Super Contributor

Re: Planes?, trains?, buses?, and boats?

I've flown and ridden in boats many times, although I've never been on a cruise.  I once took Amtrak from Washington, D.C. to New York City.  I've also ridden the subway in NY and Europe.  I've also ridden buses.  When I was in my teens I would often ride the bus downtown to see a movie.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Respected Contributor

Have been on all modes of transportation. If there is one of those excursion type train rides nearby, that would be a lot of fun for a family. 

Respected Contributor

Doing the trans Canada train ride is on my bucket list.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Thanks Shorty! Finally an interesting post attracting interesting people!!
Respected Contributor

Yes to all.  I live on an island, so boats and ferries are a way of life.  I lived in Europe many years, so trains were a way of life.  I've lived in cities and used buses and other forms of public transport, including buses for longer trips.  I started flying transcon at the age of five.  Our family was spread out and it was a necessity.  

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

When we were little girls our mom would take us to see our Grandparents in Pennsylvania either by train into Baltimore or by a double decker, scenic cruiser Greyhound bus.  To this day I can still remember the sound of the train, butterum Lifesavers and our sailor dresses..  clickety clack clickety clack..  It was so exciting and scary at the train station in Johnson City, Tn... and on the bus ride we sat up top..  been on a plane several times and boats.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

Shorty, some day you could take them on a train ride around the horse shoe turn in Altoona,PA. It is something to experience.

Respected Contributor

I've traveled by all the above.  I'm not fond of any but a planes gets you there fastest.

People rave about the Euro rail system.  It's efficient in that it keeps to schedule but the times we've traveled on it, it's been less than pleasant.  In the summer it's hot and in the winter it's cold.  We've always had filthy, overflowing toilets.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@muttmom wrote:

I've traveled by all the above.  I'm not fond of any but a planes gets you there fastest.

People rave about the Euro rail system.  It's efficient in that it keeps to schedule but the times we've traveled on it, it's been less than pleasant.  In the summer it's hot and in the winter it's cold.  We've always had filthy, overflowing toilets.

We had similar experiences with trains in Europe. Simply disgusting.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting. Loved reading all of your great stories! There are no trains here except short excursions to site see, but perhaps we can take the grandkids one day soon. (The Fall foilage train would be cool IMO). Well anyway I hope once my kids and grandkids are my age they will have traveled on all of the above.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles