro photographer, but we did the decorating and food preparation. The out of towners either arranged to get there a couple days early to do some food prep at our local houses or had ordered from local restaurants, and we all (including some grandchildren) met at the hall the night prior to the party (one of my daughters was a florist, so we had professional arrangements), to decorate and set everything up. My sister and I had so much fun planning and shopping for this party. I have to say, it all went beautifully, and we had so much fun as a family doing this for our mom. Almost 100 attended. The hardest thing was not letting any mention of this party slip while spending time with mom prior to the event, lol. I still think with much happiness of this special time spent with my siblings doing something special for our Mom. Whatever you decide, have a great time, it will be fun for your Dad and for you.

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Can I suggest that you get relatives and friends to make a video of their memories and favorite stories about your dad, share copies of photos, letters, even those who may not be able to attend.
Also video your dad sharing his memories of his life.

Have a wonderful party!

Esteemed Contributor

We had a gathering at the church social hall for my mother-in- laws 90th birthday.  Just a big cake, cookies, and beverages, purchased by her children.  Invited family and friends.  People walked around and chatted.  My mother in law was seated and the guest went up and chatted with her.  It was just what she wanted (and was a surprise).